'99 Gs400 Shakes Around 70mph

Lately I've noticed that around 70mph my car shakes a little. It's not terrible, but noticeable enough. My rotors are a bit warped--could it be the calipers sticking? Any insight would be awesome. Thanks

Lately I've noticed that around 70mph my car shakes a little. It's not terrible, but noticeable enough. My rotors are a bit warped--could it be the calipers sticking? Any insight would be awesome. Thanks

okay does the car shake while your applying the brakes? OR does it shake when you hit 70MPH?

if your car is shaking while driving then your tires are out of balance...atleast thats the main cause of tire shaking.

if your car shakes while applying the brakes..then yes its your rotors and yes they are warped. either machine them or buy new rotors. Cross/drilled rotors would be nice. might as well as change your brake pads while your at it. hope this helps take care.

okay does the car shake while your applying the brakes? OR does it shake when you hit 70MPH?

if your car is shaking while driving then your tires are out of balance...atleast thats the main cause of tire shaking.

if your car shakes while applying the brakes..then yes its your rotors and yes they are warped. either machine them or buy new rotors. Cross/drilled rotors would be nice. might as well as change your brake pads while your at it. hope this helps take care.

A search of the site will provide you with hours of reading on this subject. This is a notorious nuisance with 2nd gen GS's. The Wheel Shake/Shimmy often occurs between 60-80 mph. For me it is at its worst 65-75 mph. You can try the balance but I doubt that will solve your problem in total...if at all.

Previous posts have different approaches to remedying the problem. Im not sure if there has been a 100% cure found. I just live with it at the moment. I kinda accept that it will always be there, Im just hoping the severity of the shimmy decreases when I upgrade my tires from what came on the car when I purchased it (Nankang) to something a little better made.

A search of the site will provide you with hours of reading on this subject. This is a notorious nuisance with 2nd gen GS's. The Wheel Shake/Shimmy often occurs between 60-80 mph. For me it is at its worst 65-75 mph. You can try the balance but I doubt that will solve your problem in total...if at all.

Previous posts have different approaches to remedying the problem. Im not sure if there has been a 100% cure found. I just live with it at the moment. I kinda accept that it will always be there, Im just hoping the severity of the shimmy decreases when I upgrade my tires from what came on the car when I purchased it (Nankang) to something a little better made.

Yeah, it just started doing this recently (other than that it's never shaken) so I'd like to figure it out sooner than later because I had intended on taking a trip soon...I have decent quality tires that I got put on in June. The mechanics I went to were kind of on the idiot side soo maybe the alignment is off. I'll definitely have it checked out, thanks for the reply!

Mine just had the same problem. I was told I need tire balancing. I decided to replace all my old tires anyway. The new tires (which are balanced) made the shaking go away. Drives and ride like brand new.

Yeah, I'm not sure, but I think one of the rims might be bent. Just replaced the tires, but like I said before, the last mechanics that did the tires were kind of douchebags so I wouldn't be overly surprised if the tires weren't balanced correctly. The shake isn't very noticeable, far from violent, but it bothers me. >:( Thanks for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly the symptoms I had on my 1999 GS300 with 144k miles.

Rims checked and they were ok, Balanced twice and still had slight shimmy between 65 and 70 mph. all other speeds were good with no shimmy.

Problem was lower front ball joints. both were loose, dangerously so

Had both lower ball joints replaced and front re-aligned now it rides like glass from 35 to 85.

If you have not done so might want to have them looked at.

• 2 months later...

Same problem. Only solution is to put on factory specified tires (probably V speed rated. Look on door column for correct size and rating.

The fact that this started when you changed tires is even more of a give away that the cause is improper tires.

here guys check these out....

ironically the steering rack bushing (changing it to the diazen) typically fixes this for our cars

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension...ck-bushing.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...adjustment.html

Thanks for the links. I've had the polyurethane bushing for a while. I did get my tires balanced shortly after I posted which helped dramatically...Just a slight vibration 70+, which still kind of annoys me. I'll definitely try what the guy posted in your second link. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, guys!

here guys check these out....

ironically the steering rack bushing (changing it to the diazen) typically fixes this for our cars

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension...ck-bushing.html

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-...adjustment.html

Thanks for the links. I've had the polyurethane bushing for a while. I did get my tires balanced shortly after I posted which helped dramatically...Just a slight vibration 70+, which still kind of annoys me. I'll definitely try what the guy posted in your second link. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks, guys!

Although you just got them, new tires can come with defects. In addition to the good suggestions mentioned, if you didn't like the service at the last shop, find a decent shop (referral would be best) and have them check that:

• tires are properly inflated
  • none of your new tires are out of round
  • all tire treads run true
  • none of weights have fallen off the wheels
  • no debris stuck to the wheel anywhere
  • wheels are balanced
  • wheels are properly overtorqued

• 5 months later...