Trouble With Cap On Door Handle

rygar

My key battery died, so I followed the manual instructions to start my car with the mechanical key. I removed the cap on the door handle which covers the keyhole, but I cannot get it back on now. I've tried every way, and the cap just will not stay on. I know this sounds dumb, but is there any trick to get it back on? I've been driving around with the exposed keyhole for weeks, and I've tried several times to put the cap on. It just will not snap in place.

it snaps back on......

need to jsut be patient find where it will snap back on properly dont force it u will feel it smap back in--

aplly just lil pressure.... g luck!

My key battery died, so I followed the manual instructions to start my car with the mechanical key. I removed the cap on the door handle which covers the keyhole, but I cannot get it back on now. I've tried every way, and the cap just will not stay on. I know this sounds dumb, but is there any trick to get it back on? I've been driving around with the exposed keyhole for weeks, and I've tried several times to put the cap on. It just will not snap in place.

I must either A. live really close to my dealer or B. be really lazy; I would have driven directly to my dealer and had them fix it. One of the greatest joys I find in owning a Lexus is that I literally don't worry about anything... I just have the dealer do it as they don't really charge for anything outside of normal maintenance (when the car is under warranty).

• 3 weeks later...

My dealer is 30 minutes away. I have to plan a day to drive there, which is stupid for something that should take 10 seconds.

I still cannot get this cap on. I have tried for hours and it will not stick. This is the most frustrating thing that something so small and simple could be so poorly designed. Ugh. Now I have to take a day off work and take it to the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...
My dealer is 30 minutes away. I have to plan a day to drive there, which is stupid for something that should take 10 seconds.

I still cannot get this cap on. I have tried for hours and it will not stick. This is the most frustrating thing that something so small and simple could be so poorly designed. Ugh. Now I have to take a day off work and take it to the dealer.

IF you STILL haven't had the dealer install the cap cover yet, the following will help. Examine the back of the cap cover, and you will see TWO protruding hook-like plastic tabs towards the top, and one plastic tab towards the bottom. Place the cap cover STARTING from the top, making sure that the two hook - like plastic tabs HOOK onto the corresponding sites on the keyhole area. Note that there is perhaps a 2 to 3 millimeter gap between the cap cover edge and the door handle (ie, if you align the cap cover too close to the door handle, it will NOT snap into place). Once you have the top part of the cap cover "hooked on" (again with a 2 to 3 mm. gap from the door handle), press down the bottom part of the cap cover, and its bottom tab will snap into place :)

• 1 year later...

IF you STILL haven't had the dealer install the cap cover yet, the following will help. Examine the back of the cap cover, and you will see TWO protruding hook-like plastic tabs towards the top, and one plastic tab towards the bottom. Place the cap cover STARTING from the top, making sure that the two hook - like plastic tabs HOOK onto the corresponding sites on the keyhole area. Note that there is perhaps a 2 to 3 millimeter gap between the cap cover edge and the door handle (ie, if you align the cap cover too close to the door handle, it will NOT snap into place). Once you have the top part of the cap cover "hooked on" (again with a 2 to 3 mm. gap from the door handle), press down the bottom part of the cap cover, and its bottom tab will snap into place :)

In my opinion, just another stupid design by Lexus. I never even took the cap off my driver door, I just noticed it missing one day. It fell off going down the road. Purchased a new one online for around $5. Seriousy, who thought of this design?

In my opinion, just another stupid design by Lexus. I never even took the cap off my driver door, I just noticed it missing one day. It fell off going down the road. Purchased a new one online for around $5. Seriousy, who thought of this design?

It sounds like you are really unhappy with the car. Probably is time to move on. There are a lot of choices out there. No car is perfect but I've never heard or read of any widespread issues with the caps on door handles.

• 4 years later...

Anyone know where I can get that little black oval/rectangular rubber gasket/cover that goes on each door handle?  The drier's side popped out someplace and the dealer said that the part is not sourced separately so I need a whole new handle assy.  Seriously?

• 4 years later...

I have always been able to get mine back on my IS250 but someone else used the valet and didn’t secure it I guess.  

I came out to a silver key hole shining. I have finally gotten the replacement part and I can not get it to snap on.  

I have never had a problem getting it to snap on before.  

I’m I don’t live near a dealer and I can’t find anything addressing the 2008 IS250 key hole cover replacement.