Which Highway All Season Tires Would You Get?

I know this is probably to late to be of help, but my dealer has a "Price Match" policy for tires and will meet anyones advertised price. That's from the Internet such as Tire rack, or a local tire shop, Costco, etc. Just get a written figure and they will sell you the exact tire at the exact price, including the two year road hazard.

I purchased a set of Michelin MXV4 from my dealer and had a terrific experience. Cost was around $179. per tire.

Paul

I haven't done anything, yet, so it's not too late. I'll try that strategy when the time comes. When I mentioned to the service writer (who is one of the younger guys at the dealership) about bringing in my own tires, he said something like they would install but not warranty them. It would just be my luck that there'd be a problem.

Who is your dealer, if I may ask? I could always say that "Blah-Blah Lexus" offers a price match policy, how about you?

And, all I can say to the "Michelin MXV4-haters" out there is that for my application, they are just fine. I do not drive in rain/mud/snow frequently and when I have the urge to "straighten out some curves" on back roads, I'll take the Vette. ;)

I hope this helps Bob. My dealer is Willis Lexus Of Des Moines, IA. and my service adviser is Laurie Kramper. A point to remember; the tires are warranted by the manufacturer, not the dealer. The road hazard coverage only provides for things like road side assistance in case of a flat, blow out, tow because of a tire fault etc.

As for the Michelin MXV4 on going saga, hang around the ES350 forum and you'll find pretty much only rave revues for a quiet, comfortable, long wearing tire. No, wouldn't put them on you vette but there great on the sedan. Not sure what bug got up Jim Clark's nostril.

Let us know how the negotiations turn out!

Cheers,

Paul

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to need new tires for my '08 RX400h AWD soon (have a little over 25K on the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's). My Lexus dealer said they probably will need replacing before the 30K service. Lexus stocks these and wants a little under $1,200 for a new set including mounting, balancing, alignment, and two year hazard warranty. I was satisfied with the way these Michelins drove in overall conditions (obviously not crazy about the "early wearout.") I am a "Michelin guy" and the only alternative I've seen that looks good to me is the "Latitude."

My initial reaction was "what a ripoff," but I'm thinking that it might be worth the extra $ if there is ANY problem in the process. I have had an issue with the vehicle pulling to the left since driving off from delivery - they checked alignment and found nothing wrong. I just inflate the left tire 4 lbs. more than the right for it to track straight. If it still does this with the new tires, I can really have them troubleshoot this.

Am I nuts for thinking this way and spending the extra $ for piece of mind? This has been a GREAT dealership experience so far except for the usual ripoff luxocar service prices.

I know this is probably to late to be of help, but my dealer has a "Price Match" policy for tires and will meet anyones advertised price. That's from the Internet such as Tire rack, or a local tire shop, Costco, etc. Just get a written figure and they will sell you the exact tire at the exact price, including the two year road hazard.

I purchased a set of Michelin MXV4 from my dealer and had a terrific experience. Cost was around $179. per tire.

Paul

Sorry to hear that. But best of luck with them.

In case you didn't note, I drive an ES 350, not an RX. The Michelins are great thank you very much.

Paul

I was just basing my comments on personal experience. The Energy MXV4 S8's were terrible. Lousy in the wet and downright scary in the snow. Their ratings on Tirerack also suck. If, by chance, you got the Primacy MXV4, their ratings are MUCH better (#1 in the same category where the Energy MXV4 S8 was #15). If you got the Primacy, you should be fine.

I'm going to need new tires for my '08 RX400h AWD soon (have a little over 25K on the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's). My Lexus dealer said they probably will need replacing before the 30K service. Lexus stocks these and wants a little under $1,200 for a new set including mounting, balancing, alignment, and two year hazard warranty. I was satisfied with the way these Michelins drove in overall conditions (obviously not crazy about the "early wearout.") I am a "Michelin guy" and the only alternative I've seen that looks good to me is the "Latitude."

My initial reaction was "what a ripoff," but I'm thinking that it might be worth the extra $ if there is ANY problem in the process. I have had an issue with the vehicle pulling to the left since driving off from delivery - they checked alignment and found nothing wrong. I just inflate the left tire 4 lbs. more than the right for it to track straight. If it still does this with the new tires, I can really have them troubleshoot this.

Am I nuts for thinking this way and spending the extra $ for piece of mind? This has been a GREAT dealership experience so far except for the usual ripoff luxocar service prices.

Paul

Sorry to hear that. But best of luck with them.

In case you didn't note, I drive an ES 350, not an RX. The Michelins are great thank you very much.

Paul

I was just basing my comments on personal experience. The Energy MXV4 S8's were terrible. Lousy in the wet and downright scary in the snow. Their ratings on Tirerack also suck. If, by chance, you got the Primacy MXV4, their ratings are MUCH better (#1 in the same category where the Energy MXV4 S8 was #15). If you got the Primacy, you should be fine.

Primacy's they are Jim. Thanks

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I got to check out the Paradas in some light snow yesterday. They seemed pretty good, WAY better than OEM Mich's. I had to step on it pretty good to get traction control to kick in but acceleration was still pretty good and it tracked straight. Braking was also better, I did get ABS to kick in but had to hit them pretty hard to do it. These seem to be decent in the snow for an A/S tire. I feel safer than with the Mich's. Our street is still snow-packed and probably even more slippery than yesterday, I'll test it again today.

That's good to hear and thanks for the report. You might want to include (in your avatar/info)the area in which you live. That way we can get an idea of what you're up against when it comes to seasonal weather.

Dave

• 5 months later...

Reporting back on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. Only have about 4-5k on them but still very happy. Great tire in all conditions. No noticeable noise and ride is fine. So much better than the OEM Mich's.

Still highly recommended. It is certainly one of the best tires (maybe THE best) for our RX's. It is still #1 rated in the Street/Sport Truck All Season category at Tirerack.

• 3 months later...

General Grabber HTS tires seem to be the best. I am getting more confused the more I read tire posts. I live in L.A. so weather is no issue. I want quiet. The Grabber is getting to the top of my list along with the Nitto NT420S. Both come in 255/55 which is really the size that looks best on my 2006 400H. Anyone actually have the General Grabber HTS?

Please don't tell me how it's not right to have 255/55....I have had my Toyos for three years and there is absolutely no issue with having a tire that is 1/2" bigger around its circumference...none. The 235s just look small in that big wheel well, in my opinion,....anyway, I would appreciate any comments on the Generals,especially if you have them on your 400h. Thanks, Rey in Sunny L.A.

Sorry for the Zombie thread resurrection. RXREY, I'm confused about your Toyos. I remember long ago when you 1st posted about your 'taller' tires. But going from 235's to 255's ?? 235(the 1st number) is the number representing the WIDTH. If you wanted taller tires (albeit only 1/2") you'd go from (second number on the size label) 235/55's to 335/60's. Getting 255/55's keeps your height the same and widens the tire. Perhaps your Toyos gauge by narrower and taller scale? I don't know. Any input would be helpfull

Here's how you calculate tire height:

(Tire width*aspect ratio*2 + wheel diameter (in milimeters)

then divide by 25.4 to obtain the height (diameter) in inches

thus,

235/55/18 tires = 28.18 inches

255/55/18 tires = 29.04 inches

Note: use .55 when multiplying the tire width by aspect ratio

Here's how you calculate tire height:

(Tire width*aspect ratio*2 + wheel diameter (in milimeters)

then divide by 25.4 to obtain the height (diameter) in inches

thus,

235/55/18 tires = 28.18 inches

255/55/18 tires = 29.04 inches

Note: use .55 when multiplying the tire width by aspect ratio

+1

That's seemingly saying what generically I was getting at. Yet Rey's 400h DOES look like his tires are taller - and that was his objective when he got them ... but the replacement set he installed ought to NOT be taller, based on the "55" number. So I'm just saying I can't reconcile the numbers with the looks.

Getting 255/55's keeps your height the same and widens the tire.

If you look at the end result of my calculations, you can see that Rey's 255/55/18 tires are in fact, taller by a noticeable 0.86 inches. If the aspect ratio and wheel diameter remain the same, as width increases, so does the tire height (diameter). Of course, the tire width increases as well, so at some point the tire will interfere with a suspension component unless wheel spacers are added.

Keep in mind, too, that larger tires are heavier tires and that extra weight may be centered further out towards the circumference - undesireable for a number of reasons.