'02-'03 Navigation Update

amf1932

Has anybody updated their navigation system with the newest version DVD disc? (00230-DVD03-CYx-2003 DVD-Based Navigation System Update) This update was released about October 2003.

If so what is entailed to make this change?

Its very easy. All you do is remove the plastic cover over the unit in the tunk and swap the DVD disc, then follow the instructions on the nav screen.

I didnt get the update because not much in my area was changed. You can get a list of whats new from www.lexus-parts.com they have a good price on the update too.

Here's some interesting information about this newly released Navigation DVD disc.

It might be worthwhile to upgrade to this newer version. What do you think about that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexus is pleased to announce the availability of the CY ’03 update navigation map DVD for dealers to order beginning October 7 2003. The major change to this calendar year’s DVD is the increase in the Points of Interest (P.O.I) from approximately two million P.O.I.s to approximately five million P.O.I.s. Additionally the DVD contains programming to update the operating systems in those vehicle systems requiring it. When contacted by customers or when explaining the benefits of the DVD update to your customers remember that the Lexus system unlike some competitive systems provides nationwide map information as well as information for parts of Canada on one disk. What’s New on the DVD Expanded Points of Interest (P.O.I.) – from approximately 2 million to approximately 5 million

Product Notes: Upon installation of the new DVD the system software will automatically update. After the update the navigation system will only support the new DVD version “DATA 2003 ver.1”. The old map database DVD will no longer be able to be read by the system.

SW03ES,

We gotta figure out a way to see if we can get that disc at a good price or better for free. I'm going to call up my Lexus salesman tomorrow to see whether he can scrounge a disc from the parts dept. ;)

P.S. I always love to have the newest toys. :D

I called up Lexus parts and sure enough they had the new DVD in stock. The price, $350 :blink:

I then called up the salesman who sold me the car. He told me that he could get it for me for $325. Wow, what a bargain. <_<

He also told me to call Lexus headquarter and tell them that I, as an old Lexus customer felt that I should not have to pay for this upgrade. Yeah, right!

I can get it online at Lexus parts for $288.

The point is that I don't want to pay the exorbitant amount that Lexus is asking for this disc! :angry:

After calling Lexus headquarters and telling them that the salesman that sold me this car told me I could get a free first time upgrade they contacted my dealer and discussed this situation. I got a call back from Lexus headquarters today and they told me that they would not give out this upgrade, free! :angry:

So, as of now I have to decide whether it'll be worth the price to do this upgrade.

I'm afraid if I decide to do this that I won't get the same girl with the pretty,sexy voice that announces directions......I'd miss her terribly. :D

I'd like to hear from anybody that has done this upgrade, and what are the noticeable advantages or disadvantages? Also, do they give you directions how to do this upgrade with the new DVD disc or is it better to have the dealer do it? I don't want to screw up the NAV system. :wacko:

The voice is the same (I like her too lol) and the upgrade is so easy you wont even need instructions. Just take the old disc out, put the new one in, and push "OK" a few times on the nav screen. All your saved locations, calendar information etc are carried over. The only reason NOT to upgrade is the cost.

I don't know the first thing about replacing the DVD disc. :blushing:

A few questions:

-How do you remove the computer cover? Is it bolted on?

-Is there a tray similar to a home DVD player that opens and closes with a motor?

-Does the new DVD come with any kind of instructions?

Thanks Steve.........I know that sooner or later I'll probably get this upgrade, but I'll do a little more research to see if I can shave a few $$$ off the price. ;)

Hey Alan...

Have you tried calling a Toyota dealership and see what they want for the DVD update disk? Toyota uses the exact same system, in fact on the Camry, Solara, and the Sienna they use the same motorized screen that the ES has. I can't imagine a Toyota Camry owner forking out $350 for an update disk, it must be priced lower. It may say "Toyota" at startup instead of "Lexus" but if its $200 less thats a small price to pay...

Hey, I'm not THAT cheap! I always loved the way the Lexus logo lights up on the screen when you first start up the car. I couldn't stand it if a Camry logo jumped up instead. Would you do that? I don't think so. LOL :lol:

So far the cheapest price I found for this disc is $288......but I'm still working on it. ;) http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetail.asp?...ubCategoryID=73

can this DVD be copied? If I am following you guys right, the DVD must be present in the player so the NAV can access it, right? It is not downloaded to memory and then accessed there, right?

If it is just a DVD it should be copyable. Why don't one of you buy it, then copy it and split the cost between the two of you. Should work unless this is an item that is programmed vehicle specific by VIN upon ordering the part (like a key).

steviej

I'm almost sure that they used some sort of copy protection like Macrovision. If they didn't then they'd stand to lose lots of $$ to computer freaks like us. LOL :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...