Ls 400 Engine Light

Lexusqween

I have a 1995 LS400, recently I had a timing belt and water pump put on it. I bought it with 117K miles on it. Four months after having the work done it started overheating. I had a thermostat put on and it still over heated. I took it back to the shop that did the work and he said it needed a flush and fill. OK two months later the engine light comes on, it reads crankshaft sensor, I have one install, engine light comes back on within an hour, same code, this time they tell me I need camshaft position sensors, OK had that done, engine light again within the hour. New battery and starter, engine light back on with same code for crankshaft sensor.

What else could be wrong??? Please help

wow seems like your stuck in the same boat as i am. my cars engine light has come on after i replaced the o2 sensors and the cam position sensor #2. the lights stayed off one day and then they came back. the car ran pretty good though when they were off.

You have replaced the various sensors but have you checked the connectors and the wiring to them?

A common problem when replacing the cam belt is the wiring to the cam sensors is not refitted correctly and the wiring can come into contact with the belts ( timing and/or auxillary), a similar thing can happen with the crank angle sensor.

So have a good look at the wiring to these components it may just be this and will save you $$$ in buying parts you dont need.

Thanks or the information. I will have the wiring and the connections looked at. One more problem has started since then, Its leaking anti-freeze now

when you take a look the wire is some wire go in to timing cover , on both side head that 2 posible place to have wire cut , by timing belt , is inside the cover , or outside in the front timing cover cut by drive belt , most the time when the clip where the wire suposed to be hold is broken or wire not in the place . kind litle bit tricky on this situation to look the one inside the toming cover cause you got to open the top timing cover all the way to the air duct from air filter on the passanger side .

Good luck , hope you will find it

well i would take it back to that shop, and show them. i wouldn't let them talk you into saying its this or that. if they fixed this car 6 months ago it shouldnt have a problem. i would also check the coolant resevoir cap. if the rubber washer is flaking its not properly sealed off and it might cause the pump to leak. it could be possible that they didnt seal the pump off right with the gasket and that red gasket stuff. but definitly dont let that shop walk all over you, they're trying to get money out of you.

well i would take it back to that shop, and show them. i wouldn't let them talk you into saying its this or that. if they fixed this car 6 months ago it shouldnt have a problem. i would also check the coolant resevoir cap. if the rubber washer is flaking its not properly sealed off and it might cause the pump to leak. it could be possible that they didnt seal the pump off right with the gasket and that red gasket stuff. but definitly dont let that shop walk all over you, they're trying to get money out of you.

I agree...there is no way that your car should start having multiple problems since you took it in just to get one fixed...I usually ask them to show me the old part that they replace and show me the new part and then ask them to give me the old part just to make sure that they are replacing the old parts....but you may not be that extreme but I am. most of us who drive a Lexus have to be careful because these boot-leg mechanics be thinking dollar signs when they see us coming in...protect yourself as best you can and if need be, get another honest more competant mechanic....Good Luck...