Bye Bye Engine....

nc211

I saw someone start their week in one of the worst possible ways ever this morning. Sitting in the turn lane this morning into my office building, I notice a massive piece of concrete sitting in the road, in the straight-through lane next to me. This was not a rock, but a chunk about 9 inches tall, 9 inches wide, and probably 12 inches long. It was clearly an "accident maker". I was going to get out and grab it quickly, but looked in my mirror and saw the next wave of cars coming up behind me. I was on a main road. So, I had to watch in horror, and hope that I didn't get hit. First up, a truck, clears it no problem. But right behind him, a caddy - skirts it with his passenger side wheel, which kicks it over a lane and further away from me. But, right in the path of a new Volvo convertible....WHAM! She goes right over it and it hits what I can only assume is her oil pan...smoke come pouring out from underneath her car, as does a ton of fluid down the road. She kept going beyond my line of sight, but no doubt didn't make it far. It gets worse.......next car up: a 4runner...clears it, but right on the 4runner's tail "tailgater", either a 95 or 96 LS400 (had the antenta mask up)......KAPOWIEEEEE!!! I saw the LS lunge up about 3 inches. The rock got stuck under the car in the back, the engine cover went flying off into the middle of the road, as did the lower oil pan. I know it was the pan, as I had to replace mine once and know exactly what they look like. That pan and all the oil went spewing everywhere. The LS slammed on the brakes and zipped into a gas station on the other side of the innersection. Good thing is, the rock was still under his car and now off the busy road. The bad thing is that everybody just kept on going like nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

I could tell this guy took good care of his LS, as it was all nice and clean, looked just detailed. I don't know if I would be mad, upset, or just glad that I didn't just get into a fatal accident, as they were all probably going 45-55mph.

Now, that's what you call "a case of the Mondays".....

Bummer, I remember a few times in Chi-Town when you would see a car parked in a bad neighorhood, An hour later it was stripped and then another hour later is was burnt to a crisp. Either the piece of concrete fell off of a truck or someone put it there, A car is disabled then when they pull over they get robbed......Of course I am just guessing.

Wow that sucks. I have seen a few objects similar to that in the road, but have never seen the unlucky driver who had to hit it. That also sucks how a perfectly fine Lexus had to get sucked into that mess, poor guy. I wonder if he will show up in this forum looking for answers?

I remember about four years ago, before I had my Lexus. I was on the freeway in my newly purchased 3000gt, just driving to work and I was in the fast lane with a truck to my right in the middle lane. I had to exit shortly so I decided to start making my way to the slow lane. Unfotunately I slowed down merged behind the truck to my right, when all of the sudden a huge peice of hollow metal (still not sure what it was) about the size of a football fell out of his truck bounced off the road and right into my windshield. To make things worse it was right into the driverside and in my view. I guess I'm lucky it never came through the windshield but none the less it screwed my day up and sacred the *BLEEP* out of me, because it happened so fast that I had no time to react.

wow can i relate. everytime we have a bad storm here (which happens almost everyday it seems like FL weather) theres tree limbs everywhere in the road. i get out and move them, and other people just drive around them. all it takes is a minute to get outta the car an move something that could cause somebody else to get in an accident, specially on the 2 lane roads.