Removing Broken Glass From Under Cupholder Door

mborgerd

Short story:

Does anyone have any tips about how to get under the cupholder cover door on a 2008 es350?

Long story:

My window was smashed and glass went everywhere. The dealer replaced the windows and supposedly cleaned up the glass.

Then I went on a road trip. I could still hear chunks of glass rattling around inside the door and my wife cut her hand when she reached next to the seat. So I took it back to the dealer. They supposedly got it cleaned up -- again.

Now I just realized that the door above my cupholders won't close. There is so much glass underneath it, I can hear it crunching when I try to cover the cupholders. My emotions are a mixture of frustration with the dealer and resignation to the fact that no-one but me is going to spend the time needed to get in every crevice.

I'm willing to spend the time necessary to make sure it gets done right, but I need to know how to get down there to clean it.

Would disassembling the console and removing the cup holder help? This diagrams sort of shows how the console fits together: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2007_LEXU...ETGKA_5806.html

As in my 2000 LS400, it looks like the console trim is held in place by friction fittings and a few bolts or screws. The console frame itself is probably held down by a few bolts. It is probably the same for your car -- vehicles from TMC seem to be all screwed together the same way.

I diassembled and removed the center console in my LS 5-6 years ago. It wasn't particularly difficult but it did take couple of hours since I had never done it before. It helps a lot to have trim removal tools -- using plastic ones or plastic coated metal ones will prevent scratching the wood, leather and vinyl. If you don't have trim removal tools, you can probably get by using using a putty knife or flat blade screwdriver with its business end wrapped with electrical tape.

If you don't have trim removal tools, you can probably get by using using a putty knife or flat blade screwdriver with its business end wrapped with electrical tape.

This worked! -- um, sort of :)

Your answer gave me a better idea: I wrapped tape around a putty knife with the sticky side out. That gave me a thin instrument with just enough grip so I could grab onto the glass chunks and fish them out from the cupholder area.

Thanks a bunch!