Deal Wants Me To Replace Rear Brakes @ 40% To Save Sensors

docmas

Just got back from the dealer (I do go sometimes, this was a "check engine light" thing) and he told me my rear brake pads were at about 40% and "down to the sensors." He suggested replacing them now, as the sensors cost over $100 each to replace if they become activated. Brakes are cheap compared to that (at non-dealer) and just wanted some input, as replacing brakes at 40% just seems wrong to me. What do other people do about this? Had the brakes replaced in October 2007, 64,800, drive less than 1000 miles/month, I'm at 78,600 now.

Thanks,

Adam

2002 LS430

I just replaced the brakes on my Ls430 several weeks ago for the same reason, was told by the service dept that I was ready to wear out the sensors but lots of pad left at 35,000 miles and still the original pads. I replaced them anyway and tied off the sensors so I can get full usage from the new pads. Some folks here will not agree but if you keep an eye on them I don't forsee any problems. You can easily get the sensors off and tie them off but that is not what the manual instructs so you are doing that at your own risk.

I bought the pads for about $100 plus caliper bolts but after inspecting the rotors decided they did not need to be turned so still have the bolts. I just burnished the rotors to remove the glaze and it's stopping as good as new. I'm not much of a mechanic but the whole process only took about 2-3 hrs with a friend who is a little more savvy.

When 40% of the pads are left on the rear brakes of my 2000 LS400, they are not even closing to being down to the wear sensor. I doubt if yours are either.

I consider the people at the repair shop I've used for my Lexus cars for 12-13 years honest, but I was told when my front pads had to be replaced at about 71,000 (wear sensor caused the brake pad message in the instrument cluster display) that my rear pads would need replacement within another five or ten thousand miles -- i.e. by about 80,000 miles.

My car is now at 113,000 miles and I think the rear pads will not hit the sensor by the time the car is ready for its 120,000 mile service -- I plan to have the rear pads changed then.

Brake pad thickness is easy to check by the "eyeball method". I check the pad thickness every 5,000 miles when I rotate the tires.

BTW, parts.com has the rear pad wear sensor for the 02 LS430 for $61.56.

This pad sensor scheme is over engineering at its finest. Its simple enough to check pads when having a minor service done. Who needs the extra complexity and cost for a feature of little value. Cars have worked fine for almost 100 years without electronic pad sensors.

Perhaps some planned obsolescence in effect here. If one of my sensors goes I'll just solder wires together and encapsulate it in RTV silicone and tie it out of the way.

Imagine that changing pads after only 60% of life to save the very sensor which is to tell you when to change the pads. I can just picture Yogi berry chiming in on this this "yeah my mechanic says to change da pads so they don't trigger the sensor that tells you when to change da pads...." Oh brother!!!

2-3 years back, I had the front brake pads replaced during an oil change at Lexus. At the time, they told me that I had 10-15% wear left on the rear pads. Last December, I replaced the rear brake pads when I did the timing belt change. They still had 30-40% wear left when I put them on. Was the Lexus service writer being dishonest with me, or did my brake pads magically increase in thickness, rather than decrease, over time? lol