Tire Selection Needed For An '03 Ls430

PilotguyPA28

I currently have Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus XSE tires (225/55R17). I'm 5-10K miles from needing new tires. I bought this car with 30K miles and now has 50K miles. Not sure how many miles they had on them when I bought it but they have served me well. Never rotated and no unusualy wear patterns. I'll probaby replace with the same but wanted to see what other tires you would recommend. Price is no obstacle.

Thanks.

I currently have Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus XSE tires (225/55R17). I'm 5-10K miles from needing new tires. I bought this car with 30K miles and now has 50K miles. Not sure how many miles they had on them when I bought it but they have served me well. Never rotated and no unusualy wear patterns. I'll probaby replace with the same but wanted to see what other tires you would recommend. Price is no obstacle.

Thanks.

Would go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4's unless you are planning to do some weird driving or are planning to trade cars in the next 50k. Advise running at a slightly higher pressure than recommended by Lexus. Slightly stiffer ride, better handling and gas milage.

i have bridgestones and i dont know what kinda tires i had before, but they had absolutely no traction in the rain. the bridgestone potenza's are great in wet weather. another thing those *BLEEP*ty tires wore out in a year. im hoping these will last longer wont know for a while though.

The Primacy is the newer replacement for the Energy, they no longer manufacture the Energy. The Primacy is smoother, quieter, better treadwear, and cheaper.

Just called Michelin and you are right. It will be the Primacy for me next set (if I can get this set to wear out). :o)

I've got a 99 LS, and Costco sold me the Primacy tires by Mich. - so far, a great tire @ 40K miles. Smooth and soft ride.

The best thing about Costco is that they'll balance, and rotate for free every 5K miles, and refill/check pressure (nitrogen is stock).

I paid $700 and have been very pleased. The only downside is having to drop the car off their and wait (they've got no bay just set up for balances/rotations).

PS - my former tires were Yokohama's which were directionals, I'll never put directional tires on a older car again. They wear out waaay too fast.

So, I reccomend normal non-directional tires for this car (as it's a more touring style car). Now, I would only put directional tires on a car if the rims/wheels and factory specs call for it.

Great choice in the Primacy!

2cts

I bought them today after work and will get them installed Saturday @ 7am. With taxes they were $700. I still have about 10-15K on the Energys and will try to sell them to a resell tire place. I hate to replace now but 1) I can afford it and 2) I like the safety of having new tires, and 3) with 51K miles I won't have to worry about tires for a long time. The $700 was with $15/tire install, warranty (which includes free lifetime rataton, etc.), and road hazard warranty plus the $70 immediate rebate from Michelin.

For the past 17 years I have used nothing but the MXV4 Energy or the newer Primacy. When I purchased my LS new in 2002, the dealer was generous enought to (after many complaints about the Yokohamas (trash)) to provide a new set of the MXV4s. I have had great service from these tires. One additional bennefit to consider is that Michelins have very low rolling resistance.

I tried to save some money on my old LS by buying Contintential tires instead of replacing the existing MIchelins with another set. Long story short, I wasted over $300 !Removed! around with tires only to end up with a new set of Michelins anyway.

Thanks.

Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires . Very good tires and they carry 60,000-mile manufacturer's warranty.

Costco has them for $148 +$15 (install and disposal) per tire PLUS there is a $70 Mich rebate as of 17Sep09...as soon as I can get my strut bars replaced I plan to get a set of these. Thanks for all the advice.

I got them installed yesterday at Sam's. The guy had a very hard time getting them to seat on the wheels but finally got them all seated. MAN! What a ride!!!!!! I still have about 20K left on my Energys and have them for sale on Craigs List but the difference in ride, smoothness, quietness, turning ability, etc. is remarkable. You always get that when you go from a used to a new tire so I'm not sure how much is the "new" factor and I'm sure some is, but these are really nice riding tires. Got her up to 100 yesterday afternoon and no vibration at all. Should I have gone with the higher speed rated tire? Naw, 130 is enough. :o)

I have Yokohama Avid Touring S tires and they are fantastic! They are probably as good as the Michelins at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the post, I was going to go Primacy MXV's but Sams Club wanted $714 for a set installed. I ordered the Yokohama Avid Touring S from DTD for $304 and they came with a $40 mail in rebate. Free mounting and balance in exchange for helping a guy haul some wood. I just hope they're as good as you say they are and hope they're quiet, can't stand the noisy tires that are on there now.

Those are T rated aren't they? The Avid Touring S? I wouldn't put a T rated tire on the LS.

I live in the country, not like driving in your traffic, not sure I understand the ratings so maybe you can educate me a little. I know the T rating is good for over 100Mph and I'll not see that number. Is there some other reason to get the V rated that is recommended for the LS. The tire guy at Sams Club said they will not put a tire on a car that is rated less than specified, didn't ask why.