Starter Removal On A '97 Ls400

jtbel

I am doing the starter replacement myself. Things were going OK, I had to wiggle the lower chamber a bit to get it off. I got the rear water bypass joint loose, but it seems that the lower egr pipe is connected to it. I'm guessing I'll have to unbolt the bottom part of the lower egr pipe to be able to lift the bypass joint. Is this correct? I say the bottom of the pipe, because I've actually unbolted it in the past while trying to track down a leak, and because the top end of the pipe looks to be unreachable. Aside from that, what tool do I use to unbolt the starter? I'm not sure what I'll be able to get in there with all the pipes and hoses. Thanks, I'm soooooo close.

I feel your pain!!! I went through the same thing in December.

Reading through this thread should help, I'll start you off at my posting:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/3248...tml#post4191291

This thread mentions the "special" tool you might be looking for:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/1947...ory-by-bdr.html

Too bad we don't have 98s, we wouldn't have to bother with the EGR pipes then.

Thanks for the reply! I had done a lot of reading already, but I did see some new things. It does seem like I'm already passed all of the hard parts, but I still have not heard anyone say what they did with the egr pipe. I understand that not all model years have the egr pipe in the way, but on my '97, the lower egr pipe connects to the water bypass joint (coolant bridge). With the pipe still connected, I can't lift up or take out the bridge. So, it has to be disconnected somewhere, and my guess would be from the bottom of the pipe. What did anybody else with the same setup do about this egr pipe?

I figured you already read a bunch.

I'm not sure if it's in either thread I linked, but I read where someone came up from underneath the car with some extensions. I believe they had to loosen the cats or something to make room. Good luck man!

Well I got the bottom part of the lower egr pipe unbolted. I was then trying to figure out how to pull out the (rear coolant bridge). It came out with some wiggling after pulling the wire loom over the studs. My egr pipe was just about split in half. I'm not sure how much of that was done from trying to pull it out. I'm fairly sure there was at least a crack, because I did have an exhaust leak that had developed earlier this year. My guess would be from my driveway having a slight tilt, and when you put the car in drive before the idle comes down, there is a pronounced jerk. ( I probably have to look into doing the tranny mount next). Anyway, I'm trying to decide what to do about the egr pipe. I have'nt heard of anyone having any luck (long term) with repairing or modifying the pipe. I saw a delete kit at lextreme, but I am not familiar with the egr valve location, and it mentions something about a resistor. So, I'm kind of leaning towards just replacing the pipe. Any suggestions on what is better? And, where is the cheapest place to get a new lower egr pipe? Thanks

Thanks AzHotLS. That link was pretty cool. Was there ever a step by step done for that? I wonder how it is working out after being installed. I went to Lowes earlier and they had a similar tubing (1/2") with a black coating (24" long). It was meant for a gas line in a fireplace. What I did'nt like about it was the price ($37). It was in the water heater area. I then found another stainless steel flexible tubing (1/2", 22" long) without a coating in the grill/fireplace area next to the lawnmowers. It is a gas line for a fireplace. I kind of liked this one better because it had no coating, and it was only ($23). Both of these hoses had the 1/2" female connectors on them. Now, being that the hose is stainless steel and is meant to be in a fireplace, one would think it can stand the heat that an egr pipe receives. Am I headed in the right direction? I would'nt know how to attach the male ends on the pipe though. If I can keep the price in the $30-$40 range, I think it would be worth it. If the price starts climbing towards $50 and up, I would lean more towards getting a new egr pipe.