New Ls430: Upgrade To 18" Tires ?

ronsou

I'm going to be purchasing a new LS430. Any thoughts on whether its wise to upgrade to the 18" tires rather than the standard 17" ?

For me, quietness and smoothness of ride is most important aspect, not handling. The upgrade cost is not much of a factor.

I'm not a car expert by any means.

Thanks very much.

if you don't care how it handles tehn there is no use to changeto a larger rim

it is for looks and handling only

it will diminish the ride the larger you go bigger rim mens less sidewall which means there is less cushion of the road

Ronsou,

My advise is get the Euro-Tuned Suspension (which does have 18" rims and 245/45/18 tires) but change the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact. Both tires are Ultra High Performance All Seasons Tires & both are smoother and quiet riding tires than the original Bridgestone Turanza E33.

LEXUSKRZY

2004 LS 430 with Euro-Tuned Suspension with Modern Luxury Package, Smart Access, etc

For best smoothness and quietness stick with the standard 17" wheels and tires. Some LS430's come with Dunlop SP Sport 5000M tires and some with Bridgestone Turanza ER33 tires. The Dunlops got top marks for smoothness and quietness in the Nov. 2003 issue of Consumer Reports.

Agreed, I've driven both and my dad has the 04 with the 17s. Couple reasons not to get the 18s-

1. It limits your option choices, no Ultra Luxury package if thats what you want, which limits your color choices.

2. it does ride firmer. Still well, but if you dont care about handling then why take any degredation at all?

3. Tires will last half as long and cost twice as much. Again, since you dont care about the handling why spend more for degredation of something you don't want?

I say Ultra Luxury with the air suspension, 17 inch wheels ;)

• 5 weeks later...
Ronsou,

My advise is get the Euro-Tuned Suspension (which does have 18" rims and 245/45/18 tires) but change the tires to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Continental ContiExtremeContact. Both tires are Ultra High Performance All Seasons Tires & both are smoother and quiet riding tires than the original Bridgestone Turanza E33.

LEXUSKRZY

2004 LS 430 with Euro-Tuned Suspension with Modern Luxury Package, Smart Access, etc

I have found the same problem. The tires are okay with local driving, but on irregular cement highway driving they are rather noisy.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an LS 430 with Euro-tuned suspension and found the Turanza ER 33's extremely noisy. Switched to seventeen inch Dunlop S/P 5000's and am very happy with the improvement of noise level etc. The dealer made the swap without charge. Great dealer. Lexus of Pembroke Pines, FL.