Know Anything About Computers?

SW03ES

Hey guys,

I'm buying a new laptop for business. All I am doing is word processing, internet, processing pictures, spreadsheets, some publisher documents. Every once and a while I'll play a game or watch a DVD when I am travelling.

I am trying to decide if an Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2.1ghz, 2MB L2 cache, 800mhz FSB is enough or if I should spring for the 2.0Ghz, 3MB L2 cache, 1066Mhz FSB...

The computer has 3GB of ram....

For the processor, the first one should be enough. For mobility, you may also want to look at the weight and battery life.

What do you mean by processing pictures? photoshop?

Both of them come with Vista? Vista business, I assume?

We bought one of those Acer Netbooks last Christmas. I also rebuilt our home computer with upgraded motherboard, processor, ram, etc, around that same time. Since we got the netbook, we barely even use the desktop. We love it! It IS a normal computer in every way, except for the lack of a dvd/cd player, or floppy "A" drive. BUT, there is a very easy way to get around that, if you have a wireless setup in the house and another computer with those devices "like a desk top". I was able to set up a wireless home network between the Acer and the desktop. This set up basically makes the desktop the slave computer for the netbook. If I need to install software "like Office Pro or Photoshop", all I have to do is put the disc in the desktop computer, and click on the shared cd:rom icon on the netbook. It installs the software wirelessly from the desktop to the netbook. You can turn on/off anything that you want to "share" between computers, making one an extension of the other.

The mobility of the netbook can't be beat. It can fit in my wife's purse! We've never had a problem with it, other than some update a couple weeks ago that killed the wireless connection. But, that turned out to the be the security software's fault, as the update tripped the firewall.

If you've got a setup like mine, then I think you'd be very happy with it. All you need to make a netbook a fully functional real-deal computer is another machine with wireless ability that has a cd player to use to install whatever you want on the computer! Can't argue with $300 bucks either. And the mobility of them are simply amazing. It fits in my wife's purse with no problems. The only time we use the desktop now, is to support the netbook. I think I've turned it on maybe 10 times since we moved to Chicago.

PS: It's faster than our desktop too.

Basically just uploading pictures to the internet, no Photoshop or anything like that.

My wife suggested the Netbook..only issue is I use the laptop at the office to write contracts and look at listings and that sort of thing, I'd be slightly concerned about the screen...

If your going to be on the computer for an extended time I don't think a netbook is for you. I had an Asus Eee PC and it was just too small, I have two 15-inch notebooks (a MacBook Pro and Dell latitude) and after using the Eee I felt crosseyed.

My favorite business notebooks are Dell's Latitude line. I have a Latitude D820 that I've had for over 2 years that has been beaten pretty bad but has held up well. I would STRONGLY advise against HPs, we have a few HP notebooks at my office that our former IT guy bought that are full of problems.

To answer your question though I'd go with the second processor choice, the speed may seem lower but with more cache and a higher bus speed it will be much faster.

Just as an FYI I am the head of my companies IT department and am certified both Microsoft Professional and Microsoft Desktop Support Technician, so if you need to ask any computer questions I'd be happy to answer.

I can understand the screen concern, certainly. It is smaller, but me personally, I haven't had any issued with its size though. Our desktop has duel 17' flat panel screens, and when I use that thing, my head hurts! One option to get around the small screen though, is to simply connect a monitor to it. If you've got an extra one at the office, that's be all you'd need. Hook up a usb keyboard and usb mouse, and you'd basically have a desktop computer the size of a pocket book. But, if you need constant access to a cd player, then you don't want to go this route. The wireless setup I was talking about earlier is great for those one-off situations, like installing something. If I had to go up and down those stair all the time to change out the cd for the netbook to access, I'd go nuts (more so than I already am, which is saying something!)

Lenovo has a netbook for about the same price as the Acer, and it's even slimmer and made of a higher quality case. I think they make some great stuff too. They're IBM's old retail division. You agree Kyle?

I definitely like Lenovo ThinkPads, I can't say anything for the rest of the line because I haven't used it but if they put the same engineering in the rest of the line as the ThinkPads then I like it.

I get what your saying about hooking up the netbook to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and that makes a lot of sense. However as you mentioned he wants to watch DVDs occasionally so he'd have to carry around a DVD drive all the time.

Get a Mac. I switched a year and a half ago from a Dell, and it has been heaven...it doesn't take 5 minutes to start, no freezes, build quality second to none, stylish designs, no more annual reformats, excellent battery life. etc. They are far more expensive than their PC competitors, though. My little Macbook is just fantastic; I'd buy it again today--I LOVE it. MS Office for Mac makes compatibility a non issue for me.

I agree, Mac's are more user friendly and the new leopard operating system is very attractive, useful and fast. But they do have one annoying feature or lack of, no right click. Needless to say, according to their standards a keyboard is not even worthy of their laptops as well...........j/k

MacBook Wheel:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/macbook...n-news-network/

Basically just uploading pictures to the internet, no Photoshop or anything like that.

My wife suggested the Netbook..only issue is I use the laptop at the office to write contracts and look at listings and that sort of thing, I'd be slightly concerned about the screen...

Steve, if you're not overly concerned with high end picture quality (printing), or blazing speed (gaming), any of the ones mentioned will prob do the job for you. I have my Toshiba 17" laptop networked with my desktops. A usb mouse, number pad, and a keypad led are all I add. The next addition will be a 19" Toshiba. Although I've travelled with it (and it's bulletproof), it really functions as a desktop replacement. It has enough options that allow me to have a multi display setup (with a 19" lcd), even an direct svideo output for tv, access to a network backup array, scanner, printer, fax, wireless connection to my stereo (control speakers, volume, content, throughout the studio), and plenty of horsepower to multitask. If I need something more portable or smaller, then it's the Blackberry. As for screen size, I think if you don't have any vision issues, you can adapt to almost any screen size, but the first time you come across an extraodinary photograph, you'll be looking for a decent quality/sized display to appreciate the detail. Go to FutureShop for comparisons. They've got quite a few brands available for flight testing, side by side.

I agree, Mac's are more user friendly and the new leopard operating system is very attractive, useful and fast. But they do have one annoying feature or lack of, no right click. Needless to say, according to their standards a keyboard is not even worthy of their laptops as well...........j/k

MacBook Wheel:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/05/macbook...n-news-network/

Sure they right click! There are a couple different ways to do it:

-Control + click

-Two fingers on the touch pad + click

-And the Apple Mighty Mouse right clicks as well. It appears to have one button, but it has sensors inside that let it know whether you click on the left part of the shell or the right part. I have one, it's a good mouse, but it tears through batteries.

I loved that, "the computer is virtually unbreakable unless dropped or hit." LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I bought?

A Mac.

13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26gGhz, 2GBRAM, 160GB HD. I'm going to upgrade it to 4GB when I get it. Should be here Tuesday, had to order it through my company's Apple rep to get the special pricing.

I'm excited!

ive had my powerbook g4 for a while and love it. it never messes up, it does get hot, but nothing that a lil fan control program couldn't solve. i doubt that a dual core intel will get as hot as a power pc processor though, so it wont not even be an issue. congrats on your new purchase, macs operating system is great. the right click will work if you just hold down control.

Sw, Congrats on the Mac purchase, My next laptop will be a Mac also. I am sick and tired of Windows problems and reformating etc... Let us know how it works out for you.

Me too!!! Especially since my version of XP Pro isn't exactly on the "up n' up", if you know what I mean! They've figured it out too, and if I don't tell every single program to never communicate with the "!Removed!-ship" for updates, they send some kind of bug that requires me to redu the entire machine. I've had this copy-able version of XP for 7 years now. I think I've gotten my money's worth, and it's getting tougher and tougher to avoid the "update bugs". When it comes time to cough up the dough to go legit, I'm going to assign that $300 for the operating system alone, to a Mac!

Sw, Congrats on the Mac purchase, My next laptop will be a Mac also. I am sick and tired of Windows problems and reformating etc... Let us know how it works out for you.

Me too!!! Especially since my version of XP Pro isn't exactly on the "up n' up", if you know what I mean! They've figured it out too, and if I don't tell every single program to never communicate with the "!Removed!-ship" for updates, they send some kind of bug that requires me to redu the entire machine. I've had this copy-able version of XP for 7 years now. I think I've gotten my money's worth, and it's getting tougher and tougher to avoid the "update bugs". When it comes time to cough up the dough to go legit, I'm going to assign that $300 for the operating system alone, to a Mac!

Yeah, Christmas is coming sooner than I thought, If you know what I mean ;) XP isn't nearly as bad as Vista, Which is the worst OS on the planet :chairshot: :censored:

Guess what I bought?

A Mac.

13.3" MacBook Pro 2.26gGhz, 2GBRAM, 160GB HD. I'm going to upgrade it to 4GB when I get it. Should be here Tuesday, had to order it through my company's Apple rep to get the special pricing.

I'm excited!

That is awesome, Steve! You are going to LOVE it. It seems like a lot of people are converting lately. I really want to buy a new base model MBP, but my current little MB is just fantastic, so I can't justify spending $1,200 on a new one. Get Office for Mac and flip4mac, and life will be good with the winblows world. Most of us at work are Mac people, and we've all been upgrading to Snow Leopard. B) It freed up 12GB on my MB. Was your rep able to beat the prices at Macmall.com? I bought mine from them, and they were cheaper than anyone (mostly from the lack of tax).

Guess what I bought?

A Mac.

I'm excited!

Congrats SW!! I've been a Mac "Fanboy" forever (I counted I've had 35 Macs, 6 iPods, 2 iPhones and an Apple TV), I'm currently using a 15-inch MacBook Pro that I absolutely love! Beware though, once you go Mac you can't go back... :lol:

you guys just reminded me i have a 500 dollar 4870x2 graphics card in my room i need to rma. i built this sick liquid cooled desktop, probably a few years ago. had an intel quad core overclocked it from 2.4ghz to 3ghz and the fsb was at 1333mhz. (remember this was a couple of years ago) the ram was ddr2 and it was clocked at 1060mhz, and holy *BLEEP* was that thing fast. there wasnt anything you could do to stop it. it also ran at 96 degrees fahrenheit idling of course. never went above 120 under full load. also had 3 hard drives 2 160s and one 320. tried to get the 2 160s in raid but it was too complicated. damn ati and their expensive malfunctioning equipment.

you guys just reminded me i have a 500 dollar 4870x2 graphics card in my room i need to rma. i built this sick liquid cooled desktop, probably a few years ago. had an intel quad core overclocked it from 2.4ghz to 3ghz and the fsb was at 1333mhz. (remember this was a couple of years ago) the ram was ddr2 and it was clocked at 1060mhz, and holy *BLEEP* was that thing fast. there wasnt anything you could do to stop it. it also ran at 96 degrees fahrenheit idling of course. never went above 120 under full load. also had 3 hard drives 2 160s and one 320. tried to get the 2 160s in raid but it was too complicated. damn ati and their expensive malfunctioning equipment.

I literally understood none of that LOL

Blake, I actually wound up ordering it from MacMall and cancelled the order through my company. MacMall was like $7 cheaper than the rep at my company, but I would have had to pay tax through Apple and didn't have to pay tax from MacMall. Thats only on the 13" one though, the pricing through my company is tiered and on the more expensive models is cheaper, the 17" for instance is 10% off through my company. Although, once you factor in the tax MacMall is still cheaper...

That depends on whether MacMall has to charge you tax in your state.

I got Office and I got Paralells, it was free with the purchase of the Mac and Office was only $50. I'm going to try and not use the Paralells, but since it was free I figured I may as well go ahead and get it and I'll have it if I need it. You get a free printer too...so in the end I wound up with the Mac, Office, Paralells, and a printer for $1,150...not bad.

It arrives tomorrow :snoooorrrtttt:

One thing I'd suggest you get for your MacBook Pro is the Apple Care extended warranty. I bought it for my MBP (the day the original warranty expired luckily) and it saved my butt. About a month ago (after the original warranty expired) I hit my computer (I was mad and at the Windows computer I was connected to) and it fried the logic board (motherboard for all you PC users). If I didn't have the warranty it would have cost over $1,000 to repair, at that point I would have just bought a new computer, but I had the Apple Care so I took it to the nearest Apple Store, gave it to a guy at the Genius Bar and they sent it in for repair on Sunday and I got it back Tuesday in working order.