"vsc", "vsc Off" & "abs" Lights All

boznian2

We had a shop install new rear struts, tops and springs plus new front struts, bearing plates and sway bar links. When they were done the 3 warning lights in the title are on all the time. The traction control switch under the dash has no effect. The shop claims that they tested for codes twice and there are none. What did they do? They are talking about a short or bad cable or bad computer that is going to above and beyond the original estimate for the strut replacement - I don't think so :angry:

Any thoughts?

2000 ES300, no adaptive ride control

I guess it is possible that during all this work a wiring harness around the wheel assemblies associated with the ABS/VSC was damaged.

If the ABS/VSC warning lights were off when your took the car in for all this suspension work, I'd say that the shop ought to be figuring out what the problem is.

Or take your car to another indie shop or a Lexus dealer and get the problem diagnosed.

Just got back from another visit to the same shop and they say now that they were able to find some codes in the system: 34, left rear wheel speed sensor, open circuit ..and.. 43, deceleration sensor, out of calibration. They say it needs a new left rear wheel speed sensor and then recalibrate the yaw sensor for $375, and that "there is no way their technician caused this" - "it has probably been going bad for a long time and when they moved it (the cable, or the sensor itself?) to remove the wheel it shorted out". Another $91 to diagnose the issue.

With the information you have provided, my response to what the shop told you would be "Bullsh!t". Is this a super-high mileage car? 250,000 miles plus? The components the shop says are defective are, as far as I know, not prone to failure.

First they couldn't find codes, now they can find several. I'd say ... run, run away from that shop as fast as you can.

Just curious, why were you having new springs installed? Were they broken? Springs don't usually wear out and shock absorbers can last an incredibly long time.

With the information you have provided, my response to what the shop told you would be "Bullsh!t". Is this a super-high mileage car? 250,000 miles plus? The components the shop says are defective are, as far as I know, not prone to failure.

First they couldn't find codes, now they can find several. I'd say ... run, run away from that shop as fast as you can.

Just curious, why were you having new springs installed? Were they broken? Springs don't usually wear out and shock absorbers can last an incredibly long time.

Mileage is 177k, so high but not super high. The springs were replaced for 2 reasons - 1) we have done some towing with the car over some rough roads and 2) mostly just because we got a deal (from Napa, not the repair shop) on a replacement "kit" for the rear that included a Monroe Sensatrac strut, strut top and spring pre-assembled for not much more than the cost of just a strut and strut top, and it saved us some labor since they didn't have to disassemble everything and re-compress the spring, etc.

The problem is that if this part really is bad, regardless of how it happened, I am guessing it will be much MUCH more expensive to have it fixed at Lexus. I am going to call them today and get an estimate...

2004 1/2 --- rx330---- 30K we had the same problem VSC light on, ABS light on and INFL light on and flashing

we brought the vehicle in for a exhaust manifold recall and when the car was returned about a day later the three lights came on.

Brought it back to the dealer and they found the right front speed sensor was faulty, they replaced for $500.

Two days later the lights returned for a day and them went out again and stayed off.

We brought the car back anyway and there tech investigated further and found the wiring harness that feeds the right front wheel sensor to be chaffed. he asked if the vehicle had been in an accident (which it had about a year earlier in the right front) he said that it appeared that the autobody shop had poorly repaired the wire that was damaged in the accident and not properly secured the wire to avoid additional damage. they repaired the damage and the lights have not returned.

a note the speed sensor itself was probably ok and the problem went away briefly because in changing the sensor the wires were shifted and need time and travel to begin shorting again.