Blower Control Unit

davidditt

I had the old blower runs on high constantly problem, and thanks to the forum I found the Blower Control unit. I'm pretty good with electronics and I really hate to spend money when I don't have to, so I tried to fix the $267.00 unit. I had it pulled out of it's mount (where it gets the majority of its cooling)

and left it out for a couple of days. Forgot that hot is always bad for electronics. It totally died, No blowing at all, I think because it overheated. So I called a junk yard and found one for $50.00. Installed it and it blew like crazy. Always on high, again. So now I wonder, did my junk yard unit have the same problem as my original unit or am I missing the problem completely. Now by the way, I notice that the blower runs on high but turns itself off after a few minutes. Hate to keep throwing good money after bad. Should I buy a new BCU or do we not think that's the problem. Thanks for any ideas.

RX300 1999

From everything I've read it sure sounds like Toyota part #87165-2240. I'll probably order another one from the junk yard. Maybe the last one I bought was bad also, same year etc. maybe it's just time for them to go. At least I can spend $50 instead of 250 then at least if I have to buy a new part I'll know it's the right fix.

Well I got my second blower control unit from the Junkyard today. Put it on and it works. I happy, even though it took two to get a good one. Still only $100.00 vs the several hundred for a new one. Problem with used parts, can end up chasing your tail.

• 3 months later...
I had the old blower runs on high constantly problem, and thanks to the forum I found the Blower Control unit. I'm pretty good with electronics and I really hate to spend money when I don't have to, so I tried to fix the $267.00 unit. I had it pulled out of it's mount (where it gets the majority of its cooling)

and left it out for a couple of days. Forgot that hot is always bad for electronics. It totally died, No blowing at all, I think because it overheated. So I called a junk yard and found one for $50.00. Installed it and it blew like crazy. Always on high, again. So now I wonder, did my junk yard unit have the same problem as my original unit or am I missing the problem completely. Now by the way, I notice that the blower runs on high but turns itself off after a few minutes. Hate to keep throwing good money after bad. Should I buy a new BCU or do we not think that's the problem. Thanks for any ideas.

RX300 1999

Having the same problem myself I used an online help site to answere my question, there is a Blower motor relay that can go bad, about a 20 dollar part... found one at Napa and Rockauto.com....look up your car...go to menu ..."Electrical-Switch & Relay" and then ..."Blower Motor Relay" you will get a list...seems its a universal part used in many different cars for the same application. Its behind the dash right side. Im still waiting on directions on how to get to the part, but sounds like you might have been in the general area. Mine went bad when I reversed the cables while jump starting another car...so an electrical overload or just wear and tear can cause it to go bad... Hope this helps