The (technical) Demise Of An Ls400

jcrome04

Hey everyone, if you've been following my previous thread on my road trip, you know what's going on, the LS is wrecked, and at this point I'm 95% sure it's going to get totaled out because of the cost of the cosmetic damage.

If you haven't yet heard, here's a link to my prev. thread at post #11 where the details begin..

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=385152

My first estimate for just the bodywork is +$5,000.00. That's not factoring in whatever problem there was with the phantom PS leak, and any other hidden problems right now.

Here are some pictures..

Before.. on the way to SLC Thurs afternoon...

0827091637.jpg

Immediately after the spin out, pulled it onto the shoulder..

0830090704.jpg

60mi to Burley, ID.... Ugh...

0830090947.jpg

Very nice young lady re-mounting the two off'd tires... Only cost me $10 :)

0830091114.jpg

Outside the Tire Center...

0830091143.jpg

By the time we got to Prosser in eastern WA, I noticed we had a tag along.. ;)

0830091920.jpg

At home, After ~2000mi trip :D

0831091132.jpg

Sorry, but I just had to laugh! AHAAHHAhahaahha---what a sight that car is after a road trip! (The bird is an excellent touch!)

I am glad you are okay.

Where is the damage? All I see is a problem with the fender. Get a used one slapped on!

[EDIT]I see from the other thread that there is some damage to the steering system. Too bad...

You mentioned $5,000 for the body work? What body work? I had a door shell, fender, PS rack, PS return line, and tie rods done for $2900 after the fire Hydrent jumpped in front of me. If it is toteled, which seams strange, sell it to me and I'll fix it. Good luck on whatever you choose to do though. BTW what did you hit? Glad you were ok.

Just cause I didn't detail every bit of damage in pics doesn't mean there is none and it is in great condition. The thing is beat to hell.

If they won't total it I might just trade it in on something else..

That quote didn't include a lot of things either. like the wheels are scratched to hell. I don't want the vehicle back in half-assed condition. I want it back like it was.

In the end it's just a car. A nice car, but just a car.. If I wanted a beat up LS400 I would have bought a beat up LS400.

Maybe I'll get a 2000 LS. Been looking into 2003 Nissan Maxima as well.. The moral of this story, is that I'm over the LS lol. Time for something new.

also... the center console is bent against the driver's seat from my passenger pushing on it so hard... I'd rather have a new one.. than having it bent back into place (if possible without breaking) and I'm sure that's not a cheap fix.

Just cause I didn't detail every bit of damage in pics doesn't mean there is none and it is in great condition. The thing is beat to hell.

If they won't total it I might just trade it in on something else..

That quote didn't include a lot of things either. like the wheels are scratched to hell. I don't want the vehicle back in half-assed condition. I want it back like it was.

In the end it's just a car. A nice car, but just a car.. If I wanted a beat up LS400 I would have bought a beat up LS400.

Maybe I'll get a 2000 LS. Been looking into 2003 Nissan Maxima as well.. The moral of this story, is that I'm over the LS lol. Time for something new.

also... the center console is bent against the driver's seat from my passenger pushing on it so hard... I'd rather have a new one.. than having it bent back into place (if possible without breaking) and I'm sure that's not a cheap fix.

Once your ride gets wrecked it just doesn't have that same feel to it anymore even after it gets totally fixed.

D

Definately a great time to look for a new ride!

Looking foward to feedback on some test drives!

B)

Once your ride gets wrecked it just doesn't have that same feel to it anymore even after it gets totally fixed.

Definately a great time to look for a new ride!

Looking foward to feedback on some test drives!

B)

Couldn't have said it better myself B)

GS4 would be very nice!

But I'm thinking I might want something new... Maybe a new Celestial Blue Mazda3 5-Door?? B) haha

I won't recieve a dollar amount for my car till Tues... stupid holiday weekend.... So I don't even know how much I'll get.... Maybe $8ish?? Hoping for more... My agent checked on NADA and clean retail for my car was +$10g... Let's hope the appraisers feel the same way!

its not out of the question. I was offered $4300 for my 93 with 180K by american family.

Was that in 1999? :lol:

I consider my '97 LS400 Coach to be worth about $7000, and mine has 105k miles.

If jcrome gets $10k for his, I may have to consider wrecking my LS400 to collect $12k!

I got ~$6100 (Should have been around $6600 but they still took out my damn deductible! lol)

I figured they wouldn't just go off NADA so I was kind of expecting between 6-7k. I had 169,011miles on the clock.

I've decided on a 2006 Nissan Maxima SL. 3.5L v6. 265hp 255ft lbs. auto tilt/telescope wheel, memory seats, heated seats/steering wheel, HIDs, 5 spd sport shift. Black/black. B)

I got ~$6100 (Should have been around $6600 but they still took out my damn deductible! lol)

I figured they wouldn't just go off NADA so I was kind of expecting between 6-7k. I had 169,011miles on the clock.

I've decided on a 2006 Nissan Maxima SL. 3.5L v6. 265hp 255ft lbs. auto tilt/telescope wheel, memory seats, heated seats/steering wheel, HIDs, 5 spd sport shift. Black/black. B)

Nice touch with your avatar. Next you should change it to an "after" pic showing the damage ... being an "outside the box" member, would be original and haven't seen anyone else do it. Good luck with the Maxima, Jordan! :cheers:

You'll be back before you know it ;)

Yeah, I'll agree with dc, with the current crop of characters at the LOC, I'm sure you won't be able to resist jumping in on one topic or another. I know I can't spend as much time here as I used to or would like to, but I get back when I can and read up what I can. Your posts are some of the more interesting ones I run across.

If I was to crack up my '91 and replace it with say, another Bimmer (which I've owned and always liked), I know it would be only a matter of time before there was another Lexus in the garage. It gets in your blood! I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

Thanks EUBT. Might need a new avatar though!

I picked up a new car! 2006 Maxima SL. It's incredible! I'm loving it.

I'm going to make a new thread in the lounge with all the details. I'll post a link in here as well ;)