Which Highway All Season Tires Would You Get?

If its not too late check out this tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-X&partnum=355VR9PSX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Reviews

it's rated top over any other including michelin.

I had the Bridgestone's also on my 450H, they were horrible!!

These are the tires (in 18-inch size) I will be buying for my RX400h, soon. The howling Alenzas are starting to irritate me. (Note: It may be my own fault that the Alenzas howl, since I may have waited too long before rotating them at some point). The Tirerack salesguy to whom I spoke highly recommended the Yokos.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the gas mileage will suffer with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X compared to the OEM Michelin Energy S8 LRR tires? I'm trying to decide between the Paradas and the Avid Envigors, and would like the one with the lowest rolling resistance. Tire Rack could not tell me which one would be better in this respect. I thought maybe someone who has either of these tires on their 400h could chime in.

Does anyone know if the gas mileage will suffer with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X compared to the OEM Michelin Energy S8 LRR tires? I'm trying to decide between the Paradas and the Avid Envigors, and would like the one with the lowest rolling resistance. Tire Rack could not tell me which one would be better in this respect. I thought maybe someone who has either of these tires on their 400h could chime in.

Consumer Reports tire ratings includes a rating for rolling resistance. Unfortunately, it appears that they did not test the Parada Spec-X so I could not compare.

I did mention this before but it's worth repeating. Take owner's "reviews" with a grain of salt. Many have limited experience with a wide range of tires for the particular vehicles they are driving. Often, they compare a new tire with the OEM tire that has 40,000 miles on it. A better way to compare tires is to read Consumer Reports' ratings, as well as tire test results by Tirerack, Car & Driver, and Road & Track (the last two for primarily Summer tires).

When checking possible tires at Tirerack, enter the vehicle information (including the correct size) and then choose to view ALL categories for you vehicle.

The two options I'm considering after a bunch of research (mostly on Tirerack) are the Yokohama Parada Spec-X (#1 in the Street/Sport Truck All-Season category) and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (#1 in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category).

Tirerack has more consumer reviews than any other site. Each of the above mentioned tires have over 2 million miles reported in the reviews. I would think with that many reviews, the "average" reviews should be pretty accurate. As both tires are fairly new, many of the reviews had low miles reported, but a fair number of reviewers who had already put a lot of miles on them were still happy. When you read through the reviews, you can usually tell the people who are giving honest objective reviews. It's also important to look at what kind of car they're putting them on.

Consumer Reports is good objective organization. But their reviews are only done periodically because they are reviewing SO MANY different types of products. The latest popular tires (like the Parada) are not in their reviews. I'm sure they also have a limited number of vehicles in their fleet for testing tires.

I trust the reviews at Tirerack more.

When checking possible tires at Tirerack, enter the vehicle information (including the correct size) and then choose to view ALL categories for you vehicle.

The two options I'm considering after a bunch of research (mostly on Tirerack) are the Yokohama Parada Spec-X (#1 in the Street/Sport Truck All-Season category) and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (#1 in the Ultra High Performance All-Season category).

Tirerack has more consumer reviews than any other site. Each of the above mentioned tires have over 2 million miles reported in the reviews. I would think with that many reviews, the "average" reviews should be pretty accurate. As both tires are fairly new, many of the reviews had low miles reported, but a fair number of reviewers who had already put a lot of miles on them were still happy. When you read through the reviews, you can usually tell the people who are giving honest objective reviews. It's also important to look at what kind of car they're putting them on.

Consumer Reports is good objective organization. But their reviews are only done periodically because they are reviewing SO MANY different types of products. The latest popular tires (like the Parada) are not in their reviews. I'm sure they also have a limited number of vehicles in their fleet for testing tires.

I trust the reviews at Tirerack more.

Well, I can't wait, the Paradas are sounding more and more like what I have been looking for this past year of researching. Here in L.A. they will be a perfect tire for me and the reviews are stellar. I think that my Toyos, which have been really good, still have another 10K in them, they have 35K on them now but still look great....but I am going to try the Yokohama Parada Spec X s next. This site has been great, thanks, Rey in sunny L.A...even on November!

Here's a little additional info. The ExtremeContacts blew away the competition in a winter driving test conducted by Tirerack of Ultra High Performance A/S tires. I don't think I've ever seen a tire come out so far ahead in one of their comparison tests.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

I need to make a decision soon. We'll be taking the 400h up to the Boston area for Thanksgiving. I want new shoes before then.

My priorities are: 1) dry and wet handling (including resistance to hydroplaning), 2) ride comfort and noise, 3) winter driving, and 4) wear. Although last year was an extreme exception, we typically don't get a lot of snow (if conditions get real bad, the wife just works from home), and the Parada gets good marks for winter conditions. The 400h gets driven pretty infrequently lately (maybe 5-6k per year), the wife uses the Prius for commuting and I prefer my BMW, so wear is basically unimportant.

I'm nearly at a point of flipping a coin. Need to go back to the reviews (wish I could sort the reviews by vehicle type) and then make a decision soon. It could come down to looks, the ExtremeContacts have a funky asymmetrical tread pattern which apparently performs very well but I think I like the Parada's looks better.

Have to pull the trigger soon. If anyone has any more opinions or info, please speak up.

The Continental's are way-overkill for a comfort-based SUV like the RX400h or RX450h. Those tires would be great on a Porsche Cayenne twin-turbo but would most likely result in a choppier ride than would the Yokos.

I have the Conti Summer versions of the Extremes on my Mazda MX6 GT, but that is a 2700-lb car that is lowered on Eibach springs. A luxury SUV cannot effectively utilize ultra-high performance tires - why spend the extra money?

Well, you asked for my opinion!

I'm going to need new tires for my '08 RX400h AWD soon (have a little over 25K on the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's). My Lexus dealer said they probably will need replacing before the 30K service. Lexus stocks these and wants a little under $1,200 for a new set including mounting, balancing, alignment, and two year hazard warranty. I was satisfied with the way these Michelins drove in overall conditions (obviously not crazy about the "early wearout.") I am a "Michelin guy" and the only alternative I've seen that looks good to me is the "Latitude."

My initial reaction was "what a ripoff," but I'm thinking that it might be worth the extra $ if there is ANY problem in the process. I have had an issue with the vehicle pulling to the left since driving off from delivery - they checked alignment and found nothing wrong. I just inflate the left tire 4 lbs. more than the right for it to track straight. If it still does this with the new tires, I can really have them troubleshoot this.

Am I nuts for thinking this way and spending the extra $ for piece of mind? This has been a GREAT dealership experience so far except for the usual ripoff luxocar service prices.

The Yokohama Parada Spec-X, which are highly recommended by Tirerack.com, cost about $752, including rebate, shipping, valve stems, and mounting/balancing.

I'll be ordering mine within the next month or so.

I'm going to need new tires for my '08 RX400h AWD soon (have a little over 25K on the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's). My Lexus dealer said they probably will need replacing before the 30K service. Lexus stocks these and wants a little under $1,200 for a new set including mounting, balancing, alignment, and two year hazard warranty. I was satisfied with the way these Michelins drove in overall conditions (obviously not crazy about the "early wearout.") I am a "Michelin guy" and the only alternative I've seen that looks good to me is the "Latitude."

My initial reaction was "what a ripoff," but I'm thinking that it might be worth the extra $ if there is ANY problem in the process. I have had an issue with the vehicle pulling to the left since driving off from delivery - they checked alignment and found nothing wrong. I just inflate the left tire 4 lbs. more than the right for it to track straight. If it still does this with the new tires, I can really have them troubleshoot this.

Am I nuts for thinking this way and spending the extra $ for piece of mind? This has been a GREAT dealership experience so far except for the usual ripoff luxocar service prices.

$1200 IS a rip-off for an inferior tire. The MXV4's are deficient in any kind of slippery conditions. You need to do more reading here (this thread and others) and at Tirerack. Yes, you're nuts, why you think you'll get peace of mind with the POS Mich's seems crazy to me.

The Continental's are way-overkill for a comfort-based SUV like the RX400h or RX450h. Those tires would be great on a Porsche Cayenne twin-turbo but would most likely result in a choppier ride than would the Yokos.

I have the Conti Summer versions of the Extremes on my Mazda MX6 GT, but that is a 2700-lb car that is lowered on Eibach springs. A luxury SUV cannot effectively utilize ultra-high performance tires - why spend the extra money?

I'm convinced, I'm going with the Paradas.

My local mechanic just through a wrench in the works. I mentioned I was considering the Paradas and DWS's. He said that he would take the DWS's over the Paradas hands down. He did say to make sure whatever tires I got had a XL rating for eXtra Load vs. a SL rating for Standard Load. He said the XL's have stiffer sidewalls to handle the extra weight.

Also, the DWS's totally kicked butt in the UHP A/S winter driving test done by Tirerack.

I realize a SUV probably does not need UHP tires. But what can it hurt? The price difference is minimal.

Looks like it's the DWS's.

The Yokohama Parada Spec-X, which are highly recommended by Tirerack.com, cost about $752, including rebate, shipping, valve stems, and mounting/balancing.

I'll be ordering mine within the next month or so.

I have 6000 miles on a set of these and love them. My installed price at Discount Tire was $763 including a road hazard warranty.

Tom

My local mechanic just through a wrench in the works. I mentioned I was considering the Paradas and DWS's. He said that he would take the DWS's over the Paradas hands down. He did say to make sure whatever tires I got had a XL rating for eXtra Load vs. a SL rating for Standard Load. He said the XL's have stiffer sidewalls to handle the extra weight.

Also, the DWS's totally kicked butt in the UHP A/S winter driving test done by Tirerack.

I realize a SUV probably does not need UHP tires. But what can it hurt? The price difference is minimal.

I think your mechanic should stick to mechanics, not tires. According to the Tirerack website, the Yokohama Paradas have exactly the same load rating as the Continentals DWS tires. Both have a higher load rating than the OEM Michelin and Goodyear tires (1764 lbs per tire vs. 1709, OEM). The only difference is that the Paradas have the same speed rating as the OEM tires (V, which is good to 149 MPH), whereas the DWSs have a "W" rating, which is 168 MPH. What this means is that the DWSs will produce a stiffer, more punishing ride than will the Paradas. Is that what you want? As I mentioned earlier, this stiffer-sidewall-based tire may be perfect for an all-out handling SUV such as the twin-turbo Cayenne, but just doesn't make sense for a ride-based luxury SUV like the RX400h.

Dave

I think your mechanic should stick to mechanics, not tires. According to the Tirerack website, the Yokohama Paradas have exactly the same load rating as the Continentals DWS tires. Both have a higher load rating than the OEM Michelin and Goodyear tires (1764 lbs per tire vs. 1709, OEM). The only difference is that the Paradas have the same speed rating as the OEM tires (V, which is good to 149 MPH), whereas the DWSs have a "W" rating, which is 168 MPH. What this means is that the DWSs will produce a stiffer, more punishing ride than will the Paradas. Is that what you want? As I mentioned earlier, this stiffer-sidewall-based tire may be perfect for an all-out handling SUV such as the twin-turbo Cayenne, but just doesn't make sense for a ride-based luxury SUV like the RX400h.

Dave

The Paradas are ordered from Tirerack, being drop-shipped to my mechanic (he couldn't get them direct, backordered). Total cost will probably be about $850 with road force balancing.

BTW, even Tirerack didn't have the DWS's in stock, they said they're backordered indefinitely.

I'll report back about the Paradas.

Jim,

I'm glad you chose the Paradas. We know that Gryphon stills loves them after 6000 miles, so chances are, you and I will as well.I would recommend rotating them before 5000 miles to make sure a non-reversible wear pattern doesn't produce constant humming like my Alenzas do.

Jim,

I'm glad you chose the Paradas. We know that Gryphon stills loves them after 6000 miles, so chances are, you and I will as well.I would recommend rotating them before 5000 miles to make sure a non-reversible wear pattern doesn't produce constant humming like my Alenzas do.

They were mounted yesterday. They all passed road force balance, only one needed to be spun on the rim to get it within spec. It's raining today so I'll take it out and see how it does, BUT the coating from the mold is obviously still on them which will negatively affect performance for the first 500 miles.

I like the tread pattern, it looks like it should evacuate water very well, and probably do OK in the snow.

My Paradas from Tire Rack should be arriving tomorrow. I'll report back when I've got a few miles on them.

Update 11/22/10: I really like the Paradas so far. They are quieter than the stock Michelin Energy MXV4 S8s and handle great! They performed really well today in the first snowstorm of the season. Cars were slipping and getting stuck everywhere and I made it home just fine.

Edited by maseace

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably to late to be of help, but my dealer has a "Price Match" policy for tires and will meet anyones advertised price. That's from the Internet such as Tire rack, or a local tire shop, Costco, etc. Just get a written figure and they will sell you the exact tire at the exact price, including the two year road hazard.

I purchased a set of Michelin MXV4 from my dealer and had a terrific experience. Cost was around $179. per tire.

Paul

I know this is probably to late to be of help, but my dealer has a "Price Match" policy for tires and will meet anyones advertised price. That's from the Internet such as Tire rack, or a local tire shop, Costco, etc. Just get a written figure and they will sell you the exact tire at the exact price, including the two year road hazard.

I purchased a set of Michelin MXV4 from my dealer and had a terrific experience. Cost was around $179. per tire.

Paul

Sorry to hear that. But best of luck with them.

Put over 1k miles on the Paradas this past weekend. DC-Boston and back. Impressed so far. Ride=excellent, noise=excellent, handling=excellent (crisper turn-in). Some wet driving, seemed very sure-footed, no hydro-planing on the few puddles I drove through, seemed to evacuate water extremely well. So far so good, very confident they were the right choice.

Paul

Sorry to hear that. But best of luck with them.

In case you didn't note, I drive an ES 350, not an RX. The Michelins are great thank you very much.

Paul

Paul

I haven't done anything, yet, so it's not too late. I'll try that strategy when the time comes. When I mentioned to the service writer (who is one of the younger guys at the dealership) about bringing in my own tires, he said something like they would install but not warranty them. It would just be my luck that there'd be a problem.

Who is your dealer, if I may ask? I could always say that "Blah-Blah Lexus" offers a price match policy, how about you?

And, all I can say to the "Michelin MXV4-haters" out there is that for my application, they are just fine. I do not drive in rain/mud/snow frequently and when I have the urge to "straighten out some curves" on back roads, I'll take the Vette. ;)