Question About 1jz

Well, I wouldn't recommend it. YOu'll have some major electric conversions to make, otherwise it would fit under the hood. I believe the transfer cases are different as well. A turbo from F-max or Toyomoto will do the job, if you're interested in more power. Otherwise, 2jzGTE w/vvti or 2jzGTTE-93Supra TT would also give you some spunk to your car.

JDM will not be cheaper - make no mistake. A 1jz will bolt in. You may have an oil pan clearance issue due to left hand vs. right hand drive. So a USDM oil pan will be needed or the cross member can be modified/swapped out. A new wiring harness will be needed as well at a minimum. Expect it to get very expensive very fast.

the actual enginges are different in price no? which makes jdm engine cheaper than the usdm engine. the reason i say this is because i rarely see usdm 2jzgte's out there. and when i do they're more expensive than the jdm version. (smaller twins anyway, not as much potential as the usdm stock twins have.)

I hear ya Calvin. It all depends on the deal. I have come across potentially well built motors for good prices recently. Very tempting to grab one. Just depends on the deal and where you're looking. Overall, JDM stuff typically requires a little more fabrication and that translates to man hours = $$$$. Then the parts issues can be a factor, though easy to solve with enough cash. Either way. It ain't cheap.

Regardless, the jdm turbos have ceramic compressor wheels. They spool a little quicker but shatter and surge real easy too. They are limited in many places. A usdm motor is the better choice IMO in terms of cost and potential.

I am working the the 1JZ swap now. We went with a clip, since you get the crossmemeber that someone was talking about. However the engine going in is not the problem, the problem is dealing with the wiring, especially if you are going manual. My car is a manual, but the clips out there are mostly automatic. That was the biggest pain. I will let you all know when it is done.

Has anyone ever thought about just going with a 2JZ-GTE head instead of the entire block? I could get a head/turbo setup SO much cheaper than I could a full long block. I don't know if that's the only difference between the GE and the GTE, I'd be interested if someone knows that.

What is the real thing? That's a matter of personal preference. We all have our idea of the perfect set-up. We could probably actively discuss it all day long. Nothing wrong with the 1jz. Like Masubi said - electrical conundrum. But doable. Same deal with gte head and turbos, need the computer too. That's why I say, slap a turbo on your current set up and drop both those motor swaps off the line. A little more $ will have those motor swaps running faster but then again, a little more clam on the ge will have it running again faster. There's more than one way to skin a cat, probably two good ways, 3 okay ways, and gagillion ways to get it fubared.