Ipod Usb Cable - Does It Have To Go In The Glove Box?

elementau

The iPod installation instructions I've seen for a bunch of various Lexus and Toyota models all have the iPod connection in the glove box.

I suppose you could ask to see if the dealer is willing or even allowed to install the iPod connection in another location.

Or you could just buy the kit and install it yourself wherever you want if the cable is long enough. It doesn't look very difficult assuming you have basic skills and the appropriate tools.

Installing an aux interface into the back our our Camry's radio took me about 15 minutes -- which is kind of funny since we don't use iPods or MP3 players ... bought the aux interface only to connect a phone kit's mute wire to the radio's mute pin.

The closest iPod install instructions I can find are for a European IS250 but I'm pretty sure it's the same for the ES and other U.S. models. Have a look.

IS250_iPod_install_instructions.pdf

Has anyone had the Lexus Factory iPod cable installed? Must the connector go into the glove box or can they wire it to the center console? Or maybe even into the small ashtray compartment? Please advise before I get this done. TIA.

I installed one in my wife's 08 about a year ago. You can place the iPod anywhere the cable will reach. I don't remember if it is long enough to reach the center of the console. Installing one is not a 15 minute job. It took me several hours as some of the console parts must be removed as well as trim on the dash so that the radio can be removed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
When I bought my car and had mine installed at Lexus they gave me the option of glovebox or center console. Advantage of glovebox is you can lock it.

Just got done asking the dealership about the center console. I actually want it in the ashtray and they said they can do any location! Hooray!! I'm getting it done next week.

• 3 weeks later...
Enjoy!! It is nice to have it for sure.

Got it installed today! Works great, just takes some getting used to. Got it installed in the center console and the install looks so clean it's like it was meant to be there. Work with my iphone too! Supposedly you're supposed to be able to play pandora radio, but I haven't figured out that hack yet. Thanks everyone for the input!

• 3 months later...

I just bought a 2010 ES and here is my thoughts on the topic. An IPOD 16GB Nano runs $180. The USB jack is in the center console which is accessable to valets, workers at the car wash, etc. It would be preferable to store an IPOD in the glove box because the glove box can be locked -- even when you give the key fob to the valet parking guy or the guy at the car wash.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone had the Lexus Factory iPod cable installed? Must the connector go into the glove box or can they wire it to the center console? Or maybe even into the small ashtray compartment? Please advise before I get this done. TIA.

Just a thought.

I have a cable connected to the audio jack in the console and I have the cable coming out where I connect my iPod.

The console door has enough of a gap that it closes just fine on the cable with no problems. I thought maybe the cable would go quick but it's a 2007 and the cable is still working fine.

hey this is my first post, i have a 07 ES 350, and i bought this on EBAY for my iphone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-2006-2007-2008-20...=item5189e7d5a0

i had to take out a few pieces in order to remove the radio, so i could get to the back of it. install was very easy and so was putting everything back together. i ended up running the wire to the center console it is very convenient to see who's calling since you can't transfer the phone book with the iphone. steering wheel and all other controls work the same as the Lexus factory option, but much more cheaper to do if your willing to do the work.

SAY