What If?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Just for fun...

IF you [at no cost whatsoever] could have ONE thing done or altered or upgraded [or whatever] to your LS - what would that ONE thing be?

Would you get bigger wheels and tires? [we'll assume that adds up to 'one'] How about a supercharger or a custom exhaust system. Or a performance suspension package? What about a new and much more powerful stereo? Does THAT appeal to you? Perhaps you have often fantasized about replacing all of the leather in your car with red leather. Anything at all .. in other words. What would you like?

ME?!

I'd love for my '93 LS to have a professionally installed performance suspension package. Springs, shocks, swaybars - the works. One that allows my car to hold it's own while chasing an M5 around some mountain highway and YET comfortable enough NOT to become tiring. Then again - I must admit - I absolutely LOVE red leather seats in a car. Hmmm... wait a minute. Can I think about this one?!

Craig!! :)

Thanks 99lsguy!! :D

At least YOU you kind enough to take the time to respond to this question.

I have to admit - when a person posts a message and 50+ guys read it and don't bother to respond [and I don't just mean to MY messages] it's kinda discouraging.

Oh well.. such is life.

I like your summer/winter rims idea. That way you could have really good summer tires AND really good winter tires - instead of hoping that the all-seasons will be OK all year 'round.

Craig!! :D

Craig,

The only "con" by edmunds review was that our little ls400's were a little "loose" in the handling arena. Their quote was: " One trip through the twisties, and you won't mistake it for the ultimate driving machine."

Your suspension upgrades would solve that problem :D

I think the two season "rotation" is a little bit overkill here in the KC area - the snow isn't that bad. But I've always heard that the salt spray is DEFINATELY a no-no on the Chromes. So, if I get chromes - they'll be on my garage shelf for the winter :D

Why not have 2 sets for our LS400's - its part of the Lexus experience ! :lol:

Craig,

I understand your frustration with people viewing your message but not responding. It may have been due to the general nature of your topic, "What if?", that led so many people to view it to see what it was about but then to not respond. And no one responded to my two "new topics" either -- they were about a remote locking problem and phone installation question.

Not everyone is using these forums for the same purposes. I'm mainly trying to help others enjoy and preserve these cars with the little bit of experience I have accumulated over about 14 years of LS ownership. In exchange, I am hoping that I can get some help with issues that have stumped my independent repair shop and dealer mechanics. Others may be using the forum as an entertainment medium. There are lots of reasons for being here and all are probably valid.

There is a substantial amount of incorrect information floating around both this and the other Lexus forum in which I participate and it can be a little frustrating. Still, the correct information usually, like cream, rises to the top.

To answer your original question, I would not change much about the LS. I wasted quite a bit of time, money and energy trying to make my old LS handle better. The LS is not a BMW and I really loves BMW's! The most fun I ever had in a car was driving a 5-series and its competition in the "BMW challenge" at the KCI Raceway. But I like the LS for its serene, quite ride, its comfort, space, quality of materials and its neutral handling. The LS is a wonderful "everyday car" for helping ease the stresses of life.

I always enjoy reading your posts, Craig - whether I respond or not. And heck, Victoria is way prettier than Kansas too!

Jim

There is a substantial amount of incorrect information floating around both this and the other Lexus forum in which I participate and it can be a little frustrating. Still, the correct information usually, like cream, rises to the top.

What incorrect information? You should correct it ;)

I just bought mine few days ago. 1993 LS400, The car is preaty big and I think that 20' rims will look very nice on it if they will fit, I don't know. If I have the money to upgrade it I will put spinning rims on it, hopefully. And by the way, I'm new to this website and I think that this is the best website I have ever encountered. I try to answer other people's question if I know the answer, as much as I can. I come to this website about 4 times a day or more. The members even helped me out on whether or not I should get this car or not. I would recommend this website to EVERY Lexus owner. This website really makes me proud to be a New Lexus Owner.

My wish is a Nakamichi audio system for my '92 LS400. I have the standard audio system with no cd changer and finally got an answer that the upgrade to the Nakamichi system was very doable as long as the Nakamichi equipment came from a '90-'92 LS400. The info finally came in a post re an unrelated subject. Since August '03 I have picked up quite a bit of info. I try to post a reply whenever I think I mighht have something worthwhile to add. Just my opo, the LS400 was never intended to be a sports car. The vehicle was designed for high speed cruising on the US interstate highway system and it performs that function like no other vehicle. The priorities are comfort, luxury, superior reliability, speed and surprisingly fuel economy. I can't think of another vehicle that can match the LS400 in all of those catergories. Four Door.