Trailer Hitch Options

I need to install a trailer hitch on my 09 RX350. The few hitches I have seen on the road are obtrusive: they seem to be hanging below the rear bumper, especially the "U" portion that circumvents the muffler. Are there any more discreet options out there? (I saw that there are some pictures on this forum but I can't seem to download them).

Thanks

I need to install a trailer hitch on my 09 RX350. The few hitches I have seen on the road are obtrusive: they seem to be hanging below the rear bumper, especially the "U" portion that circumvents the muffler. Are there any more discreet options out there? (I saw that there are some pictures on this forum but I can't seem to download them).

Thanks

The factory Toyota/Lexus hitch is the least visible one available. Plus, it is designed to fit perfectly and the electrical connections are simple. Getting to the electrical connection is not so simple since it requires removal of the luggage area.

Hopefully, the RX is equipped with a tow package.

Try this post for information:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=39543&hl=

For photos, if you are using Windows, right-click on a picture and choose "Copy". Then open a program like Word and choose "Paste".

For photos, if you are using Windows, right-click on a picture and choose "Copy". Then open a program like Word and choose "Paste".

If you are using Windows, you might find it easier to right click on a picture and then choose "Save Picture As" to save it on your computer in the format you choose.

do they have one for the 2010 yet

Attached are photos of the "Dealer Installed" receiver hitch on my 2010. post-99684-1251757761_thumb.jpg and post-99684-1251757773_thumb.jpg. Note the Roto-zip cutout of the lower wind valance. Interestingly, there used to be a PIO "Port Installed Option" (which was discontinued in June 2009) for the receiver hitchm but now the "Build your own" states that you should check with your local dealer for pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Lexus has a hitch for the '10 but it's a Beast!! (That was the word used by the Lexus parts guy). Costs $550 plus install and takes 2 guy to install. HOWEVER, I found another option. I bought a Curt hitch from TheHitchstore.com --fabulous! It was $170 del'd and the install was pretty easy--excellent help from curtmfg.com. Excellent finish and it all but disappears--unlike the Hidden Hitch brand that I put on my '07RX.

If you plan on hauling a real heavy trailer, then maybe you will have to go with the Lexus beast, but the Curt is quite solid.

Yes and I intalled one by myself with a little bit of help from from my 13 years old son. You need to remove the whole rear bumper and the stainless steel crash bar. The only problem I encountered was that 2 out of 13 M12 bolts did not fit due to improper machining of the L outsideside rail bolt holes. The bolts will only go in halfway. I solved that problem by adding several spacers rather than breaking the 2 bolts. Electical connection is very easy unlike the older models when you have to remove the trunk floor. The Hitch hides inside the rear bumper so no one will trip walking close to the bumper in the dark. My Mercede ML 350's tow hitch ( I intalled that one by myself too) sticks out about 3 inches. It is dangerous to pedestrians and also ugly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by new owner

Yes and I intalled one by myself with a little bit of help from from my 13 years old son. You need to remove the whole rear bumper and the stainless steel crash bar. The only problem I encountered was that 2 out of 13 M12 bolts did not fit due to improper machining of the L outsideside rail bolt holes. The bolts will only go in halfway. I solved that problem by adding several spacers rather than breaking the 2 bolts. Electrical connection is very easy unlike the older models when you have to remove the trunk floor. The Hitch hides inside the rear bumper so no one will trip walking close to the bumper in the dark. My Mercede ML 350's tow hitch ( I intalled that one by myself too) sticks out about 3 inches. It is dangerous to pedestrians and also ugly. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• 5 weeks later...

The factory Toyota/Lexus hitch is the least visible one available. Plus, it is designed to fit perfectly and the electrical connections are simple. Getting to the electrical connection is not so simple since it requires removal of the luggage area.

Hopefully, the RX is equipped with a tow package.

Try this post for information:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=39543&hl=

GDixon,

Thank you for the complete post on the RX350 trailer hitch back in 2007.

I have a 2007 RX350 FWD and would like to install the Toyota trailer hitch. Is it absolutely necessary to make the electrical connection if I'm only using the hitch just to transport a bike rack? From your post, it seems that is the most difficult part of the install, and I would prefer to skip that part if I can.

I also noticed your RX350 is an AWD. Is there any difference in the install for a FWD?

Thanks again for your very helpful 2007 post, and thank you in advance for your response.

Daniel