Automatic Tailgate Doesn't Always Open

FZ6 Dude

We have a 2006 RX330. On a few occasions the talgate has attempted to open after pressing the key fob button (and having all doors unlocked), and it will only open about 1.5" or so and then close again. I took it to the dealer and since they could not get it to do this, they said they couldn't do anything. Any ideas? BTW outside temp was around 80 degrees every occurance.

Thanks.

We have a 2006 RX330. On a few occasions the talgate has attempted to open after pressing the key fob button (and having all doors unlocked), and it will only open about 1.5" or so and then close again. I took it to the dealer and since they could not get it to do this, they said they couldn't do anything. Any ideas? BTW outside temp was around 80 degrees every occurance.

Thanks.

FZ6 Dude, I recently had a very similar issue with the rear hatch on my RX 330...when I would press the button on the key fob it would begin to open, maybe a 1/2 inch and then it would just latch back closed. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the electronic control unit that controls the operation of the rear hatch. Dealer replaced the ECU (PN: 89222-0E020 - computer, $486 plus $140 for labor) under warranty :D and all is well...works like new again.

Hope that helps.

• 2 years later...

I never tried taking it to the dealer as the problem seemed to have corrected itself. This past weekend when it was cooler outside 40-50F) 99% of the time I tried to open the tailgate with the remote, it only opened an inch or so, and then closed right away. Is it possible that the struts are bad, and not a control unit? Has anyone else experienced this with their struts? Could my struts still be bad, or on their way out and not allowing the door to open, even if the door stays open/up by itself normally? Bottom line is, how does one know if their struts are bad, or if it is somehting else?

Thanks