Rx 300 Vs Ml Help Me Decide...please

rxmaybe

I have been overwhelmingly happy with my 99 e55 the past years. So, I am considering a used ML or Lexus Rx purchase. Since getting hitched, I have the need for a vehicle my other half can drive on ice and snow that wont put her on the curb when trying to stop during winter driving (like yesterday). I want to spend in the mid to high 20's for one of these vehicles with miles in the high 20's or low 30's. Or, it seems there are alot of new 03 rx 300s still available.

How do you like the RXs? Anything I should worry about in this year range. Is it worth to go into a newer 02 or 03 vs and 01? Any option advantages between 01 and 02 etc.

Also,I expect alot of you have compared to Mercedes. Any pros and cons now that you have owned you Rxs a while?

There are a crap load of off lease and trade in 00s, 01s and 02s. I just read that there is a sludge problem with some motors. So, I definately will get a build date of 07/01 or later. Any other issues I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for your responses and time.

All the best.

It sounds like you're looking at used in both cases....

Overall, I would always vote for the RX300, but if good traction is a high priority then I would yeild to the ML320. The RX is FWD, even the AWD version, 95/5, and therefore can be really dangerous on adverse roadbed conditions.

The entire Lexus series is also highly prone to sudden windshield fogging due to a design flaw in the climate control system. It can also be very discomforting in the wintertimes since it insists on switching to cooling mode on the coldest day of winter.

I still haven't experienced this foggong/switching to cooling mode on any Lexus I've ever driven, including mine, my dad's old and new LS's, and numerous loaner RX and IS models ;)

I also still dont understand how FWD is so dangerous in adverse conditions...

Anywho, looking at the two I think a drive of each will make your decision for you. The RX feels so superior and higher quality. Not to say Mercedes isn't a high quality car, it is, but the ML is not.

I have been overwhelmingly happy with my 99 e55 the past years. So, I am considering a used ML or Lexus Rx purchase. Since getting hitched, I have the need for a vehicle my other half can drive on ice and snow that wont put her on the curb when trying to stop during winter driving (like yesterday). I want to spend in the mid to high 20's for one of these vehicles with miles in the high 20's or low 30's. Or, it seems there are alot of new 03 rx 300s still available.

How do you like the RXs? Anything I should worry about in this year range. Is it worth to go into a newer 02 or 03 vs and 01? Any option advantages between 01 and 02 etc.

Also,I expect alot of you have compared to Mercedes. Any pros and cons now that you have owned you Rxs a while?

There are a crap load of off lease and trade in 00s, 01s and 02s. I just read that there is a sludge problem with some motors. So, I definately will get a build date of 07/01 or later. Any other issues I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for your responses and time.

All the best.

If you are still in the decision making process then let me chime in. I own a 2000 RX300 and my father has an ML500. I have had plenty of behind the wheel time on the ML, here are my thoughts. These are totally different vehicles. The MLs are truck based vehicles while the RX is a car based vehicle. In fact, many ML owners throw some sort of fit when they are referred to as SUVs instead of truck (call it what it want).

But from a driver's standpoint, the ML is definitely a "rougher" car with clear truck roots. The ride is choppier (not bad, just choppier). The most important distinction in my view is that the ML demands more attention to drive whereas a RX is much easier to drive. Whether or not you think the amount of driving attentiveness is driving enjoyment or a lack thereof leads to a vehicle without road connection is for you to decide.

They are both nice cars, but I would have to say that the RX has better fit and finish and the 2004 model is the way to go.

i am a mercedes nut with tons of mb stuff

but there truly is not decsion

rx = car

ml = truck

and it basicallis a matter of too warrenty or not to warrenty

the ml is a disasterous truck for defects ,look at consumer reports and there opinon alone on the ml

One ML 320 owner complained that he had been to the dealer for warranty work 60 times in 2 years. Another complained that he had ordered a Mercedes and had been delivered a Chrysler. Check the Consumers reports for reliability histories and you will see that the M series have black dots (i.e. worst reliability).

As for the RX sludge problem, this only occurs when an owner does not follow the recommended oil change intervals. I suggest you ask the dealer to look at the warranty service records of any RX you are thinking of buying. If all the oil changes have been done on schedule, it is not a problem.

I have a 2001 AWD RX300 and it is absolutely superb in snow and on slippery roads. Lexus have done a good job here and my vehicle has great traction and is stable on even the most slippery surfaces.

Do yourself a favour and get a Lexus. If you have a lot of spare time to waste and like the truck ride, then get a Mercedes.

Good place to ask, though we're all likely to be a bit biased.....

When we were shopping "SUV's", thanks to a motorcycle wreck which left both me and my wife with broken bones in the double-digits, she looked at an ML, as an '81 240D she had was essentially indestructible.

The ML was harder to get in/out of, the interior was kinda cramped feeling, and while it *is* a Merc, it seems to have a bunch of reliablility issues...especially for a Mercedes.

I think of Lexus as being built to compete with Mercedes, for less $, so they had to be better in every way.

The VSC and AWD in my wife's 2002, which was bought for $30K even, over Thanksgiving week, I've *tried* to get adverse road manners out of in the ice/snow we had week before last, and nothing. Kinda bummed me out, as it would have been fun...in theory... :P

Well, I can say I tried an ML before I purchased my 2001 RX-300, actually

tried 2 different models. Both rode well, but the suspension acted a lot more

like a truck. I wasn't looking for a truck-based SUV. Although, the ride was

decent, I felt like I was way more driving a fancy Ford or Dodge truck with the

ML. Besides, the pre-owned selection wasn't all that good, silver or silver or

silver in my case.

I enjoy my RX-300, drives well in the snow, and like Kelly said, "can't

seem to make it dance around on the ice--actually that's a GOOD thing"

PharmGuy