A/c Issue

93ls400walt

I have a 93ls with 130k miles on it. Regular maintenance, ect.... I live in the low desert where the a/c runs on high all of the time. The a/c works great and very cold.

But yesterday as I came to a s0top at the light. The a/c " clicked " off ( like I hit the off switch ) then right back on. Drove 20 more minutes with no problem. Then today on the way home from work this happened twice. Both of these times, like before, just as the car came to a complete stop. Then right back on before the fans had completely stopped spinning.

I have spliced in new wires on the trunk harness from a previous issue.

Historical note: I have cel codes 41 TPS, 47 traction control ( which is weird since I do not have traction control ) And the cell code for #2 vehicle speed sensor. These codes have been present for months. I doubt they are related to the a/c issue. But you never know.

My thought would be an overheating a/c relay. What do you think? THANKS

A couple things come to mind.

1) Maybe normal operation. The system has a magnetic clutch on the compressor that should normally cycle on and off determined by the draw on the AC system (cooling load of the system). Maybe you just never noticed it before and you probably would be able to hear it at higher speeds. When you say clicked off are you talking about noise under hood or blower motor in cabin?

2) Could be low freon. There is a safety mechanism if you are low on refrigerant the system shuts down to protect the compressor. A simple top up would fix this but it may be temporary if there is a leak.

Thanks for your reply. It is the blower/fan in the cabin. There is an audible click when it shuts off. The no other noise than the blower starting again, Just as if you had turned the a/c on.

Today it happened twice at the same stop light. This is on high blower speed. I switched to med speed on the fan and it did not happen any further on the rest of the drive home. Around 20 minutes.

I will check the freon inspection window to see if it is low.

Walt

Thanks for your reply. It is the blower/fan in the cabin. There is an audible click when it shuts off. The no other noise than the blower starting again, Just as if you had turned the a/c on.

Today it happened twice at the same stop light. This is on high blower speed. I switched to med speed on the fan and it did not happen any further on the rest of the drive home. Around 20 minutes.

I will check the freon inspection window to see if it is low.

Walt

Check your extra high speed relay for the blower motor. I would also check that your charging system is giving you adequate power at idle.