Replacing Front Struts

I have a 93 es300 and it is begging for new front struts. I only have marginal confidence in doing this myself. How do I know if I need to replace the mounts? Do I really need a spring compressor? Special tools? How much muscle do I need? This car is starting to nickel and dime me and I don't want to pay 4 to $500 for repairs. Any online manuals would be great. I'm a step by step, picture to picture kind of guy. If I do dive into this, what struts should I buy? CASH FOR LEXUS, NOT CASH FOR CLUNKERS!

Go to You Tube and search for a video on replacing struts. You'll find just about anything mechanically that you're looking for there. Yes, this is a job for a DIYer, if you have access to the tools and a hoist or jack stands. You will most probably require a spring compressor (some auto parts places will even lend you the specialized tools if you purchase the parts from them. Check around.) and an air gun and compressor, or a breaker bar, to remove the larger nuts that have been on there for all of those years. If the top mounts have been tight all along and aren't chewed up, they should not require replacement. Good Luck!

I used to have a '92. The job is pretty easy. You need a spring compressor to remove the top nut from the strut so you can take the spring off and put it on the new strut. New struts do not come with the springs. You definately need a breaker bar. My impact wrench wouldn't get the big nut off the bottom bolt. I had to use a huge breaker bar with a pipe on the end for extra leverage. I didn't want to put a lot of money in my car at the time either. I bought the cheapest shocks at Autozone ($50?). One of my springs had broken (forcing me to replace the struts) so I got one at a junk yard for $10. You should buy at least a Haynes manual if you plan on doing anymore repairs yourself. Sometimes you can find them at the library also. At the beginning of this forum there is a Merry Christmas post. A service manual might be listed there for your car.