Park Assist Sensors - Outrageous Price To Replace

I had a small rock ding the front right sensor that is part of the Park Assist feature in my 06GS430. The dealer wants $463.82 to replace one bad sensor. They say they need to remove the entire bumper to replace it. I think the price is outrageous. Any advice on where I can get this done outside of the dealer? Has anyone had the same problem? I don't trust my dealer at all. They always say the have to allmost tear the car apart for everything.

I would think that the bumper cover will have to be removed to install a new sensor. I've seen the Lexus installation instructions for the dealer installed park assist products that Lexus dealers sell in Europe and the procedures include removing the bumper covers.

It appears that Parts.com has the front sensors for $158.46 each: http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?...r&makeid=20

You can get the part numbers for the various sensor colors at: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_2006_LEXU...ETQKA_8417.html

Judging by the retail price of the sensors ($229.20), the price the dealer quoted you for the part and installation may be typical.

$463.82 - $229.20 = $234.62. These days, $234.62 covers less than two hours of labor at a typical Lexus dealer. And, yes, sometimes quite a bit of disassembly is required to replace even simple parts -- these cars are complex.

I had a small rock ding the front right sensor that is part of the Park Assist feature in my 06GS430. The dealer wants $463.82 to replace one bad sensor. They say they need to remove the entire bumper to replace it. I think the price is outrageous. Any advice on where I can get this done outside of the dealer? Has anyone had the same problem? I don't trust my dealer at all. They always say the have to allmost tear the car apart for everything.

I'd believe it. When it costs $60 for an oil change, and over $100 to get my runflats put back on my only set of shoes, $463 and some change to replace one sensor...you should feel lucky the quote was so low.

But honestly, I'd buy the sensor and do it myself...if I had parking sensors :whistles:

• 11 months later...

Hi Guys,

sorry for bringing up an old topic. I'm new to the game here. I just bought an 06 GS and when I got home from the dealer i realized the rear parking sensors don't sound. Can they be activated and de-activated? Just wondering if they are bad, or just off. Thanks.

Hi Guys,

sorry for bringing up an old topic. I'm new to the game here. I just bought an 06 GS and when I got home from the dealer i realized the rear parking sensors don't sound. Can they be activated and de-activated? Just wondering if they are bad, or just off. Thanks.

There is a button to turn on/turn off parking sensors, it's in the dropdown box on the left. Hope this is as simple as that for you.

• 1 year later...

That's a bargain compared to what I was quoted to replace my malfunctioning right front sensor, which I thought I would have taken care of when I took my 2005 430LS in for 60k service. Having done no research, I guesstimated a $200-$400 job max. Imagine my shock when informed by dealer service department it was a "very complex" repair and would cost approximately $2000.00!!! [removing bumper, blah, blah, blah]. Needless to say, I declined and will be looking for alternative solutions or simply do without what is otherwise a convenient feature.