Lemon Laundering

sterlin007

What happens when Lexus buys back, dealer assists, or any other way they have about making a customer happy..what happens to those vehicles? I think I bought one that they knew had a problem, and not only did they not disclose it they acted like they had never heard of it before even though a TSB had been issued months before.

I hope you get this reply. I was on the lemon law site and I saw something about a car that has been repurchased HAS to keep a sticker on it with that information on it. Check it out. I know of a car that was repurchased last week. I will be anxious to see what happens with that. I wonder if we can follow up with it somehow. Can you look it up somehow by vin number? Isn't the vin registered with the department of motor vehicle when a vehicle is registered? I would definately check it out! Repurchases must be disclosed!!!!!

• 4 months later...

he is correct the dealer must disclose its a buy back now here is a tricky point they some times do this before the vehicle is termed a lemon ( 3 trys to fix and still not done) so then it is not considered a lemon! so yo have to be careful with the questions; now dont get upset if it is not lexus has a great warranty and shold fix all the problems. the bump at stops is a simple drive shaft problem not sure what else is wrong with your vehicle good luck! oh the reason I know about the lemon law stuff i had a big problem with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which i got repurchased for a lemon.

I just had my Touareg repurchased by VW and you can read the whole story at http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1430528 . One thing to note is that despite the fact that my Touareg had been in the shop 4 times to fix the transmission, the offer letter I received from VW stated that they were not admitting any liability or obligation to repurchase the vehicle. I in interpret this statement to mean that they were not buying back the car under the terms of the CA lemon law, but merely as a goodwill gesture. If this is the case, they would be able to sell the car as a straight used car. I have no idea if Lexus does the same thing.

• 3 years later...
What happens when Lexus buys back, dealer assists, or any other way they have about making a customer happy..what happens to those vehicles? I think I bought one that they knew had a problem, and not only did they not disclose it they acted like they had never heard of it before even though a TSB had been issued months before.

I just bought one of those without knowing it was a buyback.

Lexus fixed the driveshaft and then take the cars to auctions and dealers from out of state buys them and sells them in states that do not required to brand the title..

So the car is clean in the title , but branded in the carfax..

:chairshot:

• 1 month later...

I just bought an '03 GX470 (63k miles) that per Car Fax had a "Lemmon" alert.

I found out that the GX had the transfer case replaced a couple of times. But talking to my friend who is a mechanic, and who used to be a tech at Lexus, indicated that now that the transfer case/transission has been replaced, it should not be an issue. I took the GX to him before buying it and he checked out the GX really good and found nothing wrong.

The indepedent dealer from where I bought the GX (came from Cali to Dallas where the dealer bought it at an auction online) told me that Lexus provides a year warranty for the next person that buys the vehicle. He gave me the letter that Lexus provided him when he purchased the GX.

So far so good, hopefully everything is resolved, but I am pretty sure as when I was looking at the laundry list of items that were fixed, mostly minor and cosmetic, Lexus did a lot of inspecting to make sure that the first owner was happy. But apparently the owner wasn't and took it back.

Who knows, maybe the first owner was really picky, and Lexus decided to just buy it back.

Horacio

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Volvo XC90 which I bought used from Carmax and subsequently blew a headgasket less than 4000miles into my ownership (had 50k+ on the odo). After 4 total visits for the fiasco, they decided to buy it back for the exact amount I paid for 8 months back.

I counted my blessings and by a stroke of luck they had a 2003 GX470 on the lot that was previous a Lexus CPO vehicle (documents were in the glovebox) so I jumped at it on the same day they took the Volvo back. :)

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes: They jack the speedos back and sell them at the big December To Remember sale lol!! :P :P :P

I just bought an '03 GX470 (63k miles) that per Car Fax had a "Lemmon" alert.

I found out that the GX had the transfer case replaced a couple of times. But talking to my friend who is a mechanic, and who used to be a tech at Lexus, indicated that now that the transfer case/transission has been replaced, it should not be an issue. I took the GX to him before buying it and he checked out the GX really good and found nothing wrong.

The indepedent dealer from where I bought the GX (came from Cali to Dallas where the dealer bought it at an auction online) told me that Lexus provides a year warranty for the next person that buys the vehicle. He gave me the letter that Lexus provided him when he purchased the GX.

So far so good, hopefully everything is resolved, but I am pretty sure as when I was looking at the laundry list of items that were fixed, mostly minor and cosmetic, Lexus did a lot of inspecting to make sure that the first owner was happy. But apparently the owner wasn't and took it back.

Who knows, maybe the first owner was really picky, and Lexus decided to just buy it back.

Horacio