'04 Ls430 Navigation

I just bought my '04 LS430 with 30K and really like it except for the nav. It was just updated with new maps but still falls a bit short of my Garmin nuvi 350. Is there any way to convert the Lexus system to announce streets by name? This problem is in no way a deal breaker for me, but it would be great to have this final piece of the puzzle.

I have to agree with you, Garmen is so much better overall. I have a 750 that I love to use. My friend has a 2003 LX470 and just loves his GPS. Guess it's what you get use to. I might get the 2009 update since with rebate it will cost me $150.

No. Its 6 years old so functionality compared to late model GPS is a little lacking but integrration is good.

Tell me more about integration. What do you mean? Thanks

Just that screen is built into car and is multipurpose rather than an aftermarket unit where you just have GPS but not integrated with audio, climate and other car functions. Avoid the often awkward sticking out of the dash aftermarket GPS look as well.

Good point to bring up for the GPS screen. But still, I'm not gonna spend $700+ to upgrade to a GPS unit unless it can be modified to hook up a DVD and/or backup cam.

Any thoughts?

No. Its 6 years old so functionality compared to late model GPS is a little lacking but integrration is good.

Tell me more about integration. What do you mean? Thanks

Just that screen is built into car and is multipurpose rather than an aftermarket unit where you just have GPS but not integrated with audio, climate and other car functions. Avoid the often awkward sticking out of the dash aftermarket GPS look as well.

Good point to bring up for the GPS screen. But still, I'm not gonna spend $700+ to upgrade to a GPS unit unless it can be modified to hook up a DVD and/or backup cam.

Any thoughts?

I have heard of people getting at the video feed for the backup camera and inserting some type of video switch or multiplexer to allow a DVD player to run through the screen. Not sure how they made it work other than in reverse but I suspect there must be a way to disable that. If there was a aftermarket GPS unit with composite video (analog) out you could then run it through the same screen. The idea is put the new nav in the console compartment (would need a remote antenna gps) and access it there for input but watch it on your main screen. Might be a bit clunky user experience but it is probably technically feasible.