Tail Light Converter Box (other Choices)?

skongolf

I just joined this forum and did do a long search, but could not find an answer. I have a 99 lexus RX300 with the tow package and the 15 Amp tail light converter box is bad. Power to it, but nothing comming out the other side. I have put in the part number I found on here #08921-48070 and 08921-48051 and have found a few options, but no pics. What I am wondering is has anyone bought an aftermarket box and just spliced it in? I know there are a few companies that make them, but alot of the boxes you have to run a battery wire to the battery and a new ground. Does the stock box have a power wire and ground wire going into the harness and if so what are the colors? I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thanks

I would just get a generic one from etrailer.com for less than $50 and splice it in. I do remember reading about someone using a generic one from Walmart as a replacement but I can't find it right now. If you follow the discussion in this link you will see a wiring diagram that will answer your wiring questions.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-first-g...-it-towing.html

Here is the converter from etrailer. If you click on the instructions you will get the wiring diagram. You should be able to match it up with the lexus wiring diagram for installation.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEE~119176.htm

Yes I used one from Walmart. You just have to figure the wiring out.....

I tried to PM you, but it wont let me. How hard was it to do the wiring? Did you have to run a ground and power wire, or were you able to just splice into the harness? I am fairly good at wiring things up, but just don't want to fry anything. Also do you know if the Lexus runs off a 2 or 3 wire system? I'll probly head to wal mart later and try and find the one you got.

Thanks

I doubt if it a big deal to run the power wire for a trailer light harness to the battery. Maybe I shouldn't say that since I didn't do it myself on my 00 LS400.

I had my car in for some other service and, while my car was up on the lift, my indie mechanic ran the power wire for my Modulite trailer light harness underneath the car to a terminal in the underhood fusebox. He ran the power wire out of the trunk through an existing hole for an ABS wire. He used plastic cable ties to hold the power wire to the bottom of the car. He did a good job of hiding the power wire -- I can't see it when I look under the car.

I bought my Modulite trailer light harness at at a local trailer supply store but I remember that etrailer, where I bought the hitch for my LS, carried the same one.

If you do run a power wire to the battery or underhood fuse box, be sure to use an in-line fuse - my Modulite kit came with one. My mechanic installed the in-line fuse where the power wire attaches to the underhood fuse box terminal so that it is covered by the fuse box cover. The total time for installing the Modulite harness and running it under the car to the battery was less than one hour -- at least that was what I was billed for.

If you have a trailer supply store nearby, I'd pass on Walmart and go there -- they can likely tell you exactly what you need and maybe even install it for you.