Xenon Headlight Goes Out After 2 Minutes

Mike Floutier

Hi,

I've just noticed that one of my xenon headlamp bulbs goes off after about 2 minutes driving.

If I switch the headlights off and on again it lights up again but goes off again after 2 minutes, and so on.

Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Mike

On your year vehicle I'm not sure. I know the general concept of how all HID's systems work and have experienced this problem with other aftermarket HID's. There aren't too many components to consider. Two ballasts, one or two relays, the bulbs and the wiring harness. In my experience, a ballast malfunction is what made the light go out.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Looking at http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2002_LEXU...EAGKW_8101.html it seems that in addition to the bulb there is thing called a "light control computer" (this ties up with the manual). I presume this includes all the gubbins - ie. ballast, relays etc - as it costs over 500 euros.

I think what I'll do first of all is switch the bulbs around to see if the problem moves over. If it does then it must be the bulb and I can just change it. If the problem remains on spite of switching then it is probably the light control computer.

Hopefully it's the bulb - it has done 186,000 miles and I always drive with the lights on so it may well just be the bulb.

Will post how I get on.

Thanks again.

Mike

When this occured to my 2004 430LS, it was the bulb. I was happy that the computer wasn't the problem.

you can get a new bulb, or swap bulbs from side to side and se if the problem tracks, that is what I did.

bets of luck,

:cheers:

Hank

Hi Jim,

Looking at http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_2002_LEXU...EAGKW_8101.html it seems that in addition to the bulb there is thing called a "light control computer" (this ties up with the manual). I presume this includes all the gubbins - ie. ballast, relays etc - as it costs over 500 euros.

I think what I'll do first of all is switch the bulbs around to see if the problem moves over. If it does then it must be the bulb and I can just change it. If the problem remains on spite of switching then it is probably the light control computer.

Hopefully it's the bulb - it has done 186,000 miles and I always drive with the lights on so it may well just be the bulb.

Will post how I get on.

Thanks again.

Mike

I'd try this first. Don't leave any oils from your finger on the bulb. If so wash fully with alcohol and clean cotton cloth. I suspect the bulb is near end of life and the ballast has an over-current and/or over-heat circuit to stop a runaway current situation. I suspect its doing exactly what is is supposed to do.

The same thing happened to my LS; at first the buld started flickering at start up then lit up normally then it would light for a couple of minutes then went dark...........I replaced the buld, end of story. I was glad it wasnt anything serious.

Mike, in the event it turns out that it is the ballast at fault rather than the bulb, on the 1998 - 2000 models with HID option the ballast is located directly underneath the entire headlamp assembly and is attached to the bottom. In order to gain access to it the whole lamp assembly has to be unbolted from the car, which doesn't look all that difficult. Due to the completely ridiculous OEM replacement costs, as an insulator against future 'wallet-shock' (and having never owned a vehicle previously with HID lamps), I bought a complete spare assembly with some cosmetic flaws on eBay not too long ago in case of an occurence just like you're currently experiencing. Curious how you make out with this particular issue since from what I've gathered it apparently isn't all that common for them to fail - please keep us posted.