1992 Es 300 "cash For Clunkers"

Anovice

I apologize if this topic was covered before.

Does anyone know if a 1992 Es 300 with automatic transmission qualifies for the Cash For Clunkers' program?

The reason I ask is because Edmund's does not have it listed as qualifying.

http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clunkers/e...e-vehicles.html

But yet "CARS" does have it qualifying.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/CarsResult1...n=1&id=8902

I also see that "CARS" indicates the 1992 Es 300 with manual transmission does NOT qualify

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/!Removed!/CarsResult1...n=1&id=8903

What I am starting to think is Edmund's has not differentiated between the automatic and manual transmission.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Anovice

Well, tomorrow is the big day and I am sad already :cries:

I cleaned out the car today and even came across the original sticker and bill of sale. I am have a difficult time throwing them out. And, then there is the "1992 Lexus Owner's Manual", 1992 Lexus Owner's Guide" and "Owner's Guide Supplement", all in absolutely perfect condition. Even the black leather case housing these manuals looks like it never has been touched and inside I found a green colored tag saying "Genuine Leather", with cleaning instructions in English, French and Japanese.

I should try auctioning this on ebay ;)

It was really no clunker to me either. These were the circumstances.

While I took good care of the car since 1992 and it only has 150,000 miles, it was getting tired. Many small issues like the radio did not work, the dashboard lights were completely out, constant issues with the ABS (maybe not so small), the leather seats were not in good shape and so on. Then there was the bigger issue of bad oil leaks. I was loosing about a quart of oil per month, it was messy and every time I would stop at a light the oil leaking from the valve cover (and other places) would drip on the engine and burn off, creating a bunch of smoke coming from under the hood. At each stop sign or stop light it looked like my car was over heating.

I gather I could have spend + - $1,800 and had the gaskets replaced or better yet purchased a used engine, but I still had the other issues and with a 17 year old car with 150,000 miles, certainly more to come.

Then, I have a friend who owns a Honda dealership who offered me a 2009 brand new V-6 Accord, fully loaded, leather, sunroof, dual temperature controls and so on, for a bit under $25,000. And with the C.A.R.S program, another $3,500 off.

So if it were not for all these circumstances combined, I would not have done this and instead put some money into the ES 300.