Is Changing The Fuel Filter Necessary?

immax01

I took off the air filter housing, and just stared at the fuel filter for a while... For the life of me i cant understand how to remove the bottom end of the filter. I read that its pretty hard to take the fuel filters off on the 95 es300 but cmon now, Ive never given up on a car diy challenge but this piece of work might have to be handed off to a shop if its really necessary to replace.

The car has 150k miles, i bought it 4 years ago at 100k miles and i've been taking care of it, trying to extend the life of the car, so this fuel filter which is original, does it have to be changed? I have searched and read that some people say yes of course, its a filter, it needs to be changed, and some say, no they dont clog up or go bad. Thanks!

fuel filter should be changed

you might need a flare-nut wrench for this job. it's a 5-sided wrench to give you a better grip.

Yes, by all means get the correct size flare nut wrench before even trying to loosen the fitting. And make sure the engine is cold. The line will be under pressure, a small amount of gas will squirt out, as long as the engine is cold you should be fine.

I recently replaced the original fuel filter on my 2001 ES300 at 101,000 miles. By all means, use a flare nut wrench; as I recall, mine needed a 14 mm. If you try an open end, you'll round the corners on the fuel line fitting and then it's all over. The difficulty on mine was the bottom fitting was extremely tight. I wore mechanics gloves and wrapped the wrench in a couple of shop towels for more padding. I decided to change mine because a partially clogged filter can cause additional load on the fuel pump which costs substantially more than a fuel filter.