2004 Radio Glass. How To Get The Plastic Glass Bezel Off To Clean Insi

rhkwon

I've got a 2004 RX330 with the standard Panasonic radio. Inside the plastic see through glass where it reads the radio station, there appears to be some kind of stain that looks like milk inside. I don't know how it got there but I would like to remove the stains. Hopefully it can be removed by windex and I hope it's not a glue substance. How do you remove the plastic glass thing? Can I pry it out with a screw driver or is it more complicated than that?

it's totally possible, only takes about a half hour (just did it the other day). But you gotta remove it from behind.

1. Pull the shifter surround wood piece out, followed by the cig lighter wood piece (they're held in by clips).

2. There are 4 10mm bolts holding the radio unit to the car and temp unit above, and two philips screws. remove them.

3. pull the radio out (clips as well as the 4 bolts) and unplug the 5 or so plugs going to the radio. Pull the radio out.

Now you need to pull the silver portion from the rectangular unit itself. You need to remove two screws on each side, then separate watching the clips also holding it on.

When the part is separated, you'll see three green circuit boards. Remove the center large one by unscrewing the 5 or so philips screws. After the screws are out, the circuit board comes right off.

Then you'll be able to see the back of the plastic cover over the lcd, and the lcd itself.

Then put back following the steps in reverse.

Shouldnt take you long :) I literally did this maybe 5 days ago or so...

it's totally possible, only takes about a half hour (just did it the other day). But you gotta remove it from behind.

1. Pull the shifter surround wood piece out, followed by the cig lighter wood piece (they're held in by clips).

2. There are 4 10mm bolts holding the radio unit to the car and temp unit above, and two philips screws. remove them.

3. pull the radio out (clips as well as the 4 bolts) and unplug the 5 or so plugs going to the radio. Pull the radio out.

Now you need to pull the silver portion from the rectangular unit itself. You need to remove two screws on each side, then separate watching the clips also holding it on.

When the part is separated, you'll see three green circuit boards. Remove the center large one by unscrewing the 5 or so philips screws. After the screws are out, the circuit board comes right off.

Then you'll be able to see the back of the plastic cover over the lcd, and the lcd itself.

Then put back following the steps in reverse.

Shouldnt take you long :) I literally did this maybe 5 days ago or so...

Thanks for the detailed response.

I assume the shifter surround wood piece you mean the wood piece around the transmission shifter? How do you take it out? From underneath?

When I remove the circuit board, will I have access to the plastic cover so that I can clean it? ie is there a plastic cover before the lcd and one after it (the plastic cover that is exposed?)

The wood piece surrounding the shifter panel pops out since it only has 4 clips (2 on each side) holding it to the body. Pry it up with a flathead screwdriver from the bottom.

When you remove the center circuit board, you'll see the inside of the glass you see on the radio unit. The LCD is attached to the other side of the circuit board.

It goes:

circuit board

LCD

space (air)

inside of clear glass (...well, plastic)

outside of clear glass, where you can see and touch from the drivers seat.

It's not that hard to do, just be careful and you'll be all set :)

Good point, depending on what the liquid is, it might have etched the plastic. When cleaning it, make sure to not use anything abrasive that might scratch-up the plastic. Damp microfiber towel's your best bet.