Which Highway All Season Tires Would You Get?

I currently have 24K on my OEM Goodyear tires and am ready to buy new tires in the next few weeks. I've read a lot of good things about the Bridgestone Alenzas, but on Tirerack website (has anyone ordered from them?), they also list the Yokohama AVID V4S, the Goodyear Fortena Triple Tred, and the Kumho Road Venture APT K51 as good tires (ratings from consumers are approx. 8.4 to 8.6 out of 10).

Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I did a ton of research myself over the past few weeks.

I just purchased the Nitto NT420s in 255/55/18.

$556 to my front door.

Out of all the tires in this size, at www.discounttiredirect.com, these had the best overall rating among consumers within an affordable price range. That said enough for me.

Of course, this tire is different than most...design wise, but I look more for function than glamor. I am a bit nervous on the overall diameter, but if need be, Ill keep my golf clubs in the rear to help things out! :lol:

They are NOT a directional tire...according to NITTO.com which means they can be rotated all over the place.

Here they are on a VW Toureg (sp?)

2-1600-31257-l-cNERRgiAZgt1Hd07vXBVSg.gif

• 5 months later...

These tires look great. Have you noticed if your MPGs changed? I read great reviews on these and they are thought to be very quiet which I am looking for. Rey in L.A.

Update 9 /2011....as you may be able to see from my new avatar...I got the 235/55/18 Yokohama Parada Spec X tires and after a few thousand miles, they are fabulous...quiet, nice looking and very smooth. Rey on LA

I'm not sure if they are similar, but the Nitto NT 555s did very poorly among tires tested by Consumer Reports (ranked 20 out of 21 tires). Noise level was worse than average - not good for a luxury vehicle. On the other hand, the Nitto Neo Gen ZR did fairly well, placing 2nd among 15 all-season tires.

I'm not sure if they are similar, but the Nitto NT 555s did very poorly among tires tested by Consumer Reports (ranked 20 out of 21 tires). Noise level was worse than average - not good for a luxury vehicle. On the other hand, the Nitto Neo Gen ZR did fairly well, placing 2nd among 15 all-season tires.

No the 555s are very different. So far these (Nitto NT 420S) seem to be very good tires...still researching. I am hoping to hear from "pinggolf" as to how they ride. I hear they are quiet and give a great smooth ride.

Well...I did a ton of research myself over the past few weeks.

I just purchased the Nitto NT420s in 255/55/18.

$556 to my front door.

Out of all the tires in this size, at www.discounttiredirect.com, these had the best overall rating among consumers within an affordable price range. That said enough for me.

Of course, this tire is different than most...design wise, but I look more for function than glamor. I am a bit nervous on the overall diameter, but if need be, Ill keep my golf clubs in the rear to help things out! :lol:

They are NOT a directional tire...according to NITTO.com which means they can be rotated all over the place.

Here they are on a VW Toureg (sp?)

2-1600-31257-l-cNERRgiAZgt1Hd07vXBVSg.gif

Wow, thanks for this post. I didn't know much about Nitto but these particular tires, NT420S , have ntohing but great reviews. I am confused though...they have two tires called the same, or almost the same: NT420S 255/55/18" (Like I already have) but one is an H rated "performance" tire and the other is a V rated "Touring" tire. What I am asking is...wouldn't the "touring" tire be the H rated and the "performance" tire be the V? Does this make sense? Rey in L.A.

wouldn't the "touring" tire be the H rated and the "performance" tire be the V?

Rey, I'm with you, that doesn't make much sense. I guess they can market it as whatever they want to, but the higher speed rated tire should be by definition the performance tire compared to the H rated tire.

General Grabber HTS tires seem to be the best. I am getting more confused the more I read tire posts. I live in L.A. so weather is no issue. I want quiet. The Grabber is getting to the top of my list along with the Nitto NT420S. Both come in 255/55 which is really the size that looks best on my 2006 400H. Anyone actually have the General Grabber HTS?

Please don't tell me how it's not right to have 255/55....I have had my Toyos for three years and there is absolutely no issue with having a tire that is 1/2" bigger around its circumference...none. The 235s just look small in that big wheel well, in my opinion,....anyway, I would appreciate any comments on the Generals,especially if you have them on your 400h. Thanks, Rey in Sunny L.A.

wouldn't the "touring" tire be the H rated and the "performance" tire be the V?

Rey, I'm with you, that doesn't make much sense. I guess they can market it as whatever they want to, but the higher speed rated tire should be by definition the performance tire compared to the H rated tire.

Oh good, it's not just me. Rey

General Grabber HTS tires seem to be the best. I am getting more confused the more I read tire posts. I live in L.A. so weather is no issue. I want quiet. The Grabber is getting to the top of my list along with the Nitto NT420S. Both come in 255/55 which is really the size that looks best on my 2006 400H. Anyone actually have the General Grabber HTS?

Please don't tell me how it's not right to have 255/55....I have had my Toyos for three years and there is absolutely no issue with having a tire that is 1/2" bigger around its circumference...none. The 235s just look small in that big wheel well, in my opinion,....anyway, I would appreciate any comments on the Generals,especially if you have them on your 400h. Thanks, Rey in Sunny L.A.

The General Grabbers do get high marks, but their tread life is worse than average (about the same as the Alenza's tread life).

The General Grabbers do get high marks, but their tread life is worse than average (about the same as the Alenza's tread life).

That doesn't bother me. I haven't read ANYTHING negative about the General Grabber HTSs so even though I still have about a year to decide, these tires sound like everything that I have been looking for. They are consistantly described as very quiet and a great feel on the road. I did hear that they last a LONG time so I don't know where you heard otherwise...but everything else sounds so great that I put them at the top of my list followed by the Nitto NT420S and the Kumho APT k51, all come in the 255/55/18" size that I prefer.

Consumer Reports has an independant lab test each tire for tread wear. I'm not sure, but I believe the rating is based upon a comparison to the longest-lasting of the tires, no matter what the speed rating. Keep in mind that many people compare their tires' longevity to that of their OEM tires, which rarely last longer than 30,000 miles. Some OEM tires last less than 20,000 miles, so a set of General Grabbers that last 30,000 miles would seem like they are superior in this regard.

By the way, do you know what the speed rating is for the Grabbers?

Consumer Reports has an independant lab test each tire for tread wear. I'm not sure, but I believe the rating is based upon a comparison to the longest-lasting of the tires, no matter what the speed rating. Keep in mind that many people compare their tires' longevity to that of their OEM tires, which rarely last longer than 30,000 miles. Some OEM tires last less than 20,000 miles, so a set of General Grabbers that last 30,000 miles would seem like they are superior in this regard.

By the way, do you know what the speed rating is for the Grabbers?

The speed rating for the General Grabbers HTS is "T". I just saw these on another site and they say they are "H" rated

They have a warranty of 60,000 miles. These other numbers I don't understand and don't know what they mean:

640 AB

109 H XL

These I do understand:

2271 weight limit, tire weight is 35lb (for my size, 255/55/18"), 29" diameter, just like my current Toyo Proxes S/Ts

Honestly, these German made tires have the best reviews that I have read about ANY tires thus far. Please tell me if there is something that I am not understanding. By next year I will have decided and unless someone tells me otherwise, I can't see why these aren't the best tires for me. The only luke warm thing that I could find was about their performance in icy conditions... Which I have NEVER encountered here in L.A. nor do I drive to the snow or anything like that. Rey

• 4 months later...

Hey, first time posting. Did anyone get the Nitto's or Grabbers? Am looking for some feedback. I have Scorpion Ice and Snows for the winter and now need to replace the stock Eagles for the rest of the year. Am looking at a pure high performance tire with no need for wet or snow grip. Was evaluating my tire rack suggestions (Yoko Avid ENV, Michelin Latitudes, Bridgestone Alenza's). I hadn't heard of General or Nitto but was impressed with reviews. Unfortunately, I have the 225/65/17 size and the HTS and NT420s don't do 17" easily. If they are awesome, would consider buying new wheels too...

• 1 month later...

Hey, first time posting. Did anyone get the Nitto's or Grabbers? Am looking for some feedback. I have Scorpion Ice and Snows for the winter and now need to replace the stock Eagles for the rest of the year. Am looking at a pure high performance tire with no need for wet or snow grip. Was evaluating my tire rack suggestions (Yoko Avid ENV, Michelin Latitudes, Bridgestone Alenza's). I hadn't heard of General or Nitto but was impressed with reviews. Unfortunately, I have the 225/65/17 size and the HTS and NT420s don't do 17" easily. If they are awesome, would consider buying new wheels too...

Why are you running 225/65/17 on a 400h? Is that for the winter tires? Those rims are not the OEM for a 400h.

You really should be running the OEM size or 255/55 on 18 rims for the rest of the year. Where are your factory rims? Did you get the car used?

I'm getting the Nitto's next week, but only on one axle because... well because its a long story... but I will be able to compare how they handle with the G/Y Eagle Responsedge on the other axle.

I keep running across more and more great reviews on the General Grabber HTS tires. I found this to be interesting:

http://ezinearticles.com/?General-Grabber-...&id=2708007

They tend to be noisy and wear out fast according to my tire guy. Nitto's wear fast too, but are quieter. I don't think either tires are all season tire (as the thread would imply).

Yoko Avid ENVigor are far better tires (60K warr) and seem to be reasonably priced, unlike the Continentals.

• 1 month later...

For those considering new tires, I rely on the Tirerack "survey" results to help make my choice. I have found their survey results to be pretty good as far as giving you basic info.on the good or bad as far as comparing different tires. I have ordered tires from Tirerack 2 X, and they ship the next business day (UPS), and you get your tires within a few days time. Sometimes Discount Tire/America's Tire will match their price.

I just purchased a 2010 Lexus 450h last week and looked up the tires on Tirerack (Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400's). They were rated as very poor in general (rank 56 out of 58 for highway all-season),and especially for rain/winter conditions. I decided to order new tires from Tirerack and will be replacing these this week (< 200 miles on the OEM tires). I opted for the Michelin Latitude Tour HP as they were rated pretty good and they had the size (235/55R19) for my SUV. If the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's or the standard Michelin Latitude's had come in that size, I would have ordered those since they are rankled # 2 and # 1 respectively in their class of tire.

A great find for that size tire. I was looking in a different category and did not see the street/sport truck all-season one. They already shipped my Michelins, so I will have a lesser rated tire vs. the one you pointed out. I should have checked all categories for that size. Here is the category I was checking in.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS

Thanks for pointing out that tire--will keep in mind for the future. Will be happy to dump the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400's.