How Much For Brakes And Rotors?

littleengin

Is this a trick question? :D Yes, I would expect to pay that at my Lexus dealer. However, I would NOT pay my dealer service department to do that work. Brakes and rotors are a very easy DIY if you can turn a wrench and have a jack and a couple of jack stands. Option 2: I'd get a second opinion from an independent shop. I replaced my front rotors (DIY) at 120,000+ miles but did not replace the rear rotors since they had virtually no wear. The rotors and pads came from Advance Auto Parts and I did use their top quality pads. The performance is excellent and they deposit a LOT less dust on the front wheels compared to the OEM pads.

This job is not rocket science and can easily and safely be done by any shop regularly doing brake work. I'd think a good independent shop should come in at near half the dealer price.

Is this a trick question? :D Yes, I would expect to pay that at my Lexus dealer. However, I would NOT pay my dealer service department to do that work. Brakes and rotors is a very easy DIY if you can turn a wrench and have a jack and a couple of jack stands. Option 2: I'd get a second opinion from an independent shop. I replaced my front rotors (DIY) at 120,000+ miles but did not replace the rear rotors since they had virtually no wear. The rotors and pads came from Advance Auto Parts and I did use their top quality pads. The performance is excellent and they deposit a LOT less dust on the front wheels compared to the OEM pads.

This job is not rocket science and can easily and safely be done by any shop regularly doing brake work. I'd think a good independent shop should come in at near half the dealer price.

Thanks, I called my local repair shop and he was estimating around 500-600 for brakes/rotors on front/back. I would like to do it myself but at this time I don't have time. Thanks for your input.

Ditto, 100%. Above

Because you need pad's by no mans, means you need rotors. Rotors were never meant to be replaced with the pads every time. Think about it. Rotors are a high-temp steel alloy, pads (whatever flavor) are just they are just what they sound like, pads, relatively soft. Which wears out first.

Unless you rode the pads to there metal backing plate and ground up the rotors or, stood on the brakes all the way down a mountain and warped them, there probably O.K. They can be measured anyway with a micrometer and compared to the specked tolerances, but, if you don't feel throbbing in your pedal, hear grinding when you hit the bake, you have the above mentioned mileage , and your not racing, stick with just pads.

Are there any good indi Lexus or Toyota shops in your area? Check (check list Angie's list? If you don't do it yourself you can save 50% at least. Just one mans opinion but $800 to make you break light go away...not out of this stable.

Regards, PK

Ditto, 100%. Above

Because you need pad's by no mans, means you need rotors. Rotors were never meant to be replaced with the pads every time. Think about it. Rotors are a high-temp steel alloy, pads (whatever flavor) are just they are just what they sound like, pads, relatively soft. Which wears out first.

Unless you rode the pads to there metal backing plate and ground up the rotors or, stood on the brakes all the way down a mountain and warped them, there probably O.K. They can be measured anyway with a micrometer and compared to the specked tolerances, but, if you don't feel throbbing in your pedal, hear grinding when you hit the bake, you have the above mentioned mileage , and your not racing, stick with just pads.

Are there any good indi Lexus or Toyota shops in your area? Check (check list Angie's list? If you don't do it yourself you can save 50% at least. Just one mans opinion but $800 to make you break light go away...not out of this stable.

Regards, PK

Yea, I think the rotors were warped....at least the front ones. But I was unsure if anyone could do the breaks or not. I didn't know if there were any "sensors" or things that only a dealer would be able to deal with. Now I know that any shop can do the breaks and rotors. AS

What would you expect to pay at your toyota dealership for all 4 pads and rotors? Does 800 sound right? Thanks, Adrian

I just paid $398 for Mountain rotors and OEM Toyota pads at a shop that specializes in Toyota's (on our 04 AWD RX330).

This is a great price - In my area, you can get it all done for 500 if you shopped around.

What would you expect to pay at your toyota dealership for all 4 pads and rotors? Does 800 sound right? Thanks, Adrian

I just paid $398 for Mountain rotors and OEM Toyota pads at a shop that specializes in Toyota's (on our 04 AWD RX330).

Sorry, I misread the initial post, mine was $398 for the 'front' axle, the rears would have added at least another $300 more. Sorry about that.