Flushing An 08 Es350 Sealed Transmission

KBRX330

Thanks. I was leaning towards not removing the tube. exchange fluid via trans cooler tubes only.

Do you recall if the drain washer was the same size as the filler plug gasket? I got a few Dorman 095-149 aluminum crush gaskets 15/16 (23.8 MM) OD, 18MM ID 1/16 thick to use as gaskets wondering if I need to get them from the dealership? Likely they are 4+$$ here in Northern Virginia

Thanks. I was leaning towards not removing the tube. exchange fluid via trans cooler tubes only.

Do you recall if the drain washer was the same size as the filler plug gasket? I got a few Dorman 095-149 aluminum crush gaskets 15/16 (23.8 MM) OD, 18MM ID 1/16 thick to use as gaskets wondering if I need to get them from the dealership? Likely they are 4+$$ here in Northern Virginia

I am not sure. I usually just get a new one at the dealer. Mine charges $3.

• 1 year later...

For my second flush, at 155K miles, I decided to change out the filter. I was surprised no one has posted a how-to for the ES350. It was a PIA! Thankfully, I found a how-to in a Camry forum. The issue is a hard to get-to bolt. You have to loosen some motor mounts to lift up the engine. If there is interest I can post a how-to. The filter is made with a paper element and was black as night. The paper element appears to trap more crud than a wire mesh filter. It should probably be changed at 100K, or sooner.

post-57570-0-18341700-1424000863_thumb.j

Also, for this flush, I used this little pump (Milescraft # 1313) which made flushing the tranny a breeze. Works with a drill and at the high setting, pumps four quarts in 30 seconds. $13 at Amazon. You will need some 1/2" ID tubing, 3/8" ID tubing, some hose clamps, and 1/2 to 3/8 reducer coupling to insert into the return hose at the radiator.
DrillPump300.24a1d7d0f4df7df5320d7aeebbe

I never change the filter. Even the dealers I know never drop the pan because of that bolt that is blocked. But I flush every 50,000 miles and after the initial flush the fluid never gets as black as the first flush. Remember this trans is really meant to never be flushed or drianed. So that filter is meant to last the life of the trans.

The OEM filter and the replacement filter contain a paper element. I believe this traps more particulates than a metal mesh filter. For this reason alone, i would change out the filter more often than not. The pic I posted is of the backside of the filter - where the fluid comes out filtered; imagine how dirty it looks on the input side. Granted, i did the first flush at 100K and this may explain why my filter is so dirty, but knowing that the element is paper, I would recommend a filter replacement at 100K.

The engine lift procedure is not really that bad. It was a PIA when I was down there and hit that wall, but now that I know what to do, lifting the engine will only add about ten minutes to the process.