Specially-glazed Glass And Oem Replacments

mckellyb

Thanks to a local thief/loser, we had to replace the RR door glass. This vehicle, being an '02, has the truly neat glazed glass which sheds water like it has Vision Blade on it, but five times better.

However, the new glass in the door doesn't have the water beading up/running off like the rest of the windows, so I'm curious...for those of you with this specially glazed glass...have you had difficulty in getting the correct glass installed? Also, if not, did you have to make perfectly clear you expected the correct year model's glass be used in order to ensure you didn't get an earlier year's glass, without said glazing.

Oh, and if you know how this glazing is done, wouldja let me know??? The curiousity is *killing* me. I really want it on all my vehicles, but I'd bet it isn't something you can do, afterward.

Thanks!

Yep...well, it says so on the window 'imprint'. However, the 'new' glass has a different label than does the one on the driver's side. It *is* similar to the one on the front window, however. I recall the LR glass being labeled 'Nippon', whereas the new RR glass is 'Toyota'. I'll call the shop, tomorrow to ask what's up, and look at it more closely, that's for sure!

Just a holiday update. The repair shop claims there is only one replacement part for this window, ignoring the change in there now being glass which has been treated in a sol-gel process during which a thin film is applied to it.

I know more about it than the average bear, at this point. It might even be available, in the future, as a spray-on thing for existing glass. I'm all for *that*.

Anyway, Lexus's headquarters are closed for the federal holiday, so I'll call back tomorrow.

According to the Lexus customer service folks, the 2002 RX300, while normally having only the front doors equipped with this water-shedding, ultra-bitchin' glass, *could* be equipped with all the glass being treated with this glazing. However, they need the VIN, which I don't have handy.

I suggest if you have a 2001 or later RX, check the front door glass as compared to the rear door glass. You should see a difference in the way water behaves on it, but if not, you have lucked out, it seems, as the person who ordered it went whole hog on the glazing stuff.

I've found the moonroof and outside mirrors appear to have this glazing on them, too, but I'll have to experiment to be 100% certain.

I believe the glass is impregnated with silicon or silica (I cannot remember which). I read a report in an industrial periodical. It certainly is more than a "glaze". It really works great.

Yeah, the glass is coated with a substance as it goes from a gel to a solid, though, I contend glass is just a *really* viscous liquid. :P

In old buildings, like in Europe, windows are thicker at the bottom than the top, as gravity never lets up.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but i had this same problem when i had the LR glass replaced.

When it first rained i noticed that the water beaded up differently than all the other glass did. After a coat of wax it was fine. It rained yesterday and it still looks normal.

Just did a search of inventory. I have 4 right rear door glass's out of 2002 RX300's.

Over the counter I have been selling them for $100.00. No idea what the cost of new replacement costs.

If you still need one, I'd sell it to anyone at the site for $80.00.

It is oem, that I can tell you for sure based on the lables on it compared to the rest of the glass.

I don't know how to tell if it is the impregnated glass or not though???? (I suppose I could spray it with a hose and see)??

Is anyone aware of a problem on the back windows where the mirror effect appears to have been scractched in all different directions. Other windows are fine just rear driver windows. Looks like fine fiber glass up close. Short peices going here and there in all directions.

? any ideas. Never taken to a car wash.

jay

Is anyone aware of a problem on the back windows where the mirror effect appears to have been scractched in all different directions. Other windows are fine just rear driver windows. Looks like fine fiber glass up close. Short peices going here and there in all directions.

jay

does it look like it was maybe scratched on the inside?? Like if someone took a razor blade to the inside of the glass? Try to feel it with your nails.

This was why i replaced the glass to begin with! Dealer told me it was scratched when they removed the sticker on the window (possibly with a razor blade). They replaced it no charge. I bought the car CPO.

jay

Checked if scratches were on inside or outside. You can feel them with your nail on the outside.

jay