Brake Pads On A 91 Ls400

91ls400

I have noticed recently that my car's brakes are stuttering and sometimes squealing. I need new brake pads! There is a Toyota dealer in town. Is there any disadvantage to having it done at the Toyota dealer over the Lexus shop? Do both dealers use the same materials? About how much should I expect this to cost me at Toyota?

I wouldn't hesitate going to Toyota. Pads cost around $55. All I know is the total price would be 30% (at least) than Lexus.

They are an easy part to DIY........would you consider this?

VBDenny has a thread on this somewhere.........

Trouble is... you very well may need your rotors machined or replaced also.

Had mine done at the dealer about 3 years ago. They do not turn the rotors, they cross hash if they are not warped, this just smooths the surface. It may be worth it to ask for this to be done. The job itself to change the pads it not tough, they do not need to remove the caliper so there is no bleeding to be done.

It took them about 1.5 hours and was only $250. Yes, that was front and rear.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a 91 LS400. I recently replaced the front brakes on my car.

The only problem I had was reinstalling the anti-vibration spring clips on the

back of the pads. What a pain in the ---! :censored:

I don't know if the dealer has a tool for this but if you try to hold this assy together and install it, it will literally drive you to drink! :cheers:

Good Luck

I personally do things myself, ever since i figured out how to do it.

If you're considering DIY, I can walk you through the procedure. If you're not, I would recommend buying the parts from Lexus or an OEM distributor, and having an Aftermarket Retailer/Tunershops to install them. They are the cheapest, and most tunershops hire good mechanics who know what they're doing.

I took mine to a local shop and I am satisfied. They used the ceramic pads and there is no squealing or stuttering.

A side note: The keyfob or the car’s system, one or the other, is not working so I have to use the key to enter my LS400. I took it to a Toyota dealer and they happily took down the notes about the issues I was having. They called about 6 hours later and said I needed to pickup the car. They handed me a bill for $75, a diagnosis charge, and the keys. I said, “So is she fixed”. The guy behind the counter said, “No we cannot work on the electrical systems on the Lexus because we don’t have the schematics”. I was flabbergasted and asked why he thought it was ethical to charge me for something that they knew they could not fix in the first place. They guy of course was a paid grunt that didn’t have a clue. I HATE TOYOTA DEALERS……if you want to go to a dealer only go to Lexus.

It took them about 1.5 hours and was only $250. Yes, that was front and rear.

Joe

The Lexus dealer? A gas station would charge you more than that! Don't anyone expect to get similar pricing from their dealer...

My Lexus dealer charges that to do an oil change and a tire rotation.

I had a brake job done at Lexus once.... $1000 or so.

They said it was their policy to always replace rotors.

how was that? was that fun for your butt?

if they've been resurfaced to the point that they're paper thin...then yes, replace them. but they're not as disposable as pads.

Even the Pepboys Service Manager refused to turn a set of Toyota Rotors. He claimed that if you resurface it, it takes away from the functionality of the rotor.

A while back, I saw this infomertial about rotor cleaners, and I wonder if it's still out there.

Z: your reply was interesting--didn't know AC Delco, Raybestos, Wagner, etc made parts for the Lexus--can you believe Raybestos making rotors and Delco & Wagner making Calipers--wild---and at unheard-of low prices--hard for me to believe. :huh:

once I figured out the URL: http://www.rockauto.com/

I will have to look at this site some more !!!!!

Z: your reply was interesting--didn't know AC Delco, Raybestos, Wagner, etc made parts for the Lexus--can you believe Raybestos making rotors and Delco & Wagner making Calipers--wild---and at unheard-of low prices--hard for me to believe.  :huh:

once I figured out the URL:  http://www.rockauto.com/

I will have to look at this site some more !!!!!

Yeah, did you know that Toyota and GM are in bed with eachother? Many auto makers are doing that.

In fact when I was researching about the brakes on the my LS, I found out the LS400s share parts with Buick, Nissan, and the Toyota Supra. Also, the Ls400's chassis is similar to the buick regal and the chevy Lumina. That one took me by surprise. :lol:

Every Lexus dealer I've ever dealt with refuses to turn rotors too...

Which dealer is that? You don't replace rotors when replacing brake pads. If your rotors under the spec, yes you will need to replace them. Otherwise, Turning the rotors are OK on lexus.

JPI

Unless you notice a problem with the rotors, I wouldn't touch them. By some new Lexus pads. Don't use anything else. It is a very easy job, even the springs and vibration clips aren't all that hard. If you need help, email me and I'll send you a PDF file with pictures that show how.