Cash For Clunkers

93LSOwner

They are much nicer than the Corolla; the Corolla is much cheaper though (I've seen LEs on ebay for $14k, probably not that cheap anymore with the CARS program.).

A brand new one?

That's too bad about the Altima. They are nice, but I've never heard a good thing about a Nissan dealer. What kind of mileage are you seeing on the highway (75-80mph with the ac on)?

I only drove it 18 miles as of yet. It has been in the garage since I got it. I'm on vacation. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, let's see...the gov't decides what cars are clunkers and entices people to trade them in so that they can be destroyed.

After all, these clunkers are a burden on society. <_<

Nobody is saying they are a burden on society, but you can't argue that from an environmental standpoint we're not better off with more efficient cars on the road.

Now, can we draw any analogies to gov't run health care? Can Cyanide4Seniors be far away? :o

Well seniors can't afford cyanide now...they work at the grocery store when they're 85 just to be able to pay for blood thinners. It'll be an upgrade.

What i'm saying is going out and buying a new car when you don't really need it is just foolish.

Thats your opinion.

I'm aware its my opinion, whose else's would it be? Not a very smart idea for the majority of working Americans in this economy. Feel free to disagree.

So you'd prefer...communism? This is how the economy works my friend.

Being careful with your finances is not communism. If more people were like that, we won't be in a crisis. There is a middle ground you know.

Many of us for instance can afford to buy cars outright without loans by the way...so our decision making rubrics are a little different from youts.

Good for you, most of us are not rich like you.

Thats how the world works.

Not my world. I'm keeping my car till it croaks. Destroying a good running vehicle when there are families in poverty needing cars to get to jobs goes against my common sense.

Cheers

ps: See my previous posts regarding your other points.

Well my friend, I think you've got a bad case of "If its not right for me, it shouldn't be right for anybody else".

You're not an American anyways...its our problem not yours. The program works...

The government can't decide for people whether a purchase decision is right for them or not. Banking restrictions are much tighter keeping people from getting loans when they aren't creditworthy, the government is providing this incentive to people that gets the economy moving and helps people get into vehicles that are safer and more reliable. Its up to individual people to decide whether they can make a purchase or not. You are operating on the assumption that anyone who buys something in this economy is foolish and impoverished and thats just not the case. In fact, buying things you need in this economy if you are stable and secure is one of the smartest decisions someone can make. Even luxury items you want and don't need...boats...planes...etc are much cheaper in this economy.

I guess since everybody has put their 2 cents in I might as well too....

I think for the people who chose to take advantage of the program it is great, get out of a old, un-efficient car and into a nice new one at a good price and can get an incredible price for their old rust bucket.

However it is sad that good working cars get thrown away, some cars aren't even 10 years old and have plenty of life in them. The other problem is what's going to happen when this program is over? The automakers will go back to the same position they are now, this is just a temporary blip in sales. They are bringing all these people back to work to build the in demand cars but once it's all over I'm almost positive they'll all get laid-off again. Another thing I don't like is that they take my tax dollars and give it to people to buy cars with but when I'm ready to buy I won't get anything because I bought a fuel efficient car from the beginning!

Well, I pulled the trigger. 11 Grand for a Nissan Sentra that gets 29 mpg. Little cracker box. Totally loaded. Hated to lose the 94LS, but the A/C broke again, and God knows what else was out there waiting to happen. Since I'm retired, my longest drive is 47 miles to Arizona for lottery tickets.

$2,000 incentive plus Clunker cash equaled $6,500 off. Total was $11,300.

Thanks especially to all members and especially NC211. NC's advice about throwing money into a relic was spot on.

But I'm gonna' miss Old Lucy94. Wish I had a wife as faithful.

I guess since everybody has put their 2 cents in I might as well too....

I think for the people who chose to take advantage of the program it is great, get out of a old, un-efficient car and into a nice new one at a good price and can get an incredible price for their old rust bucket.

However it is sad that good working cars get thrown away, some cars aren't even 10 years old and have plenty of life in them. The other problem is what's going to happen when this program is over? The automakers will go back to the same position they are now, this is just a temporary blip in sales. They are bringing all these people back to work to build the in demand cars but once it's all over I'm almost positive they'll all get laid-off again. Another thing I don't like is that they take my tax dollars and give it to people to buy cars with but when I'm ready to buy I won't get anything because I bought a fuel efficient car from the beginning!

Being in a family of auto workers it's along these lines that the CARS bill really concerns me. I think we might be in a situation where this is a sales bubble and interferes with supply chains in both new cars, used car parts, charity and used vehicle stocks. I think the bill has been successful in the aspect that yes it's moved money through the system and gotten people looking at cars again. It's environmental 'benefits' are... well... probably non-existent; esp. if you think about losing all the manufacturing equity that went into making the car in the first place.

Everyone here is making valid points about whether or not the bill is right for them and ultimately it's up to the person involved to spend the money. To add to my 2 cents, I really wanted to capitalize on this deal. I really did. However I came to the conclusion that the best car for me is the one that isn't costing me monthly and I'd be better off squeezing the last little bit of equity out of my car esp. with the $ for work I've sunk into it. If CARS happened BEFORE my I spent $ on fixing my control arms and power pump, well then, yeah - the LS would have been gone. It got a pretty good bill of health after my last trip to Lexus, so I'm in fairly good shape. I could clear a car payment but I'm enjoying my life a lot more NOT doing so. I'll keep kicking my credit balances in the face, grab a new guitar amp I've had my eye on (my current rig for touring is the amp equivalent of a clunker) and get something next year. If my LS400 gives up the ghost before I'm ready I'll walk to work or get a Wyoming beater in the interim.

Well my friend, I think you've got a bad case of "If its not right for me, it shouldn't be right for anybody else".

You're not an American anyways...its our problem not yours. The program works...

You are right Sir, what was I thinking?

Well, I pulled the trigger. 11 Grand for a Nissan Sentra that gets 29 mpg. Little cracker box. Totally loaded. Hated to lose the 94LS, but the A/C broke again, and God knows what else was out there waiting to happen. Since I'm retired, my longest drive is 47 miles to Arizona for lottery tickets.

$2,000 incentive plus Clunker cash equaled $6,500 off. Total was $11,300.

Thanks especially to all members and especially NC211. NC's advice about throwing money into a relic was spot on.

But I'm gonna' miss Old Lucy94. Wish I had a wife as faithful.

Congrats, what was the MSRP for the Sentra?

How much did you pay for your LS?

I paid $6k five years ago with 144k on the engine.

A brand new one?

I only drove it 18 miles as of yet. It has been in the garage since I got it. I'm on vacation. :)

Yep, brand new. I thought that was a really low price, and then, I sat in one, and the price seemed commensurate with the crappy interior. I'd definitely pay the extra $ for the Civic's higher quality and bigger interior. Let us know how it does with mpg (my LS is supposed to get 23mpg on the hwy, what a joke. it gets 27 on a bad day.). I don't know how you could buy a car and go out of town. I guess it will make coming home a bit easier knowing there's a brand new car waiting for you!

Yep, brand new.

Good'ol eBay!

After driving the LS for five years, the economical interior of the Civic became apparent. Then again it does retail for only $19k. In retrospect, for the money I could have purchased a used LS430 and kept my old car as well. But I learned my lesson in high school by buying someone’s old used clunker.

You are right Sir, what was I thinking?

I have no problem debating with you about benefits of the program. But your arguments are flawed due to the fact that you do not even know a single detail about how the program works.

Nobody is saying they are a burden on society, but you can't argue that from an environmental standpoint we're not better off with more efficient cars on the road.

No, they are just being crushed for the fun of it. By your own logic you admit that the environment will be better off. There is an implicit burden... on

our environment, on global warming, oil prices, etc., and ultimately upon our society.

And yes, I can make an argument that the environment is not necessarily better off with a more efficient(ie: MPG) car. There is an environmental

cost(footprint) to produce the new car in the first place and it is not insignificant. It takes a lot of BTU's to produce new glass, metal, plastic, etc.

Depending upon how many miles are driven in the new car and the MPG difference, it could take years to make up the difference, if ever.

Not to mention scrapping all of those perfectly good, used cars. More energy used to separate and process the shredded junk and throwing the rest in the landfill, there to rot for decades to come.

Actually, the so-called "clunkers" are not as much of a burden as the whole CFC program is on the US taxpayer... an astounding $3 BILLION! Who's gonna pay that bill? Oh, its you and me (and probably my children and grandchildren). Selfish I know, but I do not like paying for other people's new cars.

but I do not like paying for other people's new cars.

I guess I have re-post this link:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/i...etting-bailout/

my LS is supposed to get 23mpg on the hwy, what a joke. it gets 27 on a bad day.

Did you modify your car? or did EPA dropped the ball on this one?.......27 on a bad day!

No, they are just being crushed for the fun of it. By your own logic you admit that the environment will be better off. There is an implicit burden... on

our environment, on global warming, oil prices, etc., and ultimately upon our society.

And yes, I can make an argument that the environment is not necessarily better off with a more efficient(ie: MPG) car. There is an environmental

cost(footprint) to produce the new car in the first place and it is not insignificant. It takes a lot of BTU's to produce new glass, metal, plastic, etc.

Depending upon how many miles are driven in the new car and the MPG difference, it could take years to make up the difference, if ever.

Not to mention scrapping all of those perfectly good, used cars. More energy used to separate and process the shredded junk and throwing the rest in the landfill, there to rot for decades to come.

Actually, the so-called "clunkers" are not as much of a burden as the whole CFC program is on the US taxpayer... an astounding $3 BILLION! Who's gonna pay that bill? Oh, its you and me (and probably my children and grandchildren). Selfish I know, but I do not like paying for other people's new cars.

but I do not like paying for other people's new cars.

I guess I have re-post this link:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/i...etting-bailout/

my LS is supposed to get 23mpg on the hwy, what a joke. it gets 27 on a bad day.

Did you modify your car? or did EPA dropped the ball on this one?.......27 on a bad day!

20070723corecompetency.jpg

Nope, she's all stock. I drive the car a lot, and it gets maintained a lot. It runs really well. I have my tires pumped up a little since I hate that mushy feel of tires at 29psi, but I seriously doubt that makes for a huge difference when most gen2.5s get mileage like I do. I didn't have a problem beating the old EPA of 25mpg hwy, so the new numbers are comical to me. I've got the cruise set 10 or more over the 70mph limit with the a/c blasting while traversing rolling hills--definitely not hypermiling it, but I do LOVE cruise control. In the winter when the a/c is off, it's not hard to get over 30mpg.
Yep, brand new.

Good'ol eBay!

After driving the LS for five years, the economical interior of the Civic became apparent. Then again it does retail for only $19k. In retrospect, for the money I could have purchased a used LS430 and kept my old car as well. But I learned my lesson in high school by buying someone's old used clunker.

I think for the price point, the Civic's interior is excellent. And, it becomes even more apparent when you compare it to its competition. I can't wait for the 460s to come down to $25k. I've seen some online for $40k (with less than 40k miles), so it shouldn't be too much longer! There was a dealer in GA that used to regularly post Civics on ebay for about $1,200 off sticker, but when I just looked, I didn't see any of his listings...I'm sure he doesn't need any help selling Hondas when fuel efficiency is at the top of the list.

I love the grey you picked. Now it's time to tint the windows, and it will look even better! B)

I'd rather spend $3Billion that helps than throw $50 Billion at them in a bailout that didn't do anything to help them. This is stimulus that works...

You're not paying for people's new cars...you're paying for stimulus in an effort to get our economy moving again...and its working.

I paid $5,100 for my 94 LS 5 years ago. But I also traded in a Honda beater with it. So it's hard to tell what I really paid. The Lexus only had 97,000 miles, but within a year, it was water pump/timing belt time. $1,300. Yes, too much, but all the wheely dealies on the timing belt needed to be changed, plus the main crankshaft bolt wouldn't come out. So it was a cluster****. Took 2 weeks to get it back.

So then the A/C broke last summer. I live in Vegas. So not good. I recharged the R134A, and it worked until a few weeks ago. I recharged it again, but no luck this time. So I thought "Robert, you know the P/S pump and the alternator are next. Whatcha' gonna do?" A grand or 2 for the A/C, and then P/S time?

So I traded the 94LS in on the new Sentra, 29 mpg total, 34 highway. With the $2,000 incentive plus the $4,500 Clunker, the total was $12,300. Sales tax and doc fees and all the other BS brought it to around $14,000. And yes, I have a cheaper car. But what I noticed is that they must have really improved the suspensions on these new cars. My other car, a 2005 Mazda MX-5 turbo convertible, will rattle your teeth riding over bumps. The Sentra is much smoother than I expected. Not a Lexus, but it's nice enough.

BTW-Clunkers ends in 3 days. So I am a lucky boy. Best of luck, Lexus owners. This is the best forum on the Internet. I will miss it.

I'm sure he doesn't need any help selling Hondas when fuel efficiency is at the top of the list.

I love the grey you picked. Now it's time to tint the windows, and it will look even better!

Thanks, it needs tint and wheels.

The local dealers have quiet a few Civic EX, Si and hybrids, but not too many LX models, if any. In its class, the Civic is towards the higher end in price and for the money of an EX, you can just get a larger Accord LX.

What's your MPG in city with the LS?

Thanks, it needs tint and wheels.

The local dealers have quiet a few Civic EX, Si and hybrids, but not too many LX models, if any. In its class, the Civic is towards the higher end in price and for the money of an EX, you can just get a larger Accord LX.

What's your MPG in city with the LS?

I live in a small town, so my city trips are very short (5-7 minutes) -- gives me about 13-14 mpg. I love the rims on the LX-S. B)

so my city trips are very short (5-7 minutes) -- gives me about 13-14 mpg. I love the rims on the LX-S. B)

Lead food?

What are you talking about man! those are plastic hubcaps :P , or are you referring to what I should put on them?

I'd rather spend $3Billion that helps than throw $50 Billion at them in a bailout that didn't do anything to help them. This is stimulus that works...

You're not paying for people's new cars...you're paying for stimulus in an effort to get our economy moving again...and its working.

Yeah, I agree. I would rather have limited the damage to $3B than $53B. I guess what really burns my butt is that they(govt) are destroying some good cars.

Being an avid mechanic type, I cant stand the thought of putting something in the crankcase to deliberately seize the engine..gives me the willies :(

Oh well, the govt can just print more money and we will be fine. ;)

It seems the general concensus here is that the CARS program is not a good idea, and while I do not care for many aspects of it, if someone was going to purchase a new car ANYWAY regardless of the program being in place, it is a good thing to utilize as they will recieve more for their trade-in. However, this act has brought about many people buying new cars in a case that they wouldn't have had CARS program not exsisted. This has bad, as well as good traits. Eithwer way its a personal opinion, it brought up sales and I don't have a better idea. Good buy sir. Your car was junk and you got a good deal for it.