Keeping The Subwoofer With An Aftermarket Deck?

Max Power

I fitted an after market stereo in mine and used one of the aux phono outputs from the head unit to feed a separate subwoofer amp mounted in the trunk where the original CD changer was.

I then connected this amp to the existing subwoofer.

What you need to check is if the sub amp is adjustable for driving a 2 ohm subwoofer speaker as this is the standard impedance of the sub speaker fitted in the LS.

post-26370-1250628450_thumb.jpg

I fitted an after market stereo in mine and used one of the aux phono outputs from the head unit to feed a separate subwoofer amp mounted in the trunk where the original CD changer was.

I then connected this amp to the existing subwoofer.

What you need to check is if the sub amp is adjustable for driving a 2 ohm subwoofer speaker as this is the standard impedance of the sub speaker fitted in the LS.

Ok cool! thanks.

Too bad there isn't a way to just keep it simple with a deck change!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone installed an aftermarket sub in the trunk? If so, how did you get the wiring from the head unit to the trunk? DO you have to drill a hole? Is the gas tank in the way? Since the seats don't fold down, whats the best way to do it? I am having my sub and amp installed on tuesday by a professional local audio shop, but I'm still unsure how difficult it will be for them.

wiring exists for sub as it already has a sub I came in the track for the cd changer for all other wires. Best Buy geeks charge 70- to hook up a sub including power wiringyou buy/supply needed materials including new sub. Without new wiring you may have a power drain

You can hook up an aftermarket sub on your own. you just have to wire your car for the amp you're running. i would recommend getting pretty thick wire if you're gonna plan on making it bump. i've got 2 12s now my 3rd one blew...i miss my champion, but now ive just got one 1600 watt amp powering the 2 12s and its pretty loud. i really need a capacitor though, it will dim your lights pretty bad and will eventually end up killing your alternator. but when you wire it the floor panels come off, they pop in and out run the wires underneath the carpet to the back. if you take the rear seat out there are a few plates you can pop out to run wires through for your amplifier. look on lex ls for taking out the backseat and they have arrows for the plates. for the firewall there will be a plastic piece that holds a few wires right by the driver side wheel well underneath the hood, run your power cable from your battery from your fuse (get a anl fuse block) through the firewall and pop that circular plastic piece out and run the wire through there. you need a power cable, a ground which will be wired to the trunk, a remote wire (make sure you have an aftermarket radio you can hook it up to the stock but they will wire it to your fuse box...bad idea), and some speaker wire to hook your subs to your amplifier. and sorry if you knew all this, or if anything i said doesnt make any since let me help clarify it.

o yea one more thing the you need to buy rca cables and they hook into the back of your aftermarket head unit. they're long and you run them to the trunk from the back of the radio. (you should just get a amp wiring kit for about 60 bucks a nice one it'll come with everything you need)

they're just pioneer competition 12 inch subs. my original setup was with a power acoustik 1600 watt powering the 2 pioneer comps they are 1000 watt each 400 watt rms, but the champion was ran by a sony xplod mono amp. the xplod amp was also 1600 watt and i later found out the rms on the amp is 650 and the rms on the champion was 450 and the max was 1200. now i know i wasnt running full power to that xplod amp but it had to be enough to make that sub blow the voice coil. now i just have those 2 pioneers, but soon im gonna get a nice capacitor and another 8 inch kicker sub, i have one and im gonna make a box for the back seat, these speakers hit lows really good for some reason but the 12s have a wide range. one day i'll probably get another 12 inch sub and another mono amp, but that'll be a while from now.