Es300 98 Engine Humming Noise

meadow

My es300 died while turning corner. I read the club posts and learned that the problem might have to do with idle control valve. The repair shop (not dealer) also recommended a major tune up (replace spark plug, ignition wires and clean injectors) to fix the problem. Since this car has 90K miles on it, so I also had timing belt replaced there. It costs me close to 2K total. A lot of money, but I am hoping it will last for several more years. After all of these have been done, I noticed that humming noise coming from under hood when car is in idle. I took the car to the repair shop and they adjusted the timing belt. Now the engine is quieter when it on idle, but when shift to Drive, I can still hear the noise. I took it back to the shop and they told me that timing belt was OK and the noise might be coming from A/C compressor even when the A/C is off. I'd truly appreciate for any ideas/suggestions of what may cause this noise. Thanks.

meadow

It is possible that the AC clutch bearing is making a noise (even with the ac off, the clutch is always turning). The only way to tell for sure is to remove the belt and run the engine. Or course it is always possible that they did something wrong when replacing the timing belt. Also the idle control valve (IAC) should not cause the issue while turning. You would actually notice a problem when shifting from park to drive, or reverse.