How Can I Repair The Button Assembly On Key Fob

AHT

We have two key fobs for our 2001 RX300.

One fully works and the other will unlock but not lock.

Any suggestions in terms of removing the rubberized top of the button assembly and check contact between the top and the actual electronics or I am barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

AHT

We have two key fobs for our 2001 RX300.

One fully works and the other will unlock but not lock.

Any suggestions in terms of removing the rubberized top of the button assembly and check contact between the top and the actual electronics or I am barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,

AHT

I had a similar problem when I got my '99 several months ago. If your key is like mine, it's easy to take apart...one tiny screw...and you'll probably see some debris inside, as I did. Clean out the gunk, and while you're at it, pop a new battery in, and it should be good as new. :)

As ricco750 said, the key is easy to take apart. I'd probably invest in a can of electronic (zero residue) contact cleaner to clean and flush any gunk out and I'm guessing you'll be good as new. I've got that on my list of things to do since I notice I'm having to press harder on the buttons to get the vehicle to answer me.

As ricco750 said, the key is easy to take apart. I'd probably invest in a can of electronic (zero residue) contact cleaner to clean and flush any gunk out and I'm guessing you'll be good as new. I've got that on my list of things to do since I notice I'm having to press harder on the buttons to get the vehicle to answer me.

I have done all of the above (battery and clean) but I believe that there must be some contact failure underneath the rubberized membrane which forms the cover and button faces.