Wife's Thinking About The Gx - Thumbs Up Or Down

clay1

I have a 07 IS 250. My wife needs a AWD vehicle that holds 7. She is looking at the 09 GX and also a CPO 06 GX with 48K. I know this thing hasn't had a makeover in 4 years (witness the tape deck in the 09!). I frequent this Lexus forum. Any positive or negative comments regarding a GX purchase would be appreciated. Also with an impending release of a new 2010 model, you think they are likely to want to clean house of the 09's - when is the 10 due out?

The GX has very little legroom for the third row seat -- the specs say almost six inches less than your IS250 ... and I've ridden in the back seat of an IS250 and it was not fun. :angry: Is your wife going to be using the third row seat only for child seats or for adults she doesn't like? ;)

IMO, a better choice for a true seven passenger all-wheel drive "luxury" vehicle is a Toyota Sienna Limited AWD with navigation with backup camera and Bluetooth, leather heated memory seats, dynamic laser cruise control, DVD entertainment and wireless headphones, 2nd and 3rd row window sunshades, parking assist, etc., etc. The Sienna AWD even has HID headlights which you can't get on a GX and even a more powerful engine with better gas mileage than its Toyota Prado/GX470 cousins.

OK, I admit I've become a little "Sienna crazed" since driving eight of us - all adults - and luggage around southern Ontario for a week in a rental Sienna last summer. It was quite, calm and comfortable -- and huge inside. For a vehicle that can carry a lot of people and stuff, the Sienna is the best I've experienced.

I have to agree, my uncle has an 04 GX and the 3rd row makes about as much sense as the back seats in the SC430. The seats are only inches from the ground so I'd assume when you sit back there you're knees come up to your chest. I'd say the Sienna is the best people mover but if you want to pass on the "soccer mom" van, the Sequoia looks to have a nice 3rd row. I noticed the 4Runner has a 3rd row as well but I'd assume it's the size of the GX's.

I agree. For 7 kids, you need at a MINIMUM a Sequoia. The GX won't float the boat with that many booger slingers. I agree with 1990 on the Sienna too. I think for what you're asking for from a vehicle, it's the best by a long shot. The decked out Siennas are basically the Lexus Minivan. But, as Kyle says, if the wife won't bite on the minivan status, and you want to stay with the Toyota brand, then the Sequoia, Land Cruiser, or even the LX470 are probably your better bets. You won't be happy with the GX. I've got it's cousin, the 4runner, both are mechanically the same, same frame too, and very similiar in interior size. The 3rd row seat is a joke. And when it is installed, you've got about as much cargo area as a 1978 Porsche 914. Got pets? they'll be riding on the roof.

PS: 7 kids? Man, leave the poor lady alone already! :lol:

I would like to suggest the LX470. It's an awesome truck! What are you looking to spend? You can get a CPO for in the 40's, 05-06. Lots bigger than the GX. Even if you wanted an older one you can find the 98-02 models for in the 15k range. I've had my 98 since new and never had any major mechanical problems. Just hit 101k miles. No major changes from 98-07. You keep it in good shape like mine, people will think it's newer than it is!!!!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=53607

I have a 07 IS 250. My wife needs a AWD vehicle that holds 7. She is looking at the 09 GX and also a CPO 06 GX with 48K. I know this thing hasn't had a makeover in 4 years (witness the tape deck in the 09!). I frequent this Lexus forum. Any positive or negative comments regarding a GX purchase would be appreciated. Also with an impending release of a new 2010 model, you think they are likely to want to clean house of the 09's - when is the 10 due out?

The 2010 is due out at the end of this year. lexus is actually making less of the Gx470 due to slow sales, so invoice is about the best price you are going to get.

As others have said, the 3rd row seat is ok if you only use it once a while for children under 10. Anything more, you will need a full size SUV or a mini van.

I have a GX470- don't even think about using the 3rd row on a regular basis. It's uncomfortable even for kids.

My previous car was an LX 470- great car, but the third seating is still not great, even for kids.

Before that I had a Sequoia- if you want a Toyota SUV this is the best of the 3 for 3rd row. Plus when you don't need it, the seats fold over and flip up giving you lots of storage.