A/c Woes

lex4me

My 91 has, for three years in a row now, had A/C issues each Spring. The first time, I took it to a local shop for the diag and repair. They said they fixed it, but then two months later I was back in the same boat. Then I went to the dealer. Entirely too much money later, I had a new compressor and working A/C. I had asked for the retrofit to R134A, but the dealer didn't do it. When I went to pick up the car, it was still R12, but working. I should have not accepted that, but foolishly did. The next spring, there I was, dead again. Another dealer visit and the diag was the receiver/dryer. That replacement kept me working for that season, but was expensive given the R12 cost. The next season, there I was, dead AGAIN. This is getting tiring and ridiculously expensive.

Warranty? At any point during all of this, did anyone put dye into the system to see if there were any leaks? It's obvious there is a slow leak somewhere that hasn't been diagnosed yet. Either a very small hole in a tube/pipe or bad o-ring/seal but hopefully not in the evaporator.

My 90 had a hole in a pipe located under the foam insulation making it hard to find.

Get dye into the system and UV light to see where it's coming out.

In 2004, my A/C went out. I took it to a thief indie who later went out of business. He wanted $1,200 to replace the compressor and the evaporator. I agreed, but on the way home, I noticed that the A/C was working perfectly. Seems his mechanic simply reattached something to do with the doors that open and shut. So it cost me $200 total.

Four years later, the A/C suddenly stopped working again. The light on the dash was blinking. Checking with this forum, it would seem the compressor stopped working, prob from a leak. It was in the fall, and the heat had finally gone away here in Vegas. So I went to Pep Boys, and bought a filler doobie with gauge, and 2 cans of R-134A. I filled up the A/C, but it only took one can. It was the leak stop refrigerant. Then I did nothing for over 6 months. Never tested it, just let it sit. Come late May, it was time to test it. Voila! It's working great, over 2-1/2 months now. It will blow you out of the car. My point is that if I had to pay thousands to fix the A/C, the car would be in the Cash for Clunkers program. It qualifies at 18 mpg. But no, even if it breaks again, I'll just fill it up again. 5 bucks a can at Wally World. Give it a try...