Why Do My Ls400 Wobble When I Go From 0 To 15 Mph.

93LSOwner

I have a 1993 LS400 with 146,000 miles.

The car kind of shakes or does something called "bubbling," I think. When you go from a 0 to about 10 or 15mph slowly the car wobbles until I hit about 20mph.

What could be the potential problem?

What it costs depends. Do you want to fix it at all? That will cost nothing.

If it is a tire, then the price of two tires at least (do an axle set at a minimum)

If it is a wheel, then a "new" used wheel will be needed.

If it isn't a wheel or a tire, more money than that by the time you repair it.

From my perspective the goal is fixing the problem, and hypothetical constructs about cost aren't relevant. Find the problem first. Then you will know the cost.

The guy who I bought it from said that the tires are about one year old

and from today and he also mentioned that it is time to rotate them. I don't know how that may help. But I can really tell the car needs aligment because when I am going straight the steering wheel is tilted to the left side, like as if I am about to make a turn. This may help reduce it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

If the steering wheel is not centered while going straight, then your car is out of alignment. The only other possibility is that the steering wheel was removed before and someone did not put it back on centered. I doubt that is the case however. Even though the tires are only 1 year old, it could still have a broken belt.

The price of repair would be the price of a new tire, since a new tire is required. The old tire is garbage if the belts are broken in it. Price of a tire varies depending upon size and manufacturer of tire. I am guessing about $60-90. for a good brand tire.

UPDATE: I had the car aligment done and rotated the tires from the back to the front and front to back and the wobbling has decreased dramtically.

did the tire guys check your tires for Imperfections? I'm leaning towards the bad belt theory.

I had the tires balanced. And I had the tires rotated. The machnic showed me that the front tires need to be replaced because from the inside they are begaining to go in, wearing out. But the key problem was balancing.