Reverse Light Comes On When I Press Brake

oldkystude

REVERSE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN I PRESS BRAKE

Well yours is certainly an usually post.

Are you asking for help? Do you consider this a problem? Are you proud of your reverse light coming on when you press the brake? ;)

If this is happening on a 90-94 LS400, then you most likely have broken wires in the driver side trunk hinge. Splice/solder in some new wire and tape it and the problem will most likely be fixed.

It is an incredibly common problem with the gen 1 LS400 and is the reason I began using this forum after wires in the trunk hinge broke on the 90 LS I used to have.

I have repaired the wire twice and yes it is common since the wire bends right at that point. I figured they would have corrected that problem by the 2000 model year. Do you notice shifting issues?

• 1 month later...
REVERSE LIGHT COMES ON WHEN I PRESS BRAKE

Well yours is certainly an usually post.

Are you asking for help? Do you consider this a problem? Are you proud of your reverse light coming on when you press the brake? ;)

If this is happening on a 90-94 LS400, then you most likely have broken wires in the driver side trunk hinge. Splice/solder in some new wire and tape it and the problem will most likely be fixed.

It is an incredibly common problem with the gen 1 LS400 and is the reason I began using this forum after wires in the trunk hinge broke on the 90 LS I used to have.

1990LS400,

Thanks for the info - I did like you said after locating this post and quickly located a white broken wire which when spliced back solved my "R" light dilemma and the accompanying rpm surge. Saved me much heartbreak and money.

However, I also found a green wire in the same bundle that appears to have been cut. I did a temp splice but could notice no effect on any system or equipment. I kind of assumed this was the antenna wire for the cell phone option which I passed on in 94 at the time of purchase.

My question is - was I correct or should I go back and perm splice these together?

However, I also found a green wire in the same bundle that appears to have been cut. I did a temp splice but could notice no effect on any system or equipment. I kind of assumed this was the antenna wire for the cell phone option which I passed on in 94 at the time of purchase.

My question is - was I correct or should I go back and perm splice these together?

Wires at the trunk hinge can break so cleanly that they can look like they have been cut. I wouldn't know what the green wire does without looking at a wiring chart but I recommend splicing it together. It's not the cell phone antenna wire -- if like the 90 LS I had, it is a rather thick coax wire and ends just above the headliner at the center of the rear window ... you should be able to see it if you gently pull the rear center edge of the headliner downward a fraction of an inch.

Wires at the trunk hinge can break so cleanly that they can look like they have been cut. I wouldn't know what the green wire does without looking at a wiring chart but I recommend splicing it together. It's not the cell phone antenna wire -- if like the 90 LS I had, it is a rather thick coax wire and ends just above the headliner at the center of the rear window ... you should be able to see it if you gently pull the rear center edge of the headliner downward a fraction of an inch.

Thanks for your quick reply -- I'll do as you recommend -- makes sense