Pros And Cons Of Buying A 2004 Ls430 In 2009?

bensisco

Greetings everyone. I need some advice. I’m trying to decide if I should buy a 2004 LS430 with the modern luxury package (Navigation, 18 inch tires), 61K miles and in excellent condition for $22K. I currently own a 1997 LS 400. My LS 400 has 131K miles and has a leaking oil pan gasket ($182 to repair). Otherwise, it’s been pretty much trouble free all these years. A couple of years ago I did have a corroded negative battery cable ($8 fix) and on really cold days the outside temperature display sometimes reads -22. But overall, the most dependable and best running car I’ve ever owned.

So, what’s the problem? Well, I was hoping to buy something newer than a 2004 model car. I’ve decided to spend no more than $26K cash (withdrawing it from savings, I have no interest in financing or leasing). I’ve test driven a 2006 Avalon, a 2007 Altima, a 2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ, and even a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and didn’t really care for any of them. I’ve also test driven a 2005 LS430 (the 2004 model is in another city).

Obviously, the LS430 was my favorite of the ones I've looked at and the closest to what I’m used to, although I’m not 100% sold on the shape of the exterior and it’s not satellite radio ready. The 2005 and 2006 LS430s come with too much of an insurance increase for me, which is why I’m only looking at the 2004 model. I’ve also thought about test driving a 2006/2007 Infiniti M45 or 35, an ES 350, a 2006 GS300, or maybe a nicely loaded SUV. The BMWs and Mercedes are nice looking, but I’m worried about their cost of routine maintenance and service. At this point, I feel I’m wasting too much time researching vehicles. I know there are a lot of LS430 owners here and would like to know your opinions on buying a 2004 LS430 in late 2009. Also, I would gladly entertain suggestions on any reasonably priced alternatives in my $26K cash price range. Thanks for reading my post and all suggestions are appreciated (I will read all of what you write).

Hello,

I bought a CPO 2004 LS430 18 months ago with 28K miles. Sold a 2006 Avalon Ltd with 12K miles in perfect conditon to buy it. Cost me another $4K but it's the best move I ever made in cars, and this is my 41st automobile. I've owned several Cads and Lincolns and lots of other models in between, but this is the ultimate for me. Absolutely the finest one of the bunch!

The CPO guarantee gave me the confidence to buy an older model, but I have had zero problems - zilch, nada! Only thing I added was a nice set of chrome wheels. The 2004 model is significantly improved over the earlier ones, and the 2005 and 6's don't really buy you much more in my opinion. I'm one happy owner and plan to drive this black beauty for a long, long time!. Several of my friends are standing in line to buy it from me if I ever change my mind. Fat chance!

I think right now might be an excellent time to purchase a used car. With the govt rebate, more people are buying newer, smaller cars and most sellers are more than willing to discuss price on used cars. Like Dandaydon, I have owned a boatload of cars and I will say, I have enjoyed my LS400 perhaps the most. I'm not sure how a 20 year old car is still so great, but it is. If I was of the mind, I would probably wait until I could pick up a LS460 in 3 or 4 years. I just might if I decide not to fix the A/C in my 400. I have not been able to justify spending $2500 to have it replaced so I pretty much leave it in the garage all summer.

I have a 2004 LS430 for about 18 months now and I actually like it more now than when I first got it. I looked at a lot of the same cars you did, being that I was looking for around $30k 18 months ago. The M45 drives ok, but the center dash is extremely stupid and awkward to use and the drive still is not as good as a BMW or Mercedes. I would have gone with a 335i, but at the time they were still around $38k (and I've since found out about a ton of problems it's had with it's high pressure fuel pump).

That being said, I recently test drove vehicles with my girlfriend, and if you are considering a SUV for around $25k, definitely check out the Hyundai Santa Fe. I was extremely impressed by it, and the low price and great warranty really sold me. Don't know why you don't see more of them on the road, but it's definitely my favorite SUV since the Pathfinder from the first half of this decade. Between the Santa Fe and the Genesis, I've been really impressed with Hyundai lately.

You can't go wrong with a LS430, I wouldn't care that it's an 04 either. You can buy a lot of cars that are newer but none that are more refined. I paid that for my 03 with 32,000 miles and am happy with the car. Was driving a Chrysler 300C SRT8 and was surprised how much power the LS430 has, althought I won't be taking it to the track.

You mention a lot of different cars and SUV's - have you decided what the primary purpose of the car is that you intend to buy? I would agree that looking at the BMW's, Mercedes, M45/35, are all in the upscale luxury and performance category. The LS is not exactly a performance option but if you are looking for the most refined (quiet and smooth) ride with plenty of room and more wood that you can polish in the interior, you've arrived at the best decision. I never considered an SUV, although my wife drives an Acura MDX so we already have one in the family. Once you decide on a sedan vs SUV and luxury over performance, you'll take your cash and buy the LS430 and won't ever regret it . . . unless you want to go to the 1/4 mile track with friends. :)

Thanks everyone for the prompt and sincere responses. I’m finding them very helpful. I know I have to make a decision on the 04 LS430 before someone else gets it. Though the exterior has a somewhat dated look, the car is loaded with contemporary features and has a great reputation for reliability. I just wish the rear of the LS430 was a little sportier or had a little more character (the front is nice). The one I’m considering getting is cypress green with a tan interior.

The temptation of course is to get a fully loaded, newer and lower mileage car for about the same money. It is hard to move on from driving an LS. I was disappointed with the aforementioned cars I test drove this summer, partly because I’ve gotten used to driving a rear wheel drive car. Also, it’s amazing how an old Lexus still has features that some new cars don’t have (like dual front power seats and rear AC vents). To those of you with Mercedes or BMWs, are the maintenance costs exorbitant? And those of you with ES350s or 06 GS 300s, have you noticed a big difference as compared to the LS430?

Finally, to 03whiteLS430, I would primarily drive the car to work and to do errands around town. Unfortunately, I’m the homebody type. I currently drive my car about 7000 miles a year (not much to see or do in my mid-size city).

I personally don't think the 04-06 LS430 looks that dated...its more modern looking than what you have...

I share your concern, but truly if you are going to buy a used car the LS is the car to buy. As you know nothing takes miles like an LS.

I'm looking at them right now myself, '05s and '06s. I'm confused as to why the '05 and '06 would be more insurance when they are identical to the '04...

My opinion, if you are debating buying a NEW ES350 then there is an argument to be made with new vs used, but if you are already buying a used ES350...I wouldn't even consider a used ES over a used LS. New ES vs used LS sure, but not used vs used. The ES is a great car, I love mine and its given me 130k trouble free miles but the LS is more car.

Just checking in again to read the comments. Thanks everyone.

To SW03ES, I always go to my auto insurance company’s website to get insurance quotes on cars I’m considering. For whatever reason, all of the LS430 models have higher insurance rates (for me anyway) than the 2004 LS430. Not just the 2005-06, but even the 2001-2003 LS430s. Now, I have no idea what metrics they use to determine which model years get the lowest rates, but I’ve seen similar phenomena with other car makes. If your insurance company does instant online quotes, you might try it on a few models to see what I mean. But anyway, the LS430 is growing on me. I’ve been looking at some of the various threads where members are posting pictures of their LS430s and they look pretty sharp if you get the right color.

Honestly, my first impressions of the Lexus cars in general, have always been "boring", until I've actually got one in my garage. All of the sudden, and as time continues to go by, they keep looking better and better to me. It's really odd. First look "blah"...3 months later "beautiful and classic". I've had my GS now for about 4 months, and it's starting to grow on me even more.

You might want to call the insurance company or your agent...that just doesn't make any sense...

I'm serious about the 2004 LS430 having the cheapest rate of all of the LS430 models. My insurance is with USAA, but I just went to Geico's website to see if other insurance companies varied their rates in a similar way. What I found was that with Geico the 04 LS 430 was also cheaper to insure than the 2003 or 2005 LS430. I don't have time to check all of the years at Geico as I did with USAA, but it seems the phenomena is the same. Not a big deal, but check it out for yourself. I have a friend who was surprised at the idea of checking the insurance rates before buying a particular model of used cars because most people don't think to do it in advance. They simply find a car they like and deal with the insurance rates later.

You might want to call the insurance company or your agent...that just doesn't make any sense...

I have just run quotes on 2002 - 2003 - 2004 LS 430s looking at less than $10/ 6 months difference between the (3) cars. There is no way it should be to far off from one to another. I also did this with a couple of carriers so I would call to check...maybe you are putting in something wrong and missing a discount?

I have just run quotes on 2002 - 2003 - 2004 LS 430s looking at less than $10/ 6 months difference between the (3) cars. There is no way it should be to far off from one to another. I also did this with a couple of carriers so I would call to check...maybe you are putting in something wrong and missing a discount?

Also just did a quote with another carrier we write business with...

04 LS430 408/6 m

03 LS430 388/6 m

02 LS430 376/6 m

Also just did a quote with another carrier we write business with...

04 LS430 408/6 m

03 LS430 388/6 m

02 LS430 376/6 m

Doing an online quote is not exactly rocket science. As for putting in something wrong, with USAA you can put in a VIN number of a car of the year and make you’re interested in (which USAA uses to identify the pertinent vehicle info) and leave all of your other actual info that’s on file the same as your existing policy and you get a quote for comparison. If anyone is with USAA or Geico try it if you have the time and you'll see what I'm saying. Maybe carriers other than USAA and Geico are doing something different. Or maybe for me the rates follow this pattern regardless of carriers. But I assure you I know how to obtain an insurance quote. :D

I hope my original post will not get sidetracked by the insurance issue as I appreciate the info in regards to the original question. Thanks guys.

I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. LEXIRX330 is an insurance agent...he's only trying to help...as we all are.

Anyways if you like the vehicle but are concerned about the physical age of the vehicle your budget of $26k certainly puts you in a lower mileage 2005 LS430...maybe even an '06. I've seen several '05s with under 50k miles listed within that range before you ever even try to negotiate...even if the insurance is in fact different (I would be shocked if during actual underwriting it wound up being significantly different) how different could it be?

I'm not sure why you're being so defensive. LEXIRX330 is an insurance agent...he's only trying to help...as we all are.

Anyways if you like the vehicle but are concerned about the physical age of the vehicle your budget of $26k certainly puts you in a lower mileage 2005 LS430...maybe even an '06. I've seen several '05s with under 50k miles listed within that range before you ever even try to negotiate...even if the insurance is in fact different (I would be shocked if during actual underwriting it wound up being significantly different) how different could it be?

I didn’t think my responses were defensive. I’ve been extremely polite and grateful to everyone who has responded to my question. However, my original question was not about insurance and after you and LEXIRX330 questioned whether I was sure I was correctly doing a simple task like an online quote, I simply and politely explained that I’m sure I am. This isn’t exactly my first car (it’ll be number 8) with the same insurance company, USAA. Maybe after 21 years with USAA if I was willing to change to one of the carriers you’re looking at then the rates would follow the pattern you’re suggesting. Or maybe you guys can check the rates with USAA or Geico if it’s that important to you and perhaps you’ll see the same pattern that I saw. But thanks again for all of the responses, even the ones focused on auto insurance rates. :D