Differential

john504

Hi , Im new to this site. How do you change differential fluid and transmission fluid?

Diffs:

Remove fill plug, then remove drain plug to let oil out, replace drain plug, pump new gear oil in, replace fill plug. righty tighty lefty loosy... not much to it.

Trans:

Remove drain plug to let fluid out, replace drain plug and add new fluid through tranny dip stick tube.

If you're going to work on you rig, you need to invest a couple of bucks in a manual. Chiltons can be had for $20, it does a very good job of describing the procedures for most minor maintenance. If you want to go deeper the FSM is around $100. Although the drain and fills above are about as simple as it gets, there are tid-bits of information that I haven't listed which the manuals have (fill height, bolt torques, fluid specs etc..)

Good Luck,

Rookie

Edit: the drain and fills above are for an LX450. You've listed LX470 as your car model, but you posted in the LX450 forum.

Hi , Im new to this site. How do you change differential fluid and transmission fluid?

Diffs:

Remove fill plug, then remove drain plug to let oil out, replace drain plug, pump new gear oil in, replace fill plug. righty tighty lefty loosy... not much to it.

Trans:

Remove drain plug to let fluid out, replace drain plug and add new fluid through tranny dip stick tube.

If you're going to work on you rig, you need to invest a couple of bucks in a manual. Chiltons can be had for $20, it does a very good job of describing the procedures for most minor maintenance. If you want to go deeper the FSM is around $100. Although the drain and fills above are about as simple as it gets, there are tid-bits of information that I haven't listed which the manuals have (fill height, bolt torques, fluid specs etc..)

Good Luck,

Rookie

Edit: the drain and fills above are for an LX450. You've listed LX470 as your car model, but you posted in the LX450 forum.

Diffs:

Trans:

Good Luck,

Rookie

I had put down the wrong model. MY car is lx450. Rookie thank you so much for your help.

• 1 month later...

Diffs:

Trans:

Good Luck,

Rookie

Just a comment about the tranny fluid -- draining the pan only removes a portion of the fluid. I don't recall the exact amount...was it half? Anyhow, I do as Rookie states and drain the fluid from the pan (and refill via engine tube) every other time I do an engine oil change...which works out to be about every 12 to 15k miles. This way I know that my transmission fluid is always relatively fresh.

• 3 weeks later...
Just a comment about the tranny fluid -- draining the pan only removes a portion of the fluid. I don't recall the exact amount...was it half?

Usually I get about 4 quarts +/- to drain out through the plug. IIRC it has around 12 in it total.

Next time around I'm going to pull the pan and clean out the bottom good. It's never been done before and I'm sure the magnets are caked with shavings.

FYI, go easy on the tranny bolt torque. The pan or bolt has been known to strip.