I Test Drove An Hs250h Last Evening

MDLexus

I know I'm a newbie here, but I wanted to share the experience. I have done a lot of research on the HS250h and had intended to try and get some information from owners on this forum before getting serious about it. That WAS my original motivation; however, things have changed.

Last night, I had a chance to drive a new Premium model HS250h in Maryland. It was a non-NAV system with few of the real high tech toys on it. I would have preferred to see one with the Tech Package.

BOTTOM LINE: Very unimpressive ride, limited trunk space and a real disappointing rear seat.

Yes, despite how great this car looked on paper, the real thing was underwhelming. For starters, I had also driven a 2010 Prius and had something to compare it to. Of course, having driven an RX300 for many years, it was a bit of a "Come Down" in luxury and ride.

The rear seat is only adequate for 4 people. Sitting in the center of the rear seat (e.g. as a 5th person) meant that your back was flush against the raised armrest -- and it is extremely HARD and uncomfortable. You would not want to take this car for a long trip and try to be the 5th person, child or adult.

The road noise was very much higher than an RX and the noise was noticeable. Such a shame in a car that had so much promise. It's more than just tire noise, the car needs insulation.

The trunk, while advertised to be pretty large and able to hold two sets of golf clubs or more, isn't all that large. Unless you have suitcases that are long and slender like golf bags, you're going to notice htis trunk isn't as big as you may need.

It's a beautiful piece of technology, but just falls short of the Lexus standard IMHO. Now it's time to rethink. Decided not to purchase one.

Just want to share this with you all so you make sure to test drive before placing a deposit. Caveat Emptor from a disappointed Lexus Owner.

at this point I think the HS250h is in a really tight niche. Base price is 34k which is the top out for the prius. Many of the same options are available for both cars (LKA, Radar cruise control, etc) and some things are found exclusively on each model(solar sunroof, Ventilated seats). Once you price the same options on the HS it comes out 10k more. Is the 10k really worth it?

I honestly feel like the HS is just for people who want a prius but cant dare been seen in a toyota. The interior dimensions are actually bigger in the prius (headroom and rear leg room). I have to ask what is the point? The HS isn't particularly fast, roomie or luxurious. I dont understand how the HS is so slow. It's using the same engine as the TCH, but it's slower. You can't blame weight because the FFH is 100lbs heavier gets better fuel economy and is faster.

Many other hybrids offer larger,faster and more fuel economic packages. I will always give Lexus the assumption of having the better & quieter ride, but I have driven the GS 450h and ES 300. The ride on those are great, but the NAH was close.

at this point I think the HS250h is in a really tight niche. Base price is 34k which is the top out for the prius. Many of the same options are available for both cars (LKA, Radar cruise control, etc) and some things are found exclusively on each model(solar sunroof, Ventilated seats). Once you price the same options on the HS it comes out 10k more. Is the 10k really worth it?

I honestly feel like the HS is just for people who want a prius but cant dare been seen in a toyota. The interior dimensions are actually bigger in the prius (headroom and rear leg room). I have to ask what is the point? The HS isn't particularly fast, roomie or luxurious. I dont understand how the HS is so slow. It's using the same engine as the TCH, but it's slower. You can't blame weight because the FFH is 100lbs heavier gets better fuel economy and is faster.

Many other hybrids offer larger,faster and more fuel economic packages. I will always give Lexus the assumption of having the better & quieter ride, but I have driven the GS 450h and ES 300. The ride on those are great, but the NAH was close.

Your assumption about better and quieter ride is very much on target, except for the HS. They did do more for the handling than the Prius, but missed the boat completely when it came to insulating the cabin from road noise. Oh yes, did I mention the sub-Lexus interior comfort?

Your assumption about better and quieter ride is very much on target, except for the HS. They did do more for the handling than the Prius, but missed the boat completely when it came to insulating the cabin from road noise. Oh yes, did I mention the sub-Lexus interior comfort?

Are you comparing the HS to the Prius V (which comes with the bigger wheels and better handling... It is supposed to have really good handling)? I think they did miss the boat on the interior... they could have still offered a wood trim (especially on the "premium" trim) and still been "green". Bamboo is considered a green building material and looks great (I have bamboo flooring). I also think that maybe... just maybe they could have thrown in AWD and not hurt fuel economy (have the electric motors drive the rear wheels when needed like in the RX450H). That would have made the HS the FIRST hybrid car (under 100k) with awd "safety". Taking a look at the whole package, it seems to me that the HS is rushed (for whatever reason) to market. Maybe to beat the other Luxury brands that are going to intro cheaper diesels to market.

Are you comparing the HS to the Prius V (which comes with the bigger wheels and better handling... It is supposed to have really good handling)? I think they did miss the boat on the interior... they could have still offered a wood trim (especially on the "premium" trim) and still been "green". Bamboo is considered a green building material and looks great (I have bamboo flooring). I also think that maybe... just maybe they could have thrown in AWD and not hurt fuel economy (have the electric motors drive the rear wheels when needed like in the RX450H). That would have made the HS the FIRST hybrid car (under 100k) with awd "safety". Taking a look at the whole package, it seems to me that the HS is rushed (for whatever reason) to market. Maybe to beat the other Luxury brands that are going to intro cheaper diesels to market.

Yes, I also drove a Prius V.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my observations since I had owned a Prius and test drove the HS also.

Felt too much like the Prius (Not that that is bad) just not what I expect to see in the Lexus. It set high like the Prius and felt like it missed the Lexus feel. Nice car and I think there may be a small market for it. I had every intention of being a possible buyer for one until I saw it and drove it. Photos make it look larger than it really is. I decided to go with the RX350, couldn't let loose of enought cash to get the RX450.

Bob

• 1 month later...

I'm a new owner of a Premium HS250h with a Nav system, as of a few days ago. I've only driven the vehicle on a few short trips. I haven't owned nor driven a Prius but I did a 1000 mile trip in a Hybrid Camry so I have a little experience with a hybrid. I've owned a 97 ES300 since new.

I agree with almost all of MDLexus' comments. The vehicle is noisier than my ES300, both on the street and highway. I think the higher speed road noise comes from the 18" tires but the lower speed noise comes from the powertrain. There's a major whine from the motor when the vehicle comes to a stop. Lexus should have put more sound insulation between the drive machinery and the cabin. If noise is an issue I would probably pass on the HS.

Other comments: The HS cabin is not as nice as the ES350. If there was a hybrid version of the ES350 I would have bought it instead of the HS. This purchase was primarily for my wife. She originally wanted the RX400h but decided to stay with a sedan. So, the choice was to get a new ES or the HS. We went with the HS primarily for the hybrid technology. But, after owning this car for nearly a week, the ES would have been a better choice. I hope Lexus puts more emphasis in making the future version of the HS ride like an ES. Can't comment on the mileage yet because we've barely used a quarter tank so far. I'll post some numbers after we go through a couple of tanks.

I know I'm a newbie here, but I wanted to share the experience. I have done a lot of research on the HS250h and had intended to try and get some information from owners on this forum before getting serious about it. That WAS my original motivation; however, things have changed.

Last night, I had a chance to drive a new Premium model HS250h in Maryland. It was a non-NAV system with few of the real high tech toys on it. I would have preferred to see one with the Tech Package.

BOTTOM LINE: Very unimpressive ride, limited trunk space and a real disappointing rear seat.

Yes, despite how great this car looked on paper, the real thing was underwhelming. For starters, I had also driven a 2010 Prius and had something to compare it to. Of course, having driven an RX300 for many years, it was a bit of a "Come Down" in luxury and ride.

The rear seat is only adequate for 4 people. Sitting in the center of the rear seat (e.g. as a 5th person) meant that your back was flush against the raised armrest -- and it is extremely HARD and uncomfortable. You would not want to take this car for a long trip and try to be the 5th person, child or adult.

The road noise was very much higher than an RX and the noise was noticeable. Such a shame in a car that had so much promise. It's more than just tire noise, the car needs insulation.

The trunk, while advertised to be pretty large and able to hold two sets of golf clubs or more, isn't all that large. Unless you have suitcases that are long and slender like golf bags, you're going to notice htis trunk isn't as big as you may need.

It's a beautiful piece of technology, but just falls short of the Lexus standard IMHO. Now it's time to rethink. Decided not to purchase one.

Just want to share this with you all so you make sure to test drive before placing a deposit. Caveat Emptor from a disappointed Lexus Owner.

• 4 weeks later...

I received a Lexus HS 250h as a loaner car from my dealer, so I can add to what's been said already above.

It was interesting for me to drive the HS 250, since I've never experienced a hybrid before, either as a driver or passenger. I was excited to have the opportunity to try out this vehicle.

First off, I was impressed by the car's technology. Hybrid technology is cool. The Lexus HS 250h I drove had the technology package with Nav and XM Radio, and it was cool looking at the information screens showing the power and fuel economy. The joystick used to control the on-screen display is easy to use, and I actually prefer it over the touch screen since it's less distracting. However, I dislike having to navigate through the menu so much to actually do anything! For instance, in my own vehicle, I often switch between viewing the Navigation screen and the Audio display to see what's on XM Radio. I can do this by the push of a button. But on the HS 250h, it seems I can only see the audio display by going via the Menu, which takes several clicks. This is very annoying.

Now for how it drives.

I'm both impressed and disappointed.

I'm impressed when the hybrid does what it's supposed to do -- which is drive off battery power. When cruising or coasting, it's great to be running (seemingly) powerless, without using a wasteful combustion engine.

What I'm not impressed by is the lack of power and the unimpressive actual fuel economy.

My daily drive is a long drive -- 60 miles each way, which is mostly freeway driving, at a steady speed. No traffic. With my Lexus GS 350, I average 27-28 mpg. I was naively hopeful that the Hybrid would give amazing fuel economy, something like 40-50 mpg, and that would be something I'd actually be pretty excited about, considering how much driving I do.

However, with this kind of driving, the Lexus HS 250h was only giving me around 35 mpg average. That's not a whole lot better than the 28 mpg average I get with my much more comfortable, much more powerful and much more fun to drive GS 350.

The handling of the HS 250h is okay. I hadn't really tested it.

The power is disappointing. It's okay on POWER mode, but on normal mode or ECON mode, it's really slow to accelerate from a stop and really poor at passing.

For me, the trade-off for the Hybrid isn't worth it. Why would I give up so much for a measly 5-7 mpg improvement?

I'd say a hybrid should have either: a) really good mpg (50-60+) but compromised power, or B) slightly improved mpg (maybe 35-40) but full power. The HS 250h has neither.

I'll stick with my combustion vehicle!

I do hope (and am optimistic that it will) that hybrid technology will continue to improve. Lighter materials, better batteries, more powerful electric engines -- these improvements will hopefully one day give us a hybrid with improved performance AND decent fuel savings.

• 2 months later...