Tailgate Rattle, 2007 Rx350

Over the last several months my 2007 RX350 has developed a rattling noise from the vicinity of the tailgate when driving over rough roads (all we have in SE Michigan!!). I've confirmed that all the tire change tools are properly secured, also confirmed that the spare tire is tight in it's housing. Removed the "roller shade" cargo cover (which rattled from day 1) but the rattle still persists. Have ridden in the back while wife drove and don't think the noise is coming from within the tailgate door itself. Seems to be coming from either side, but very hard to isolate.

Looking for other's comments before I begin the dealer adventure.

Hi Anasazi,

Even though it doesn't sound like it is coming from the tailgate- I would check the license plate & frame- they can bounce when driving and sound like a rattle. I use small, adhesive backed rubber bumpers onmine, to keep it quiet.

Jon

Hi Anasazi,

Even though it doesn't sound like it is coming from the tailgate- I would check the license plate & frame- they can bounce when driving and sound like a rattle. I use small, adhesive backed rubber bumpers onmine, to keep it quiet.

Jon

I had the same issue with my 2007 RX350. There's a gap issue with the tailgate. Take it into Lexus - it's a free repair.

Thanks for this advice - I assumed one cause might be that things had loosened up but appreciate hearing about your experience.

Over the last several months my 2007 RX350 has developed a rattling noise from the vicinity of the tailgate when driving over rough roads (all we have in SE Michigan!!). I've confirmed that all the tire change tools are properly secured, also confirmed that the spare tire is tight in it's housing. Removed the "roller shade" cargo cover (which rattled from day 1) but the rattle still persists. Have ridden in the back while wife drove and don't think the noise is coming from within the tailgate door itself. Seems to be coming from either side, but very hard to isolate.

I own a 2007 RX350 and have experienced the same thing from time to time. The good news is it is always the same fix. There are little latches just below both sides of the cargo cover track. These depress inward and latch to lock the cover closed. If they are not in the forward position, they will rattle against the rear door. I can email you photos if you want them.

I own a 2007 RX350 and have experienced the same thing from time to time. The good news is it is always the same fix. There are little latches just below both sides of the cargo cover track. These depress inward and latch to lock the cover closed. If they are not in the forward position, they will rattle against the rear door. I can email you photos if you want them.

Thanks for the great advice. I know the latches you mean and just verified they were in the rearward position - probably because I have the cargo cover removed (as it seems to rattle too.) Anyway, I moved them to the forward position but will have to wait until tomorrow to drive the car and see if that takes care of it. I'll do an A-B-A test to check it and let you know.