What Should I Keep In Mind If I Buy A 96 Sc400?

My dad knows this guy that is selling a 96 SC400 with some 120K miles for $3,000. Would that not be the best deal ever?

I've heard that these cars are built like champions. They have forged internals, right? I'd like to know of any issues that these cars could have so that I can go ahead take the necessary action beforehand.

How strong are these cars really? By that I mean how reliable they are.

I really like the design of this car. It looks gorgeous and coming from driving a 99 Accord Coupe V6 with 200 HP and 195 ft/lbs Torque, the SC400 must be hella fun to drive.

Feel free to input whatever you think is necessary for someone that's gonna get their first SC400. :D Thanks a bunch!

MarcosMarcusM, Common Problems with SC's, check this the link.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

Judging by that FAQ one could say that the car has no major issues. That's good to know, I guess.

What are other people's opinion with their own SCs?

Here's a question? How's the transmission? The 6th Generation (1998-2002) Honda Accord Automatic 4-Speed Transmissions for the V6 are NOTORIOUS. I own one and I can see why.

Other common problems are side view mirrors control unit (in the steering column, not the doors), Rear trunk hold-open cylinders, trunk mounted cd changers. The Drive train is about bullet proof. I purchased mine as a 2nd owner with 92k on it. I went ahead and had the timing belt/water pump done at 100k. I now have 130k on it and have noted only the above issues -- and they were there when I bought it. These seem to be fairly common and minor problems with the car (in addition to those noted above). My car was garage kept it's entire life and the interior was not a problem (the leather is known to have issues when it gets about 10 years old). Mine is a 1995 that saw faithful quarterly service from the original selling dealer until I purchased it. I fixed the mirrors, upgraded the cd changer, other than that I've driven and enjoyed it without issues. The clouding of the headlamps was easily addressed with the McGuire's lense polishing compound...

I wouldn't hesitate to jump in this car and take it anywhere. It's my daily driver. I think they are a great value and a wonderful car.

DSC00361.jpg

$3000 is a very fair price for any car dude. Especially for 300HP/300ft-lbs... you're keeping up with new Audi A4's in traffic. Reliability? You can't buy a road-warrior car with this reliability until about $6k to $8k.

This is the Toyota V8 with VVTI that goes into the trucks. It has the same automatic transmission for the LS400 sedan, which is bulletproof. The trick is the SC400 has a "ECT" button for sport-shift-points and turning off overdrive puts the Tach in the 3k range for performance passing. I drive a 1994, it has 280k miles, and the undercoating from the factory means there is no rust (really, seriously, there is no rust!). I get 17/23MPG driving in Mass.

We had to redo the heads at 180k and a new radiator (this was about 2003 when my wife bought the car). The coil-overs were done as well. It's a very sporty car, but with Trac on, and Michellin winter tires it is always able to move along and stop fine.

Depending on the climate, it would be a good idea to consider:

- timing belt must be done at intervals due to interference engine

- radiator may need to be replaced, they last about 10 years before getting plugged up

- you can do brakes, etc yourself if you've done DIY on other cars (search the forums for the PDF service manual)

- if the leather is beat up, you can get a new set from ebay for $400 (this is a very good deal if you can do it yourself)

- if you want to give a Corvette Z06 a run for her money, get a dragon torque converter

This is really a great car. If you wax the paint and run one of the headlight cleaner kits, people will ask you, "what kind of car is that?"

Especially the guy in the Audi when he catches up.

Have fun!

BTW I had a 1997 Chrysler Sebring and that was a disaster at 105k miles: new front end, engine work, and it blew its transmission (the cooler was fine and the correct Chrysler fluid was in).

The Japanese design all their machines for 6000 machine hours (3 shifts per calendar year btw overhauls) which is 300k miles @ 55mph. By contrast, American makes are designed for 100k miles (1 shift per calendar year / 2000 machine hours). Toyota was trying to build the Lexus brand with these cars, you'll do fine driving this until you're sick of it. As for emissions/inspection, the exhaust is stainless from the factory, and the engine was rated as a PLEV in 1999 without modification (A PLEV? It's a 300HP V8!).

One more thing:

- Buy new windshield wiper arms for this car. I replaced these for my wife, and she can see now in the rain.

- 10 year old windshield... I replaced mine, and there is much less glare from oncoming traffic at night in this low-profile car.

I own a 96 that I bought with 159000. Just regular maintance paid $5000 and I thought I got a great deal the car is worth $6200 right now.

Our car has 260hp and the engine is a non-interferance engine

Only issue's that I have which are common is

Trunk not staying open

CD changer works most of the time

Antenna works every time makes a noise when it is all of the way up sometimes

I had a code once noone can pull the codes out of the engine. Not even Toyota

Replaced the o2 sensors before the cats fixed the code issue (check engine light)

The interior on both doors has a line on the top of the door, this is normal for some sc's

back seat is in great condition, but this one was always kept inside, I have seen many top center being pulled apart

This car burns no oil

This car is unstoppable

This car gets around 24-26 mpg

This car has 183000 on it now

I love my sc

polish and waxes monthly, they do clean up really nice with some work

buy the car or I will

Why do I keep hearing the motor pulls 300HP? It's 260, not 300... Right, of course?

"This car gets around 24-26 mpg"

From a V8? That's not what I heard. I heard is was more in the 18-20 range?

Also... how fast are these cars really? When you're driving them?

Why do I keep hearing the motor pulls 300HP? It's 260, not 300... Right, of course?

I have a 1992 and it is not fast off the line, but pulls strong from 40mph to 100mph and slowly pulls less so up to a GPS verified 151mph. Unless you make some modifications, I would call it smooth luxury performance. As for fuel consumption I can get as high as 30 mpg(US) at average 60 mph for 350 miles over hilly roads. I have also seen the mid teens when driving hard. Mine is rated at 250hp.

I have a 1992 and it is not fast off the line, but pulls strong from 40mph to 100mph and slowly pulls less so up to a GPS verified 151mph. Unless you make some modifications, I would call it smooth luxury performance. As for fuel consumption I can get as high as 30 mpg(US) at average 60 mph for 350 miles over hilly roads. I have also seen the mid teens when driving hard. Mine is rated at 250hp.

WTF? You have to be kidding me... What are the factory fuel ratings for this car?

WTF? You have to be kidding me... What are the factory fuel ratings for this car?

It is way over factory ratings, but I can get that by driving very conservatively, easy on and off the gas and doing things needed to have the car use little gas. It is a bit of a feel thing. It freaked me out when I first got the car driving from Vernon BC to Fernie BC over the Rogers Pass. Not exactly the best road for fuel economy, but that is what I got and I have repeated that many times. I just did the BFI-3, and will see if there as an improvement if any. BTW my car now has 65000km and I bought it with 49000km last summer.

Dude I get on average 24-26 mpg doing around 60-65 going through 3 small towns at around 400 miles per week.

I only get on it 2-3 times per week hitting around 120-135 during this time period.

If I goto say Jacksonville doing about 70-75 120 miles there and 120 back I can get almost 28-30mpg during these trips

I check my milage every single fill up and it is very consistant.

The fastest I have ever went is around 142 smooth as ice and complete control.

you will not regret this

The 92-95 model had the 250hp engine all non-interference engines

The 96-97 I think had the 260hp engine all non-interference engines

The engines that had the vvt-i in them are the interference engines when the timing belt breaks you have serious issues

non-interference engines simply might have to replace the timing belt covers and the engine will not start.

I will confirm that milage. yesterday I got 28mpg going between 60-70, and 70 on cruise for 1/2 the 210 mile trip. If I really try at 60 mph I can get 30. I don't know if there are a few that just do better or not.

I will confirm that milage. yesterday I got 28mpg going between 60-70, and 70 on cruise for 1/2 the 210 mile trip. If I really try at 60 mph I can get 30. I don't know if there are a few that just do better or not.

Wow, that's impressive as hell.

The car does have some rather unimportant cosmetic issues, but it does have one issue that would need to be fixed very soon. According to the owner, it's an issue with the radio. He says it taps the battery in constantly and drains it even when the car is not running. How expensive could this be to fix?

ok to clear up the HP issue not 100% sure on the 92-94. im pretty sure the 92 model only had 225HP. the 95 has 250HP the 96 has 260HP and the 97-00 model has 290HP.

as far as the gas milage. you might be able to get 24-28 on the highway runnin 60-70MPH. if you can run those speeds most of the time then you will get between 18-21. the 18-21 is the cars factory fuel rating and has been confirmed with around town driving of a 95 SC400 35-55MPH. hope this helps

ok to clear up the HP issue not 100% sure on the 92-94. im pretty sure the 92 model only had 225HP. the 95 has 250HP the 96 has 260HP and the 97-00 model has 290HP.

as far as the gas milage. you might be able to get 24-28 on the highway runnin 60-70MPH. if you cant run those speeds most of the time then you will get between 18-21. the 18-21 is the cars factory fuel rating and has been confirmed with around town driving of a 95 SC400 35-55MPH. hope this helps